British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brauereibeck

Edward VIII matte proof brass threepence for sale

Has anyone seen this?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=397&lotNo=13773

This sold for $48,875 in Jan 2006 and now seems to be back on the market. It got me thinking... I wonder if there's any feasible way to get a syndicate together to try to repatriate it back to the UK. You'd probably need about 100 plus people in the syndicate to stand any chance of buying it.

Why would anyone stump up £300 or so just to own a 1/100th share of a coin? a) because it would be quite fun B) there are worse things to blow £300 on c) there could be some publicity/marketing potential in the whole enterprise (e.g. for this marvellous website of yours Chris). I'm not necessarily putting myself forward to organise it but I would be prepared to cough up £300 and chip in a few ideas.

post-7529-001402300 1349943017_thumb.jpg

post-7529-026283700 1349943032_thumb.jpg

You could send it by special delivery to all the owners so they could enjoy it in their collections for a week or so - it would end up very expensive though and the person drawn to receive it last would always wondering if it will go missing somewhere along the way . :D

You could send it by special delivery to all the owners so they could enjoy it in their collections for a week or so - it would end up very expensive though and the person drawn to receive it last would always wondering if it will go missing somewhere along the way . :D

Exactly, it would be like a time-share but without the sunburn. Actually some people buy vastly expensive bits of stuff like paintings etc only to then lend them out to a museum. I think what you would get is the idea of owning something. You would be part of the story of that object (my God, I sound like Dan Cruickshank!)

Point out the pitfalls and suddenly silence reigns! :D

This coin is for the seriously rich unfortunately :(

Interesting idea. Though personally if I was spending that sort of money I'd rather put it towards freeing the Ashdown Forest Five.

1628604-_19ec40d783.jpg

:P

Not sure if it is actually for sale as Heritage has a feature whereby others' winning lots are put up and THEY (Heritage) place that bit about putting an offer on the piece. I discovered this when out of the blue I received an offer on a coin that I never did have for sale. As a lark, I approved one for resale at 6x my buy price - well no takers....

In theory a nice idea.

However,the coin doesn't tick any boxes for me. :(

Ahhh what a softie you are Richard!

Interesting idea (I am afraid it would be out of my price range) especially if it increased in value over the decades.

Are there any porfoilios/bonds where money is invested in very rare coins - apart from that American pyramid type scheme we were introduced to a while back - oh and Rob's bank account ;) !

Interesting idea. Though personally if I was spending that sort of money I'd rather put it towards freeing the Ashdown Forest Five.

1628604-_19ec40d783.jpg

:P

I won one of these playing the Dolphin Derby on Brighton pier biggrin.gif

I think it's a major coin type from a notoriously brief reign, and will always be attractive from that point of view. Personally, I would rather own one of the few trial pieces with the different reverse. Those are also out of reach! So I'd be happy with a replica :)

Are there any porfoilios/bonds where money is invested in very rare coins

Wouldn't that be fun? Set up a hedge fund and buy coins with it. I think most of us would run it pretty well. I'm sure somebody proposed doing that with wines on The Apprentice once.

Are there any porfoilios/bonds where money is invested in very rare coins

Wouldn't that be fun? Set up a hedge fund and buy coins with it. I think most of us would run it pretty well. I'm sure somebody proposed doing that with wines on The Apprentice once.

Seriously, this is an idea that I would entertain if it were run well. It would probably have to be set up like as a company with each member having the status of a director and shareholder. Maybe the best way to approach it would be to set it up first and THEN look around for the right coin(s). It would, I feel, have to be inclusive rather than exclusive i.e. the more members the better and no-one person having a greater share than any other.

Seriously, this is an idea that I would entertain if it were run well. It would probably have to be set up like as a company with each member having the status of a director and shareholder. Maybe the best way to approach it would be to set it up first and THEN look around for the right coin(s). It would, I feel, have to be inclusive rather than exclusive i.e. the more members the better and no-one person having a greater share than any other.

Nice idea but it immediately raises a few questions for me:

If it was run like a company, would taxes need to be paid and annual paperwork filled? would a solicitor need to be hired?

If no one has the greatest share who makes the decisions? I suppose you could vote on which coin to buy next but there will always be some that aren't happy with the decisions.

Also what happens if members want to keep buying coins and other members can't afford to?

When do you sell? what happens if a member loses his/her job, retires or wants to sell up and cash out?

Who is going to run the operation? if someone runs it will they be paid or do it for free? If they get paid do all the members chip in to pay them (this will be an additional ongoing cost). I would imagine there would be a fair amount of work eg. emailing, meetings, phone calls etc.. especially if there were many members to correspond with before any decision was made.

Where would the coins be stored?

Is there a max budget buying coins (for example if you asked around some members could maybe afford to chip in £100 others only £1000)

There are probably more but those were just off the bat.

If it was run like a company, would taxes need to be paid and annual paperwork filled? would a solicitor need to be hired?

If no one has the greatest share who makes the decisions? I suppose you could vote on which coin to buy next but there will always be some that aren't happy with the decisions.

Also what happens if members want to keep buying coins and other members can't afford to?

When do you sell? what happens if a member loses his/her job, retires or wants to sell up and cash out?

