British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bernie Malis

Georgivs Iii Shilling Or Token

Guest Bernie Malis

Hi,

I have what appears to be a 1782 Georivs III shilling or token. The problem is, I do not see this coin in either the Blackbook of world coins (edition #6) or the Whitman Red Book.

The obverse looks like the Virginia hafpenny and the harp on the reverse is that of the North Wales shilling. Instead of stars on both sides of the harp, it has the date harp seperating the date.

17 is on the one side of the harp and 82 is on the other side.

The coin also has what appears (faint) to be Hibernia on it.

If anyone can identify this coin, it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Bernie

bpmalis@raytheon.com

I cannot find this coin anywhere on the internet or published materials.

Bernie,

Well you've obviously had a good try. Is it copper or silver? If it's copper it sounds like it could be a Hibernia Halfpenny, Hibernia being latin for Ireland. Having 'Hibernia' on it certainly means it must be Irish.

Perhaps this book would help:

http://www.predecimal.com/george3rd_coin_book.htm

If you register you can also post a jpg scan/picture of it.

Thanks,

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

Guest Bernie Malis

Mr. Perkins,

Thank you so much for that link to the Collectors guide for Georgivs III coins. I have provided them with my email and am interested in purchasing that book!

I agree with you regarding your Ireland comment. I researched some more last night and Ireland seems to be the biggest user of the Harp on their coins. Although the Harp on my coin is exactly the same as the North Wales Shilling coin, it could be closely related to Ireland.

My coin is copper, not silver. Part of my interest is the Hibernia aspect of the coin. A company here in the US in the early 1700's called Machin Mills was manufacturing coinage with Hibernia on them. These were the Virginia Half Pennys, but none of their known dates of manufacture were 1782.

Again, thank you for the lead to the George III book of coins.

Bernie

Yes I'd heard that some Irish Hibernia coinage was legal tender in parts of America at one stage.

I bet it's an irish Half penny. Good luck with the book!

Chris