British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Interesting Elizabeth I Fake Shilling!

32 minutes ago, Rob said:

The rim is different by DG and MEV. Not the same items.

No, not the same item, but identical flaws, double-strike, etc. etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coinery said:

identical flaws, double-strike, etc. etc.

I agree - the double striking around ANG is most diagnostic (unless the DIE itself could be double entered??) of identical-ness. But both of these, if fakes are blooming good ones compared to the original post coin and its duplicates which are obvious casts with their pitted, porous and bubbly surfaces, not to mention the hole and plugging in exactly the same spots!!

59 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

I agree - the double striking around ANG is most diagnostic (unless the DIE itself could be double entered??) of identical-ness. But both of these, if fakes are blooming good ones compared to the original post coin and its duplicates which are obvious casts with their pitted, porous and bubbly surfaces, not to mention the hole and plugging in exactly the same spots!!

This isn’t to say the spink coin is fake, it could again be the donor coin, though it too looks suspicious? The coin I had was fake, underweight, edge-seamed, and taken back by W&W at the time.

There are green deposits on the Spink coin which could be copper deposits OR wax? I’m going to look over my browser history again, because I stumbled across an unusually high number of coins with same wax/copper deposits! Now, I just wonder??

14 hours ago, Coinery said:

Upcoming Spink sale!

IMG_9716.png

IMG_9717.png

Spink’s description: “…lightly toned on a curiously light planchet, a pleasing very fine.”

On 12/1/2023 at 11:55 AM, Coinery said:

Interestingly I noticed another of these ‘plugged’ coins in the Comber sale, though I can’t imagine CC overlooked it himself? I wonder if he made any note of it on the ticket, I know St James’ never mentioned it in the description.

Anyhow, I’ve just noticed it’s made an appearance on eBay!
For the record, I’ve bought from this seller before and have found him completely above board, a genuine misunderstanding I think!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395020461031?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=UtuevqZVSY2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=qduwzHkQTWC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_9673.jpeg

Just to say that the eBay, ex Comber, shilling has just gone over £200, which is more than I want to pay for a pitted and holed coin, Lis or not, especially when there are other lots upcoming!

I’m personally happy that it’s the shilling from which the other coins were cast, if that’s an element that gives it a nice pirate value, and some added numismatic interest? I didn’t share it here at the time, but I later noticed plenty of red wax in the reverse legend, further adding, along with its weight and general sharpness, to its likely authenticity.

Good luck if this interests anybody! :) 

Edited by Coinery

On 12/4/2023 at 5:04 PM, Coinery said:

Upcoming Spink sale!

IMG_9716.png

IMG_9717.png

Withdrawn from the sale!

• Like 1