British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Graded Holder Jargon

No problem peterkin. I've seen pictures on here where the Details look incused instead of raised, its the eyes, someone explained it last time.

Thanks Azda and Paulus. I appreciate it and the consensus (i.e. it's not just me). I was looking at Edward VII stuff today and for the life of me - the ear was incuse! Brain is saying - no it's not, look again. For something like that I know it's the eyes playing tricks, and I know to look away, give it a minute and carry on - but your coin beat me Azda, it was under the radar!

It's the 3 pellets in the reverse quarters of the Long Cross pennies that get me the most! :blink:

No problem peterkin. I've seen pictures on here where the Details look incused instead of raised, its the eyes, someone explained it last time.

Maybe it's a trick the brain plays, like on this Quite Interesting clip?

I do like Stephen Fry!

Thanks Azda and Paulus. I appreciate it and the consensus (i.e. it's not just me). I was looking at Edward VII stuff today and for the life of me - the ear was incuse! Brain is saying - no it's not, look again. For something like that I know it's the eyes playing tricks, and I know to look away, give it a minute and carry on - but your coin beat me Azda, it was under the radar!

It's the 3 pellets in the reverse quarters of the Long Cross pennies that get me the most! :blink:

Ouch! Yes. How about Celtic? All those knobbly knees on the pre-surrealist surreal horses!

Maybe it's a trick the brain plays, like on this Quite Interesting clip?

I do like Stephen Fry!

Talking of optical illusions, that clip was just a blank space in my browser, it would not load. So I replied to ask for the URL so I could watch it, and in the quoted post, there was the URL. So I copied and pasted to another tab and watched it quite happily. When I returned to this thread, the bloody clip was there!!

Now it's gone again!

Oh shoot, now it's back again!

Just like that Einstein mask. Pffft.

Edited by Peckris

The optical illusion of details looking incused instead of raised, is only apparent when looking at a photographic image though. To the naked eye the real thing looks exactly as it is. Presumably that's because you are then looking at it in 3D.

Although why, on a picture, one should perceive it as incused rather than just flat, I don't know. Any scientists among us that can explain the phenomenon ?

The optical illusion of details looking incused instead of raised, is only apparent when looking at a photographic image though. To the naked eye the real thing looks exactly as it is. Presumably that's because you are then looking at it in 3D.

Although why, on a picture, one should perceive it as incused rather than just flat, I don't know. Any scientists among us that can explain the phenomenon ?

When I look at the picture of the 1903 open 3 on Michael's website the 3 always looks incuse to me.

I only ever see it when the incident light is from the opposite direction to normal. So as I normally scan a coin in the correct orientation with light from above, when I scan it inverted, my brain takes a while to adjust. It's initial reaction is that the bright areas are reflecting light which by default comes from above the coin. The detail at this point becomes incuse. It works best with simple designs though.

This is one that always causes the effect to my eyes.

003-2.jpg

If you can somehow copy the image and invert it you will see what I mean.

I only ever see it when the incident light is from the opposite direction to normal. So as I normally scan a coin in the correct orientation with light from above, when I scan it inverted, my brain takes a while to adjust. It's initial reaction is that the bright areas are reflecting light which by default comes from above the coin. The detail at this point becomes incuse. It works best with simple designs though.

003-2.jpg

I did that, and for a split second I saw the incuse effect. Unfortunately, having seen the image first in the correct way, my brain quickly adjusted and the incuse effect vanished again. I usually need to see this effect right at the start, before I've seen it the correct way.

When I look at the picture of the 1903 open 3 on Michael's website the 3 always looks incuse to me.

Yep, it does, as can be seen here

Compare and contrast that with the other coin in the picture, which appaers as raised.

Don't know why it is. Bit of a mystery. Maybe it's to do with the shading.

Yep, it does, as can be seen here

Compare and contrast that with the other coin in the picture, which appaers as raised.

Don't know why it is. Bit of a mystery. Maybe it's to do with the shading.

Ditto. I think this is one everyone can see the effect on.

003-2.jpg

I did that, and for a split second I saw the incuse effect. Unfortunately, having seen the image first in the correct way, my brain quickly adjusted and the incuse effect vanished again. I usually need to see this effect right at the start, before I've seen it the correct way.

That's right. It is a question of your brain recognising "normality" and treating subsequent images in the same manner. When the light direction changes, your brain adjusts after a period ot time, but if you return to the "wrong" image later it again sees it as incuse until it readjusts.