British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

VickySilver

1853 Currency Groat - Has Anybody Ever Actually Seen One?

I see one of these DNW groats (the slightly less good one, on the left) has now turned up on eBay, item 272728514017, but at £595 buy it now, I'm not convinced it will find a buyer??

Yea, I saw that as well. Pass.....One day that might be a good value, but think seller possibly optimistic by about 200 or so.

interesting read, didn't know the little groats were so collectable. found a couple detecting, gonna have to dig em out now 

Guest placsom

I purchased  the 1837 victoria  groat  and 1862 groats, from dnw 

Was that the sale just past? Good, as I would have been bidding on the '37 for sure...PM me if you like as I am interested as to what it went for?

I am starting to think rarity for proof Vicky Groats is something like from most to least rare and based on the last 20 years or so:

1857>1837>1838>1862>1853>1842>>1839

Guest placsom

VickySilver.... 1837 victoria proof  top condition went for £8.500,,,,,, the lesser one ( my one ) £3.200...was informed seller was disapointed in these prices.

Oh, ok, then you meant the earlier sale. I nearly went for a bid at your piece but let it go as I wanted the higher grade. Hard to believe disappointment at the prices, these are after all only lowly groats. I had mentally predicted them at 5k and 2-2.5k. Love 'em anyway.

I wonder what such a price would mean for coins such as a truly uncirculated 1854 florin or the currency 1839 half crown in MS64? Or the 1893 Jubilee 6d in like grade?

On 30 June 2017 at 5:30 PM, Martinminerva said:

I see one of these DNW groats (the slightly less good one, on the left) has now turned up on eBay, item 272728514017, but at £595 buy it now, I'm not convinced it will find a buyer??

It has been relisted, I see, item number:282668781681 but it is still £575.  Still way too much, I feel?

What might its actual value be? I know - whatever someone is prepared to pay - but how much is that?!

As above, IMO about 400-500. They are still 100 high on this price.