British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
declanwmagee

What do you reckon to this ebay seller?

Are all ken1carp's coins polished? Or is that one of my unforgiveable assumptions?

Based on those three and the others in his recent sales, I'd say yep.

All the ones I see for sale and on recent sales history look polished and have classic damage from cleaning/polishing.

Are all ken1carp's coins polished? Or is that one of my unforgiveable assumptions?

That's weird. That link comes up with "Your search returned 0 items" (for that seller). ?????

I've sold to him nice UNTOUCHED coins which appear on Ebay. 2 months later....dipped :( and mugs buy them.

I've sold to him nice UNTOUCHED coins which appear on Ebay. 2 months later....dipped :( and mugs buy them.

I've sold him BIN coins before, but haven't seen them since...least not that I've recognised them if they've been recycled?

Ah...dipped! That makes sense. They're always the same colour!

That's weird. That link comes up with "Your search returned 0 items" (for that seller). ?????

That's just a link to his current listings. There were 3 earlier this evening - they must have finished. There's always Completed listings - it's worth checking out for the uniformity of look!

That's just a link to his current listings. There were 3 earlier this evening - they must have finished. There's always Completed listings - it's worth checking out for the uniformity of look!

Ok, had a look at Completed. Blimey, the moron even polishes his EF and BU coins! Doesn't he realise what he could have got for them if he'd left well alone?? He's ruined a couple of BU 1887s, an 1817 halfcrown, an 1897 halfcrown.. What a pillock!

Ok, had a look at Completed. Blimey, the moron even polishes his EF and BU coins! Doesn't he realise what he could have got for them if he'd left well alone?? He's ruined a couple of BU 1887s, an 1817 halfcrown, an 1897 halfcrown.. What a pillock!

Well there we are, that's unanimous then! Thanks Peck!

Well there we are, that's unanimous then! Thanks Peck!

Oh, no! I went back and re-checked a coin I won from him...I hadn't even got round to taking it out of the flip. It was even photographed IN the flip, so looked better in the image than what I now have in hand. Yes, brasso'd most definitely! I've no excuses for being so blasé about it, only that I can collect up to 20+ coins a time from my postal address, this one onviously slipped below the radar! So, apologies if my initial statement was misleading!

Last purchase for me!

Right here we go

About 5 years ago I was at Lockdales table at the midland having a chat.They put about 100 coins in a tray at £10 each.I picked up a gothic 1853 florin.nvf

I couldn't live with it...uneven toning etc so sold for £25 on ebay.

After dipping it made £80.00 :o

Who is the prat here?

Unless complete novices or respected dealers...I wonder (I feel worried for Paulus)

why dont you contact him and ask him why polishes them all and tell him why he shouldn't

why dont you contact him and ask him why polishes them all and tell him why he shouldn't

He paid £25 and sold for £80 I think I know why he does it. :ph34r:

He paid £25 and sold for £80 I think I know why he does it. :ph34r:

It's a classic example of supply and demand. If there was no demand for dipped coins, there would be no supply. All we can do is to continue educating the buyers so that over time demand may lessen.

On the plus side though, every time a coin is ruined - the value of the remaining unadulterated pieces is enhanced. :)

On the plus side though, every time a coin is ruined - the value of the remaining unadulterated pieces is enhanced. :)

Until cleaning coin becomes universally accepted.

At the end of the day a cleaned coin is still a coin and if not abraded away still just as good. Personally I like to see coins turned into bookmark and enameled. That completely removes them from the circulation pool.

My older sister is a complete book worm so I bought her a coin bookmark.

Then she got a Kindle :o

I heard an awful story from a woman at work a few months ago, after telling her I was a coin collector. Don't know how true it is, but I've no reason to doubt it, as very plausible. Apparently her brother, who now lives in Devizes, is an avid collector, but after he got married, his wife's sister came to live with them for a few months, when she split up from her then husband. Anyway the story is that while she was at home one day, and they were both out at work, she found this guy's coin collection and started polishing the ones she thought looked dirty, with brasso ~ trying, but singularly failing, to be helpful. Obviously, as soon as he found out he hit the roof and she had left the house for good within a couple of hours !!!

Well you'd be mortified, wouldn't you :ph34r::o

Something to do with those polished Churchill crowns: screen-capture-156.jpg

Probably worth a few bob.......

Perhaps the Churchill Crown should be renamed the Churchill Seat? (AKA Blenheim Palace) :D

Perhaps the Churchill Crown should be renamed the Churchill Seat? (AKA Blenheim Palace) :D

NOw! That IS a good use for all the dross coins we see. How about Churchill Throne - if the seat was remodelled a bit?

if the seat was remodelled a bit

ie melted down for scrap? :)

if the seat was remodelled a bit

ie melted down for scrap? :)

Well, I was thinking: with a circularish opening in the seat a la comode.

But YES, melted for scrap/ exhibit in the Tate, yes