British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

What is a good rule of thumb for the value of cut hammered coins? Assuming a coin was neatly cut in half and has nothing wrong with it (other than the fact its cut!) and was one of the types that frequently is found cut (something like an Edward penny, not like an Elizabeth I shilling) what percentage of catalog price is typical? 25%?

If it can be ID'd much more.It is an important piece of history.A cut coin with good detail I go for.

Bargains can be had.I've seen cut groats.

I have halves and quarters in my collection they hone the eye in ID'ing.

What is a good rule of thumb for the value of cut hammered coins? Assuming a coin was neatly cut in half and has nothing wrong with it (other than the fact its cut!) and was one of the types that frequently is found cut (something like an Edward penny, not like an Elizabeth I shilling) what percentage of catalog price is typical? 25%?

An excellent question! I personally have no clue, but will be watching this thread in the hope it's a long one!

I have a half ( no pun intended) interest in these myself! I think Peter's right, in that the single, most important, feature, must surely be that the halves and quarters must clearly identify the host coin!

I would think this area is begging for a catalogue! Then watch the prices rocket! £££££ :)

I wonder if anybody has ever bought or found a cut half and then found the other half at a later date. What odds on that I wonder.

Aren't all hammered coins half cut?

Aren't all hammered coins half cut?

Peck put the Scrumpy down ;)

Some of the Pre 12C coins are so nibbled so a nice cut half suffices me.

They were used coins.

I have picked up bargains...ID'd one and paid for a few better ones. :)

It is a no brainer for an addict like me....HIC :)

An excellent question! I personally have no clue, but will be watching this thread in the hope it's a long one!

I have a half ( no pun intended) interest in these myself! I think Peter's right, in that the single, most important, feature, must surely be that the halves and quarters must clearly identify the host coin!

I would think this area is begging for a catalogue! Then watch the prices rocket! £££££ :)

It would never work. Hammered coins were never struck on a predetermined die axis. As it could be anything from 0-359 degrees, any cut fraction is a one off. As for prices, a £5K rarity sells for about £500-1K as a cut half depending on what is legible. Fractions of common coins might sell for more than 10%, but are unlikely to exceed 25% of a whole coin in similar grade.

Cuts go on eye appeal.

If you get a good pair of eyes and a crown....and a hint of the mint/monyer happy days :)

A cut half of a Saxon or Norman monarch will retain more of its value than a Henry III Longcross, for example. However, as has been mentioned, it is all dependent upon the eye appeal and rarity. A cut half of Ilchester for Henry III will go for far more than one of Canterbury and the same can be said for rarity of monarch and class, too.

A catalogue would be nigh on impossible as there are just so many variations that the catalogue would be mammoth in size and pretty much worthless.

Just to clarify re a catalogue...I was thinking of something spink-like in it's basic recording of type, setting out, perhaps, a rough valuation, one against the other, as they do in the spink book!

Maybe not! ;)

Just to clarify re a catalogue...I was thinking of something spink-like in it's basic recording of type, setting out, perhaps, a rough valuation, one against the other, as they do in the spink book!

Maybe not! ;)

That is true, a guideline as to rough amounts would be helpful. So people know which is worth selling individually and what's not. I don't like looking through the listings of plain, old cut halves on eBay when they're standard Nicole on Canterbury...

So many hammered are coming out of the ground.A hoard hits the market and Whoopie.

I notice a lot of the 50,000 Brussels hoard are hitting the market.

They are no good in a museum vault but need to be discussed amongst collectors.

I collect for the beauty and history.Maybe treasure hunters/detectorist's (there is a difference)historians,collectors,archeologists

need to get together for a big hug.

Maybe treasure hunters/detectorist's (there is a difference)historians,collectors,archeologists

need to get together for a big hug.

How much tipple have you had, Peter? It's not even Sunday lunch yet! ;)

Clive

I converted a "window cleaner nighthawk"

We bought our Springer off him and as part of the deal I I'd a load of Nighthawk coins.

I put them in 2" flips.

I put some books in front of him,explained the importance of our history and we are still talking 3 years later.

I believe he still nighthawks but puts stuff beneath my nose before putting on Ebay as "hammered old coin"

He actually keeps some nicer examples and is learning fast.

Times are hard and a nighthawked £50 coin is good to feed his family.

Clive

We bought our Springer off him and as part of the deal I I'd a load of Nighthawk coins.

I put them in 2" flips.

I put some books in front of him,explained the importance of our history and we are still talking 3 years later.

I believe he still nighthawks but puts stuff beneath my nose before putting on Ebay as "hammered old coin"

Spot on. Education is key. Good on you, Peter!

Clive

I put them in 2" flips.

Before going veggie I worked ferrets, lurchers, shot, trapped, fished, AND also Night Hawked with Harris'! I presume you're talking about a different thing? ;)

I suppose I'm a bit feral.

I trap crayfish without a licence.I poach trout.My father in Law (RIP) taught me how to snare rabbits.I fish and shrimp from the beach and my dog springs for local hunts.

I wouldn't change this for anything. :)

The joys of Suffolk life. :)

I poach fallen trees for firewood from Lord Bathurst's estate!

Doesn't count if it's from the aristocracy... :lol:

I take fallen wood for my fire basket which at this time of the year gets a lot of use.Nothing better than sitting around a roaring fire a belly full of food and a bit of firewater. ;)

Edited by Peter

I take fallen wood for my fire basket which at this time of the year gets a lot of use.Nothing better than sitting around a roaring fire a belly full of food and a bit of firewater. ;)

absolutely. An afternoon, a chainsaw and a few vanloads. Woodshed work tomorrow for me... B)

absolutely. An afternoon, a chainsaw and a few vanloads. Woodshed work tomorrow for me... B)

Good on ya Declan! We still carry a NICE chainsaw in the boot of the car (chain hand-sharpened [properly]), ready for the return of the days!

Soon to be upon us! Wood burner at both ends of a 70 ft steel tube! ;)

Good on ya Declan! We still carry a NICE chainsaw in the boot of the car (chain hand-sharpened [properly]), ready for the return of the days!

Soon to be upon us! Wood burner at both ends of a 70 ft steel tube! ;)

The Predecimal Chainsaw Massacre - in your local auctiorama SOON!

I'll just empty the sawdust out of me wellies and I'll be right there!

I'll just empty the sawdust out of me wellies and I'll be right there!

Better make the showdown in Stroud then, cowboy, we can fight it out over their dozen or so coin lots!

50ml of petrol each...may the best man win! I'm only comin' with 18" and rawhide so make it a clean fight! No scratchin' or pullin' hair, Declan, or I'll tell Peck!