British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Hello17

Latest trip to the local dealer.

Hello all, known or new. I have been to my nearest dealer, sold a few, purchased a few. also , a gift from the us.

:D

What i purchased today: (£6 Spent in total)(Grading estimate, not got my books on me )

1889 Shilling (VF)

1930 Penny (nVF)

1935 Penny (nVF)

1966 Half Penny (EF, couldn't find a UNC, at all!)

What i sold today:

1854 OT Penny (EF?) £15

1853 farthing and 1900 farthing £4

Scrap silver coins £4

Quite.. Pleased,

The 1889 is an amazing price for a silver coin that is over 100 years old.

1930 and 1935 are filler until i get old enough to get a job.

The 1966 Half Penny is for a year set (Thanks Peckris for the 'silver' coins in that set

Also i got some american coins , from circulation. research them.

turns out that a 1983 'P' mint mark Quarter is scarce in good condition. i got it! and the other one (D mint mark).

Hello all, known or new. I have been to my nearest dealer, sold a few, purchased a few. also , a gift from the us.

:D

What i purchased today: (£6 Spent in total)(Grading estimate, not got my books on me )

1889 Shilling (VF)

1930 Penny (nVF)

1935 Penny (nVF)

1966 Half Penny (EF, couldn't find a UNC, at all!)

What i sold today:

1854 OT Penny (EF?) £15

1853 farthing and 1900 farthing £4

Scrap silver coins £4

Quite.. Pleased,

The 1889 is an amazing price for a silver coin that is over 100 years old.

1930 and 1935 are filler until i get old enough to get a job.

The 1966 Half Penny is for a year set (Thanks Peckris for the 'silver' coins in that set

Also i got some american coins , from circulation. research them.

turns out that a 1983 'P' mint mark Quarter is scarce in good condition. i got it! and the other one (D mint mark).

Nice bit of wheeling and dealing :) I think you should have got more than £15 for an EF 1854 penny - but it probably was a bit short of EF?

The 1983 US quarters are a bit confusing. You find them in change all the time here, but they are rather scarce in mint state (BU/FDC) because the US Mint for some reason didn't release any mint sets in 1983 meaning that any mint state coins have to be found from circulation or original rolls. Since roll saving had not paid off well for collectors since the end of silver in US coins, most collectors were busy assembling proof sets or accumulating the commemorative coins that the US Mint was releasing for the Olympics, the first commemorative coins released since the 1950s. This ends up with a coin that is by no means scarce (there were over 600 million minted!) but is hard to find in BU/FDC condition. http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=572 is a good read about 1983 quarters.

The 1983 US quarters are a bit confusing. You find them in change all the time here, but they are rather scarce in mint state (BU/FDC) because the US Mint for some reason didn't release any mint sets in 1983 meaning that any mint state coins have to be found from circulation or original rolls. Since roll saving had not paid off well for collectors since the end of silver in US coins, most collectors were busy assembling proof sets or accumulating the commemorative coins that the US Mint was releasing for the Olympics, the first commemorative coins released since the 1950s. This ends up with a coin that is by no means scarce (there were over 600 million minted!) but is hard to find in BU/FDC condition. http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=572 is a good read about 1983 quarters.

What about the bicenntial quarter? got one of them as well, probably from a roll.

Nice to find a younger collector who understands that a bit of churn on his collection can pay dividends.

Here's to more great buying and selling :D

What about the bicenntial quarter? got one of them as well, probably from a roll.

Extremely common. They made over a billion of them. For Bicentennials (quarter, dollar, half dollar) the only ones with value over face are the proof/silver uncirculated ones. You can tell this because they have an "S" mintmark.

For US coins, there aren't many true rarities after 1955. You've got a few condition rarities but that's about it, the silver coins are worth silver scrap (1964 and prior halves, quarters and dimes are all 90% silver, 1965-1970 halves are 40% silver) but the rest of the intended for circulation stuff is really only worth anything in high grade. There are a couple of varieties (1970 no S proof dime) that are worth quite a bit but most of those there are only a handful known.

However, with US coins there are varieties/rarities aplenty when you go back a couple more years. For example the 1955 doubled-die penny, the 1942/1 Mercury dime, the 1943 pennies struck on copper planchets, etc. are all truly scarce coins and command big bucks.

If you really want to get into collecting minor varieties, pick up some Morgan dollars and look for VAM varieties. The Morgan dollar is essentially America's bun head penny in that there are so many documented varieties with near date, far dates, die breaks, etc. some which are so tiny that no one notices to others that can turn a $40 coin into a $400 coin.

