British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Interesting Elizabeth I Fake Shilling!

I once had one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321000179711?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

What's interesting, in light of this 2nd copy showing up, is that the cast coin was originally a plugged coin! I assumed initially that someone had contemporarily drilled my copy (thinking it to be a genuine coin to carry around the neck), and then a modern plug was added by someone, who also thought it to be genuine and worth plugging! Seems neither was the case!

How odd to make a cast from a plugged coin, when there must have been better out there!

I have emailed the seller. If there is no response, I shall pop the link into seuk's new list for 'the treatment'!

newcoinsnov11186.jpg

I was always taken by how sharp the ET in Beth was!

It's certainly interesting. That part of the legend could easily persuade someone it's genuine.

But then the softer areas to the left, the 'rolled edge' near HIB and the file marks on the edge between 4 and 5 o'clock make you go ..'hmmm..'

Goes to show how it's not always easy to spot something dodgy. Particularly based on a photo ..

This one .. less so: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Hammered-Coin-/301380299931?pt=UK_Coins_BritishHammered_RL&hash=item462baa6c9b

post-129-0-99512400-1415186392_thumb.jpg

A rubbish photo (which I've had to edit) but the plugged hole is still clear. 301380299931

Hmm. Thought the seller looked familiar...

16kyh36.jpg

Looks like me deliberately buying the first fake didn't help stem things as this is now three from the same seller.

Hmm. Thought the seller looked familiar...

16kyh36.jpg

Looks like me deliberately buying the first fake didn't help stem things as this is now three from the same seller.

Love that crime reference number response to his feedback moan! :)

Just been looking over his stock and past sales! Here's another holed shilling he recently sold! 301367106048

Plus, he is selling another Lis shilling I haven't seen before, which he's sold repeated copies of, PLUS he's got an PM A shilling which also is suspect, I just haven't managed to cross-reference them against his other many shillings!

I'm on the phone at the moment, but can anyone pinch the images before he removes them? I'd really like copies!

I'm on the phone at the moment, but can anyone pinch the images before he removes them? I'd really like copies!

2gt14bn.jpg

2qwh0yc.jpg

Brilliant, has the same reverse as this one 301367223685 sold earlier...the obverse is too messy to compare! But definite copies!

Edit: it shares the same obverse too, which means they are hammered from dies in this case!

Edited by Coinery

been watching these, seems to be a fair few, seen them sold, then more of the same appear.

I've more or less dropped out of collecting because I'm not enough of an expert to spot these. Dealers don't usually have examples that are within my price range, which is why I stuck to the lower end of the condition scale. But it was fun while it lasted, throwing up the odd enigma on the way.:rolleyes:

That coin itself does not look like a hammered coin it really is to good , hammered coins always are never perfect by definition , its too round and well centred

And now CNG are at it too in their next timed auction, Lot 664…I don’t get it, it’s so obvious in hand, everything is wrong about it!

To be honest, a lot of the Elizabeth coins in this ‘Cloudesly Collection’ look ‘odd,’ I’d love to buy the lot of them, just to look them over.

179CC730-2593-4F1B-9B96-7D3101B02B8E.jpeg

• Like 1

Very recognisable as a regular on eBay. The plugged piercing is a real give-away. I'd really have expected CNG to know this. 😡

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

Very recognisable as a regular on eBay. The plugged piercing is a real give-away. I'd really have expected CNG to know this. 😡

Well they have agreed to pull it now,  having been shown this thread. Polite reply, but no further explanation. My correspondence was with their London office - 'incorporating Seaby Coins',  but the auction and I presume cataloguing is in the USA - though I agree it should be obvious, unless of course they have the original from which the fakes were copied....nah!. 😁

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Well they have agreed to pull it now,  having been shown this thread. Polite reply, but no further explanation. My correspondence was with their London office - 'incorporating Seaby Coins',  but the auction and I presume cataloguing is in the USA - though I agree it should be obvious, unless of course they have the original from which the fakes were copied....nah!. 😁

Jerry

They never even bothered to respond to my email, I sent 2 other examples too.

I’ve just taken a look on their app., they’re certainly in no rush to pull it, it’s still ticking away.

1 hour ago, Coinery said:

I’ve just taken a look on their app., they’re certainly in no rush to pull it, it’s still ticking away.

It has now been withdrawn on the web site.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coinery said:

I also alerted them and I received a prompt and courteous reply. They were probably inundated with emails😂

• Like 1

Interestingly I noticed another of these ‘plugged’ coins in the Comber sale, though I can’t imagine CC overlooked it himself? I wonder if he made any note of it on the ticket, I know St James’ never mentioned it in the description.

Anyhow, I’ve just noticed it’s made an appearance on eBay!
For the record, I’ve bought from this seller before and have found him completely above board, a genuine misunderstanding I think!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395020461031?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=UtuevqZVSY2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=qduwzHkQTWC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_9673.jpeg

Edited by Coinery

With just the one possibility that this could indeed be the original from which the others are cast?

Which wouldn't be a first. I've got the Charles I F3/1 previously discussed on this forum, and someone I know has the original Edward I Newcastle class 9 that cropped up on numerous occasions. All the originals have to be out there somewhere.

• Like 1

The rim is different by DG and MEV. Not the same items.