Who is going to run the operation? if someone runs it will they be paid or do it for free? If they get paid do all the members chip in to pay them (this will be an additional ongoing cost). I would imagine there would be a fair amount of work eg. emailing, meetings, phone calls etc.. especially if there were many members to correspond with before any decision was made.

Is there a max budget buying coins (for example if you asked around some members could maybe afford to chip in £100 others only £1000)

There appear to be two versions of the idea on the thread. My original suggestion was for a number of people to get together to fund the acquisition of an important and prestigious British coin (there are a number of obvious candidates, this 3d just caught my eye). The other, much more complex, version of the idea that has emerged seems to be along the lines of acquiring a portfolio of coins. The absolute minimum for either of these versions to work would be to appoint solicitors and set up a website. The structure of the venture would be determined prior to it being launched (by the enthusiasts who would fund the initial outlay), therefore additional members would be opting in to something. If their circumstances or opinions later changed they could of course opt out by selling their share. A website would solve many of the organisational issues by acting as a communication hub (as well as many other functions). I personally would only sign up to something like this if it were run on the basis that the coin(s) are owned equally among all members (although some members would, out of enthusiasm for the enterprise, have a greater degree of administrative involvement).

Yikes, more competition for the upper end; just what is not needed IMO.

There appear to be two versions of the idea on the thread. My original suggestion was for a number of people to get together to fund the acquisition of an important and prestigious British coin (there are a number of obvious candidates, this 3d just caught my eye). The other, much more complex, version of the idea that has emerged seems to be along the lines of acquiring a portfolio of coins. The absolute minimum for either of these versions to work would be to appoint solicitors and set up a website. The structure of the venture would be determined prior to it being launched (by the enthusiasts who would fund the initial outlay), therefore additional members would be opting in to something. If their circumstances or opinions later changed they could of course opt out by selling their share. A website would solve many of the organisational issues by acting as a communication hub (as well as many other functions). I personally would only sign up to something like this if it were run on the basis that the coin(s) are owned equally among all members (although some members would, out of enthusiasm for the enterprise, have a greater degree of administrative involvement).

Hus is unfortunately right. Even if it was an idea which could attract the necessary number of 'investors' it would have to be run on a legal and commercial basis, probably taking all the fun out of the idea (and costing a fortune) in the process. There just might be an investment business (much like the one run by Stanley Gibbons for stamps) for a keen entrepreneur to create, but I frankly doubt it.

If you wanted to do something like getting £300 of 100 people to buy the voin for Britain, it might be best to donate the £300 to the British Museum with the stipulation that it be used to buy the coin. As a private enterprise it gives everyone who is in it about 3.5 days with the coin a year. With postal delays make that one day a year. The British Museum can show it to people every day.

I think the reason why my idea has gone down like a leadballoon is that I was too coy about the philosophical and, dare I say it,emotional side of it. So, I just want tobow out with this rather silly thought:

Have you ever found yourself casually glancing through aprice guide for any given coin series only to find your attention momentarily drawnto the 1933 penny or the Edward VIII florin or one of the other untouchable SpecialOnes? Wow, you pause to wonder, whatwould it be like if I actually had one of those! I mean, these are the Holy Grail, these havean almost transcendent significance, these are objects that will still becoveted 10,000 years after my demise. The idea of owning one, being a part of the story of that object, havinga direct connection to that magical object, is so utterly, utterly compellingthat even if ownership were somewhat diluted it would still be a mouth wateringprospect.

I told you it was silly.

I think the reason why my idea has gone down like a leadballoon is that I was too coy about the philosophical and, dare I say it,emotional side of it. So, I just want tobow out with this rather silly thought:

Have you ever found yourself casually glancing through aprice guide for any given coin series only to find your attention momentarily drawnto the 1933 penny or the Edward VIII florin or one of the other untouchable SpecialOnes? Wow, you pause to wonder, whatwould it be like if I actually had one of those! I mean, these are the Holy Grail, these havean almost transcendent significance, these are objects that will still becoveted 10,000 years after my demise. The idea of owning one, being a part of the story of that object, havinga direct connection to that magical object, is so utterly, utterly compellingthat even if ownership were somewhat diluted it would still be a mouth wateringprospect.

I told you it was silly.

There is nothing to stop you getting a £30K coin. If your collection is worth £50K, then sell it and buy the £30K coin with the proceeds. The problem most people have when they say they can't afford a large value coin is that they factor in the existing collection as having no realisable value. The problem in reality is one of attachment to what they already have or a fear of selling out too cheaply. If times get hard, I would say a £30K coin will be easier to shift than £30Ks worth of me too coins. A £30K coin isn't going to become a £30 coin the minute you buy it. You just have to take the plunge.

Ah, yes, braver words never spoken and how true they are. I have had this to occur: a great coin or set comes up at some seemingly unobtainable value and after appreciating it for the wonder that it is, I on second impulse tell myself that it is out of reach. But it then bounces around in my head the thought it might just be obtainable somehow. And quite naturally on the instances of obtaining the piece(s), a trade can be worked out direct or indirectly. I think it took a breakthrough instance to realise this, and recall trading SEVENTEEN fairly rare silver bits for a single smaller copper bit!