Extremely common. They made over a billion of them. For Bicentennials (quarter, dollar, half dollar) the only ones with value over face are the proof/silver uncirculated ones. You can tell this because they have an "S" mintmark.

For US coins, there aren't many true rarities after 1955. You've got a few condition rarities but that's about it, the silver coins are worth silver scrap (1964 and prior halves, quarters and dimes are all 90% silver, 1965-1970 halves are 40% silver) but the rest of the intended for circulation stuff is really only worth anything in high grade. There are a couple of varieties (1970 no S proof dime) that are worth quite a bit but most of those there are only a handful known.

However, with US coins there are varieties/rarities aplenty when you go back a couple more years. For example the 1955 doubled-die penny, the 1942/1 Mercury dime, the 1943 pennies struck on copper planchets, etc. are all truly scarce coins and command big bucks.

If you really want to get into collecting minor varieties, pick up some Morgan dollars and look for VAM varieties. The Morgan dollar is essentially America's bun head penny in that there are so many documented varieties with near date, far dates, die breaks, etc. some which are so tiny that no one notices to others that can turn a $40 coin into a $400 coin.

I asked about them. unfortunatly (for me) he sold all of them at a fair).

he also didn't have any 1966 pennys except a few in the scrap which were YUCKY :blink:

he also didn't have any 1966 pennys except a few in the scrap which were YUCKY :blink:

You won't find it difficult to get a decent 1966 penny.

Yeah, cheap and fun US coins to collect are:

Mercury dimes (expect to pay $4-7 for one in AU-low uncirculated grades, or $2.50 (silver scrap) for a common date in circulated grade)

Wheat pennies (I don't particularly like them, but common dates can be found circulated for 3-50 cents, or $1-2 in BU)

The entire Jefferson nickel collection can be bought in circulated grade for about 10-20 cents per coin (most can be found in change over here in the US, but naturally if you're not in the US you'll have to pay over face) except for a couple key dates (like the 1950-D) and the 35% silver war nickels (1942-1945) which sell for about $2 in silver scrap.

Buffalo nickels can be found for cheap, especially if they have no date, the date wears off very quickly but can be chemically restored by soaking in various solutions. This will naturally damage the coin, but it can be a fun treasure hunt and a cheap collection since dateless buffaloes sell for little more than 7-10 cents.

If you just want a type set, you can find a proof set (before 1999 will be the cheapest since 1999 started the state quarters program and so they have more coins and therefore are more expensive) with some searching you can find some with excellent cameo contrast and frosting. Most modern commemoratives trade near silver melt.

Also, you might want to grab a copy of the Red Book for US coins (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1582381887/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used for an example), its a pretty useful reference and if nothing else it gives you nice pictures of the coins. For an older version (pictures and such will still be there, prices will be slightly off) you can pick one up for essentially just shipping.

Bought a few silver dimes for £2 each

I pick up wheaties for 10p often, usualy only take the good ones or pre 1940.

1012907.jpg

1012908.jpg

Edited by scott

1012907.jpg

1012908.jpg

That's interesting. The coins still featured the fasces in 1945 :o . I'd imagine everyone knew what it was in 1945 - certainly Mussolini used it liberally, not to mention the half dozen other fascist states that were falling or had fallen, by then.

But they'd switched it for a torch by 1964...

1012907.jpg

1012908.jpg

That's interesting. The coins still featured the fasces in 1945 :o . I'd imagine everyone knew what it was in 1945 - certainly Mussolini used it liberally, not to mention the half dozen other fascist states that were falling or had fallen, by then.

But they'd switched it for a torch by 1964...

I don't remember reading that the fasces ever really carrying a negative connotation on the Mercury dime despite its connection to fascism. I suppose since its been on the dime since 1916 that people just got used to it, whereas if they had introduced it during wartime it no doubt would have gotten more attention! The dime was redesigned in 1946 to honor president (dictator for life?) FDR who had recently died.

On the other hand, poor John Sinnock got a lot of press for putting his initials on the dime because people thought a Soviet agent at the mint had put those initials, JS for Joseph Stalin. So when he designed his next coin, the Franklin Half Dollar he used his full initials (JRS) and still rumors persisted that it was Stalin's initials (despite Stalin's middle name being Vissarionovich!).

Similarly, Gilroy Robert's stylized signature on the Kennedy Half Dollar was taken by the paranoid American public to be a hammer and a sickle (it does resemble it vaguely).

I guess during the Cold War Americans were expecting Soviet agents at the mint putting secret designs in the new coinage!