British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Can anyone tell me how to identify a genuine 1887Jubilee 7 coin set. I understand these have been made up from single coins for many years, often in nice boxes, etc. I cannot find a photo of the original set and box. Help please.

Locko.

Can anyone tell me how to identify a genuine 1887Jubilee 7 coin set. I understand these have been made up from single coins for many years, often in nice boxes, etc. I cannot find a photo of the original set and box. Help please.

Locko.

Here's one on eBay, that includes a picture of the case. There's no guarantee (without provenance) that all the coins were originally part of the same set, but look for consistent toning.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/380489341246?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

(I hope you can see that ok - when I first saw it you could switch between the pictures which were normal-looking not all squashed up like they are from that link. If it looks funny, try one of the other sets linked below it, then do a "go back" - it should correct itself).

Edited by Peckris

Locko.

Here's one on eBay, that includes a picture of the case. There's no guarantee (without provenance) that all the coins were originally part of the same set, but look for consistent toning.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/380489341246?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

(I hope you can see that ok - when I first saw it you could switch between the pictures which were normal-looking not all squashed up like they are from that link. If it looks funny, try one of the other sets linked below it, then do a "go back" - it should correct itself).

Are you sure that's the original case? Because it said at the bottom its in a modern case.

Granted, I know nothing about Victorian proof sets so it could be the original since I've got no clue what an original one looks like :P

I've not managed to find a proper photo of an original official case. But this Bonhams listing shows how the coins are laid out in one.

Bonhams

Edited by TomGoodheart

I've not managed to find a proper photo of an original official case. But this Bonhams listing shows how the coins are laid out in one.

Bonhams

That's the long set (with gold). There is also a short set consisting of just the seven silver coins.