British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

2002 (or Later) Jamaica Proof Sets - Do They Exist?

Hi all, has anybody confirmation that Jamaica proof sets of 2002 exist? They are listed in Krause, but Bank of Jamaica and Royal Mint where they should have been struck do not offer information. I would be interested in information or even purchase.

After 2001, there is no actual record of a BOJ issue. A supposedly 2002 set was offered last year in Toronto or Vancouver, forget which, but withdrawn before auction. All I remember is that it wasn't Empire Auctions or Waddingtons, so probably Vancouver.

Yes, that jibes with my knowledge. Not clear if they are out there or not. Not many, not much demand. That makes them interesting. Do you collect these?

I need the 1991 as well, and missed the one on ebay not so long ago...

I don't collect these but someone has asked me to find a few different sets for him. Also according to Krause, the set doesn't include KM# 185, the silver proof Millenium $50 which has no date but was issued 2002.

That makes them a challenge, since they are not all that attractive and they need to lose the patriots theme, just like the USA needs to change IMO.

Well, I will be a buyer for the 91 or 02 sets. BTW, PM me for a few other dates of sets that I have doubles of...

My Krause says that KM 185 is included in the 2002 set - if it exists. No further confirmation on this.

Another question that I have hinted at before:

If mintage is listed at 500, or whatever it may be, is that the Royal Mint authorized mintage or the actual net mintage?

Also, how (or is it arbitrary) does the Royal Mint distributes these sets? How many sold by them versus how many

go to the Central Bank, B of J in this instance? Leftovers? What becomes of them if there are, and are these included

in the released "mintage" figure?

I hope a few people read this post and can comment...If not will post these questions separately.

Edited by VickySilver

Well, this is NOT a popular topic!

Will note that a 1996 Jamaica proof set just sold on US Ebay recently. Damn! Now I need that one as well. I wonder which other years might be out there?

Still no confirmation of the 2002 set. Might a 1997 be out there as well?