British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Charles III?

7 members have voted

1. 1. Charles III?

• Yes, definately!
    • Yes, he deserves to, but Camilla should not be involved.
    • No, certainly not!
    • No, it should go straight to William.
    • I don't know.
    • Does it really matter?

It doesn't really have much to do with coins apart from the fact that Charles III is due to have his face all over our currency when the Queen passes.

I just thought as a personal experiment I would try to gauge the opinion of the British and World public in a small way.

So what do you think?

What i really want to know regarding the coinage is will Charles' coins call him Charles III or the proper version Carolus III?

Good question, latin or English.

It would be tempting, what with the lack of latin tought at schools and the general ignorance of the Great British public to go for the English version but I imagine they will stick with traditional latin.

Maybe I'll start a poll to see what people think!

Chris

www.predecimal.com

I can't wait to see what happens regarding William...

Gulielmus V (The amount of people on Ebay who think that means George is amazing!)

Sylvester.

Yes and the amount of people that contact me through www.coinvaluation.com confused about the date on their George III coin too, when it's really a William.

Join me and lets educate these people! (Not that 99% of them care!)

I'm quite a young man, I'm sure I'll be alive to see William on the throne, I look forward to it!

Wouldn't it have been more simple if the Royals had broken away from tradition and called their childen by names with no latin equivalent: 'Wayne', 'Darren' (Darivs??), 'Colin', 'Nigel' or 'Kevin'!

'Christopher I' does have a certain ring to it.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

I think they'd just Latinicise them anyhow...

Darren - Darius

Colin - Colinus

Nigel - Nigelus (actually sounds pretty Roman that one)

Kevin - Kevinius/Kevius/Kevus

As for Wayne well that could prove interesting!

Waynius?

Wayno?

I'll stop now :-)

Sylvestius

There was really a Darius wasn't there? Some kind of persian King or something during the Roman Empire...Can't remember exactly, but It probably was where the modern 'Darren' comes from.

Chris

Greek i thought, not a 100% sure on that though.

Sylvester.

Guest bob-e
What i really want to know regarding the coinage is will Charles' coins call him Charles III or the proper version Carolus III?

:rolleyes:

Hey Sylvester

We have already had Carolus III albeit Spanish. Link

Cheers

Bob

:D

Charles should be King, as there is no reason for him not to be, but he should drop the horse (*cough* camilla *cough* *cough*) :rolleyes:

Ewww Nastay... :lol:

She must do something for him that Diana didn't do, and I'll say no more!

Chris

They will have to resize the coins or his head to fit his nose on :lol:

To be honest I don't really mind the fella. Yes he's a toffee-nosed inbred who needs his eyes testing when it comes to his idea of beauty - let's face it, his love of equine sports appears to have influenced his love for Camilla - but he talks to trees and isn't fazed when people fire starting pistols at him :D He can't be all bad then.

I think it's quaint that we will soon see a re-emergence of the insanity gene which seems to have ended with George III.

It's not as if he's in charge of our nuclear red button or anything and I suspect he'll bring in plenty of tourism just through his comedy value :lol:

No Camilla though - I draw the line at Red Rum's aunty becoming queen. A side-by-side bust of those two on a coin might wreck our entire economy ;)

No Camilla though - I draw the line at Red Rum's aunty becoming queen. A side-by-side bust of those two on a coin might wreck our entire economy 

I think i'm right in saying that ol' charlie can't become King if he marries her because she is a divorcee. This is what happened with Edward VIII. However, if he becomes King then decides to marry her, therefore forcing him to abdicate, we'll all have super-rare coinage again!

So, is it just coincidence that Elizabeth is the same in Latin and English? I looked in my coin book at Elizabeth I coins and the spelling was the same as we use now.

I think when someone accedes to the throne they (or the courtiers) can choose another name for their name as monarch. They all have several names each to start with. For example, George VI was prince Albert and Edward VII was prince Albert too.

Also, I just discovered Queen Victoria's first name was Alexandrina!

Anyway, Charles is Charles Philip Arthur George... so take your pick!

King Philip I (Or should that be II? :D ) (Phillipvs?)

King George VII? (Georgius)

Charles III? (Carolus)

How about a King Arthur at last? (Arthur?)

Notice everytime in history there has been a prince (heir apparent) called Arthur they've never made it...

I think I may have seen a foreign coin with a latin 'Arthur' on it before, can't remember what it was though.

I've heard the rumour from a number of quarters that Charles might opt to be George VII. Presumably this is so as not to occasion a resurgence of Jacobite claims that there's already been a Charles III.

Anyone else heard evidence for this one or is it simply an urban myth?

Geoff

PS - not only has the heir apparent or presumptive twice been an Arthur, but he's twice been a Frederick too - and if William IV's many children to Mrs. Jordan had been legitimate there could even have been a few Geoffs :)