British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest cmother1

Tiny Edwardian Coins

Guest cmother1

Hello. For years I've wondered about the origins of a pair of cufflinks that I inherited. They've been in the family since well before WW2. They are made from two Edward VII coins (dated 1909)which look just like half sovreigns except they are made of copper and are only 5/8 of an inch in diameter. Does anyone have any idea of what they are? They seem to be 'professionally' struck, even down to a very fine milled edge. Sadly they've had a loop soldered to the George and the dragon side so are probably ruined. post-7668-094143700 1352649891_thumb.png

Many thanks.

post-7668-049603300 1352649593_thumb.png

From what is visible it seems likely that they are made from play money struck by the German firm of Lauer.

yes they are lauer pieces

Totally worthless to coin collectors but can you reuse them for something else?

Guest cmother1

Thanks for the info, chaps.

My dad told me a story about how a door to door antique buyer made an offer for them to my grandma in the 1930s, and even came back for a second attempt after she turned him down. Sounds like she really should have taken the money!

Oh well, I suppose I could always use them as cufflinks, though why anyone would want to go around wearing 2 tiny portraits of Edward VII is beyongd me...

Thanks again.

You would probably be surprised at the prices some toy coins fetch. It's quite possible that a collector would pay sensible money for these.

Nice cuff links though.Better than 1967 6d's.