British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I recently picked up a 1876 H farthing in about Fine or better for about £7 at a local collectors fair , my question is anyone know the current value of this coin please ?

They don't really seem to come up for sale very often and hopefully I will be able to upgrade it at sometime , but it will do in the meanwhile. :D

PS I know I got it at a great price as 1876 H is an underated date and this is the first large 6 i have ever seen

ccgb 2010 values these at f £10 vf £25 ef £60 unc £100.

The value of this variety is slightly higher in Spink on VF+.

I think they underate the rarity of the coin then as ordinary 1876 H farthings are easy worth these prices :o

I think they underate the rarity of the coin then as ordinary 1876 H farthings are easy worth these prices :o

R14 in Freeman, R6 for normal size 6. Peck doesn't distinguish.

I agree that top grade that is underpriced, if we are classing UNC as Spink define. One went for £200 earlier in the year and I did regret not buying it afterwards.

Two distinct large 6 varieties (high and low) out of interest which do you have?

http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk/Farthing%20-%201876H.html

What do Spink know.?

We as collectors know the rarity.

They miss out on several....love it :)

It is large high 6 ,and like you say I am sure the guides are out on their prices on this one - in fact the best price guide of all is complated listings on ebay.

Maybe ebay should employ a few profesional graders and produce a guide.

i looked at compleated listings under 1876 farthing and as usual no large 6 coins are there :( :(

Strangely enough colin cooke never had an example in his collection . :o

I am sure it would have done the variety good if he had

It is large high 6 ,and like you say I am sure the guides are out on their prices on this one - in fact the best price guide of all is complated listings on ebay.

i looked at compleated listings under 1876 farthing and as usual no large 6 coins are there :( :(

Unfortunately that's not really a good guide - there's no way to filter "idiot buyers who have more money than sense" out of the results, nor "sellers who are less than truthful and honest", nor "buyers and sellers who don't see it's a rare variety". :rolleyes:

Unfortunately that's not really a good guide - there's no way to filter "idiot buyers who have more money than sense" out of the results, nor "sellers who are less than truthful and honest", nor "buyers and sellers who don't see it's a rare variety". :rolleyes:

So how do the "respected" guides filter all that out? When sample sizes are small, how do you tell whether a result is an outlier, like the examples you give, or a genuinely changing trend?

So how do the "respected" guides filter all that out? When sample sizes are small, how do you tell whether a result is an outlier, like the examples you give, or a genuinely changing trend?

As far as I know, respected guides don't take eBay realisations into account, and actual auction houses would only have a small sample of "idiot buyers" (in my opinion), and provided they know their stuff will correct the false impressions of "bad sellers". But you are quite right about small samples; the rarer something is, the greater the risk of unrealistic values.

Hmmm. What do we all think about the respected guides ignoring the single biggest coin market in the world, I wonder?

Hmmm. What do we all think about the respected guides ignoring the single biggest coin market in the world, I wonder?

Well, they always ignored Exchange & Mart - would you rate eBay any more highly or more respectable than that?

Well, they always ignored Exchange & Mart - would you rate eBay any more highly or more respectable than that?

Of course! It's not all cdesteve you know! :D

I just did a quick Completed Listings query on 1836 halfcrowns to compare those results with the respected price guides, just out of interest. The coin was chosen more or less at random, and the gradings are my 5 second assessments. Sample size, 80 coins.

eBay completed listings:

Fair £9

F £12

F+ £20

VF- £24

VF £38

VF+ £51

EF- £90

EF £205

As you'd expect, gentle slope at the duff end (bullion value?) ski-jumping up towards EF

and here's the average of the 4 books I use:

Fair £14

F £29

F+ £45

VF- £61

VF £78

VF+ £148

EF- £218

EF £288

Miles higher even in mid grades. Conclusion? eBay is much more realistic.

I know all the respected guides bang on about "this isn't what you'll get for yours, it's what you'd have to pay us clever people to get one", but let's face it, when most of us ask a guide "what's my coin worth?", it's the former we really want to know, not the latter.

I just did a quick Completed Listings query on 1836 halfcrowns to compare those results with the respected price guides, just out of interest. The coin was chosen more or less at random, and the gradings are my 5 second assessments. Sample size, 80 coins.

eBay completed listings:

Fair £9

F £12

F+ £20

VF- £24

VF £38

VF+ £51

EF- £90

EF £205

As you'd expect, gentle slope at the duff end (bullion value?) ski-jumping up towards EF

and here's the average of the 4 books I use:

Fair £14

F £29

F+ £45

VF- £61

VF £78

VF+ £148

EF- £218

EF £288

Miles higher even in mid grades. Conclusion? eBay is much more realistic.

I know all the respected guides bang on about "this isn't what you'll get for yours, it's what you'd have to pay us clever people to get one", but let's face it, when most of us ask a guide "what's my coin worth?", it's the former we really want to know, not the latter.

I only found 70, most of them rubbish. Of the 4 coins that were EF, two were polished. Of the remainder, only one even approached VF. (Completed Listings).

I must say as well idiot buyers don't just bother with ebay they also attend auctions as well - when a coin in a major l

London auction house goes for a fantastic price (due to two buyers wanting the same coin ,just like on ebay) , these forums are abuzz with Wow did you see that auction result, etc.

Common sense is not (often) a factor when two dedicated buyer want something :)

I must say as well idiot buyers don't just bother with ebay they also attend auctions as well - when a coin in a major l

London auction house goes for a fantastic price (due to two buyers wanting the same coin ,just like on ebay) , these forums are abuzz with Wow did you see that auction result, etc.

I'd distinguish "dedicated buyers competing" from "sometimes naive, sometimes idiotic, sometimes conned buyers" though.

I'd distinguish "dedicated buyers competing" from "sometimes naive, sometimes idiotic, sometimes conned buyers" though.

Been there. Sometimes you have to push the boat out, though it helps if you have a reason such as first example in decades, only decent example available, or even only example available. US commission bids are particularly problematic as they are frequently unrelated to the estimate or book price. Then it becomes a case of how many times estimate either party is prepared to bid which is alright once in a while as long as you don't make a habit of it.

I see on the freeman rarity scale that only one in a hundred or so 1876 H farthings are the large 6 variety possibly even less

this being the case I think it is seriously underrated.

1876 H farthings are quite scarce (esp in VF and above)and they remain with 1863 and 1875 as the key dates in the bronze series

We all know freemans rarity scale is often wrong, but not usually by much and as it is just an intelligent guess really.

How many have you seen please colin?

I am pretty sure it will not have been many.

Funny enough the coin pictured on your website ,colin as high 6 is in almost identical condition to mine .

I grade as fine or so

Funny enough and thinking about it the three rarest bronze farthings 1863 ,1875 and 1876 H have quite a few varieties between them .

Some only discovered recently.

Maybe someone or something just wants it to be really hard to get a full set ! :(

Funny enough and thinking about it the three rarest bronze farthings 1863 ,1875 and 1876 H have quite a few varieties between them .

Maybe someone or something just wants it to be really hard to get a full set ! :(

The search go's on.Freeman/Peck fell short.

What are the 1863 varieties? I must check mine out.

What are the 1863 varieties? I must check mine out.

Dot under lighthouse