British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Anyone ever look at bullion shops for rare varieties/high grade? I've got a few that will keep anything British, foreign, or interesting out for me and I've gotten some scarce coins (nothing scarce British wise but have gotten a few key date central/south American coins) along with a large tin filled with Victorian bronze that I paid scrap copper price for. Anyone else do the same thing? I'd imagine it would be fairly easy to find scarce varieties being sold for melt.

Common varieties are squirrelled away.Bullion shops are few and far between.

There are plenty of varieties out there it is just where you draw the line.

Gotten? Surely Peck the spelling police meister will soon be along :lol:

Richard (Tom) picked me up on this.It is English based.

never seen one, do have a look at the dealers scrap though.

I've had a few results at a local antique centre. :) trouble is I go for a look at the coins and often come home with clutter.

'Gotten' is Old English and perfectly acceptable (and correct) usage to an American. I think it sounds nice. ;)

ive never seen a bullion shop, i wonder if theyve gotten this far south

ive never seen a bullion shop, i wonder if theyve gotten this far south

The one's around here only seem interested in lead and copper. :ph34r:

'Gotten' is Old English and perfectly acceptable (and correct) usage to an American. I think it sounds nice. ;)

I've gone and gotten me a dictionary :)

I've gone and gotten me a dictionary :)

Yippee. A Jockinese to English translation service, specially adapted for the Ayephone. :D

Yippee. A Jockinese to English translation service, specially adapted for the Ayephone.

WOW.....now that would be a very sophisticated piece of application software :D

Yippee. A Jockinese to English translation service, specially adapted for the Ayephone.

WOW.....now that would be a very sophisticated piece of application software :D

:lol:

Used a bullion shop for sovereigns - nice ones (BU) when collecting in person, grotty ones (nEF) by post. But they are just bullion.

I always look at the scraped silver in a local scrap dealers stall he is at all the local collectors fairs /flea markets.

The saddest thing is the silver medals from the first world war probably sold for £17.50 or so , it really was not worth selling them 10 years ago - they would have fetched a £5 note.

To just hold one and think about what the holder had to do for the medal breaks your heart.

£17.50? The darn things should be priceless!

I always look at the scraped silver in a local scrap dealers stall he is at all the local collectors fairs /flea markets.

The saddest thing is the silver medals from the first world war probably sold for £17.50 or so , it really was not worth selling them 10 years ago - they would have fetched a £5 note.

To just hold one and think about what the holder had to do for the medal breaks your heart.

£17.50? The darn things should be priceless!

I agree, but the truth is that most of them are unnamed campaign medals issued and handed out by the truckload. Entirely deserving, but sadly collectors see them so often that without a name they just won't bother.