British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Help needed with unknown coins.

A friend asked me about some coins and to be honest I have no idea. Can anyone identify these types of coins? I will try to get some more info from him but he did say they are old greek and from Istrien. Istrien as far as I recall is in Croatia so that info may be incorrect. Any info would be appreciated, thanks,

Gary.

post-439-002152600 1352745974_thumb.jpg

post-439-086560800 1352745985_thumb.jpg

post-439-007065500 1352745996_thumb.jpg

A friend asked me about some coins and to be honest I have no idea. Can anyone identify these types of coins? I will try to get some more info from him but he did say they are old greek and from Istrien. Istrien as far as I recall is in Croatia so that info may be incorrect. Any info would be appreciated, thanks,

Gary.

The last item does say ISTRI in Greek letters. The first two, with inverted double portraits, don't seem like either Greek or ancient, in my opinion. But someone may prove me wrong!

Absolutely no idea, Gary, but would be fascinated to hear about the concept behind the inverted bust! Doesn't seem a regal design to comission but, who knows? A lovely, mysterious looking, coin though!

Good spot, Generic! I've admired ancient coins - especially Greek - for a long time but I've never seen those double inverted portraits before. You live'n'lurn..

When I did a search (search " Histria coin Gemini" ) there were a lot of these about.

And virtually all on ebay.

Now I'm not saying that someone knocked out thousands of modern copies of the things and I don't know the area so can't comment on authenticity .. but when you see something unusual and the only source is ebay .. it does make me cautious.

Edit. I did a search on vcoins for Thrace and some came up under 'Istros', so maybe they're fine. The diameter will tell whether it's a stater, drachm or whatever. The two heads are the Twins / gemini /Doiscuri.

Edited by TomGoodheart

Wasn't this Istros coin along with another Black Sea/Thracian area ancient "Greek" silver the subject of some sort of scandal with faking?

Edited by VickySilver

Thanks to everyone for your time. Very informative. With the info supplied I now have enough for further research.

In the first image it looks very much like an electrotype. Does it appear to be 2 halves stuck together? I have a couple of really nice looking 'Greek' coins that are fairly modern electrotypes.