British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Hello17

What is the best way to sell coins?

Hello everyone. i am thinking of selling some coins and i am thinking, what is the best way.

here is a few ideas:

- Beginner's lot. Are you a coin collector but have only a few coins. this will be a big boost to what you have. inlcuding some silver coins to give you the jump that is needed.

- I could auction some off. but my collection isn't worth alot.

I'm not sure about my local dealer :ph34r: . he's prices are quite good i think. i have sold some already to him. but for my not so coins, he says he doesn't want so i will have to find another way to sell them.

This isn't me ending my reign of collecting. i am just refining it to late victorians shillings and some pennys. ;)

Thats great never never be afraid of selling and specializeing in what you are really drawn to.

That way you dont just hoard and get a better idea where you want to go in the future :D

By the way ebay can often get you good money for even poor quality rubbish.

Try selling in lots if your coins are not good enough on their own.

Keep the postage down and describe the coins honestly.

good luck!!! :D

photos as good as you can, closely cropped, correctly aligned, and show both sides. That's what most people get wrong, so do all that, and yours will stand out.

Coppers is right, start everything at 99p and choose your time of day wisely and you might be surprised.

photos as good as you can, closely cropped, correctly aligned, and show both sides. That's what most people get wrong, so do all that, and yours will stand out.

Coppers is right, start everything at 99p and choose your time of day wisely and you might be surprised.

what time? i'll have to wait a few weeks.

i wonder if my UNC 1950's Pennywill be popular!

[]Edit []

If my coins aren't worth anything to collectors, should i clean them and make them shiny?

Edited by Hello17

[]Edit []

If my coins aren't worth anything to collectors, should i clean them and make them shiny?

Clean them and make them shiny if you really want to burn in hell for all eternity. Which, let's face it, is a sod of a long time.

let's see the penny - then we can work on getting the photo right before going live....

[]Edit []

Clean them and make them shiny if you really want to burn in hell for all eternity. Which, let's face it, is a sod of a long time.

let's see the penny - then we can work on getting the photo right before going live....

I'm not going home till tuesday.

:unsure:

whats junk you selling then?

:lol:

oh scott you are a tease - you must have more junk coins in your house than anyone on this forum ! :o

But as we all know you tend to pick up lots of decent stuff as well usually for 20p.

I am surprised you have never appeared on one of those programmes on tv as a compulsive hoarder. :)

junk? nah, only bargains for me :D

One man's bargain's... :lol:

Another mans junk yes :D

I don't know how popular it is over in the UK, but over here in the US Craigslist is fairly popular to sell coins and since you sell things to fellow collectors you get very close to retail prices. For US junk silver I can usually get 95-105% of spot for even 40% halves.

I don't know how popular it is over in the UK, but over here in the US Craigslist is fairly popular to sell coins and since you sell things to fellow collectors you get very close to retail prices. For US junk silver I can usually get 95-105% of spot for even 40% halves.

i don't think we have graiglist over here. something similar though.

hi there hello - did you know the best way to clean coins is with acetone and you could add to that a toothpick - i have always had great results using these two things both seperately and together .

Acetone is a strong solvent you can pick up a bottle on ebay for around £5 .

It does not harm to toneing or lustre, gets rid of gunk and dirt and allover is the perfect product to use on SOME problem coins.

I am sure many users of this forum have had good results from it..... :)

Edited by copper123

Hello everyone. i am thinking of selling some coins and i am thinking, what is the best way.

here is a few ideas:

- Beginner's lot. Are you a coin collector but have only a few coins. this will be a big boost to what you have. inlcuding some silver coins to give you the jump that is needed.

I'm not sure about my local dealer :ph34r: . he's prices are quite good i think. i have sold some already to him. but for my not so coins, he says he doesn't want so i will have to find another way to sell them.

This isn't me ending my reign of collecting. i am just refining it to late victorians shillings and some pennys. ;)

Best way to sell them seems to be dip them (details of how to: available on WWWeb near U or UFraud) so they are shiny bright,brighter the better, overstate the grade, or make no statement of grade but pretend they were left to you by dear grandpapa and you have no idea what they are and that someone told you that they are in fact coins¡ - and get them on our favourite auction site dear old Ebay at 99p starting price for each with "no reserve", profess no knowledge and exhort buyers to make their own mind up.

Did I miss anything?

here is a few ideas:

Best way to sell them seems to be dip them (details of how to: available on WWWeb near U or UFraud) so they are shiny bright,brighter the better, overstate the grade, or make no statement of grade but pretend they were left to you by dear grandpapa and you have no idea what they are and that someone told you that they are in fact coins¡ - and get them on our favourite auction site dear old Ebay at 99p starting price for each with "no reserve", profess no knowledge and exhort buyers to make their own mind up.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, you need to get WOW or RARE into the title, better still both.

...and L@@K

You are absolutely right. Sorry, I was remiss.

Yes, you need, as above pointed out, and:

STUNNING! RARE (and more ambitious permutations thereon, depending on how strong a stomach you've got).

Invent a new Variety: "L@@K, Stunning, RRRRare, Unique! UNC, DIPPED, 1 not over anything really, OVERPRICED TAT, Major INVESTMENT, MAKE MONEY NOW NOW NOW EASILY!!!

That's about it.

Still missed anything?

...and L@@K

You are absolutely right. Sorry, I was remiss.

Yes, you need, as above pointed out, and:

STUNNING! RARE (and more ambitious permutations thereon, depending on how strong a stomach you've got).

Invent a new Variety: "L@@K, Stunning, RRRRare, Unique! UNC, DIPPED, 1 not over anything really, OVERPRICED TAT, Major INVESTMENT, MAKE MONEY NOW NOW NOW EASILY!!!

That's about it.

Still missed anything?

I have a 1806 farthing in sweet condition (has some crud in letters) , i could say : 'RARE 200 year old 1806 farthing WOW !!! Don't miss!

I don't like L@@K , it's looks suspicious.