British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

del

1696 sixpence mule?

bought this 'sixpence' dated 1696.nice coin,however on the reverse it is minted on a large flan.the obverse is well struck and fits the coin nicely and post-7580-080664700 1347479488_thumb.jpgseems larger than a normal sixpence.could the obverse be a shilling and the reverse be a sixpence?

bought this 'sixpence' dated 1696.nice coin,however on the reverse it is minted on a large flan.the obverse is well struck and fits the coin nicely and post-7580-080664700 1347479488_thumb.jpgseems larger than a normal sixpence.could the obverse be a shilling and the reverse be a sixpence?

heres a pic of the obversepost-7580-039541300 1347479635_thumb.jpg

heres a pic of the obversepost-7580-039541300 1347479635_thumb.jpg

What weight have you got?

Spread flan. The force used has been sufficient to impress the design plus displace the metal beyond the boundaries of the dies.

Spread flan. The force used has been sufficient to impress the design plus displace the metal beyond the boundaries of the dies.

That explains the reverse but i see no signs of that on the obverse.the bust and legends are bigger than another sixpence i have

That explains the reverse but i see no signs of that on the obverse.the bust and legends are bigger than another sixpence i have

If your proposal is that this could be a shilling obverse, sixpence reverse, then the flan would either have to be extremely thin, if it's spread to the dimensions of a shilling, or it's actually a shilling flan, given that the obverse sits on it about right! So, what's the weight?

If your proposal is that this could be a shilling obverse, sixpence reverse, then the flan would either have to be extremely thin, if it's spread to the dimensions of a shilling, or it's actually a shilling flan, given that the obverse sits on it about right! So, what's the weight?

dont know the weight dont have any scales the coin measures 23mm

A sixpence is 21mm which bear out the spread flan theory - so at 23mm just over 10% too large.

Using the widest diameter on your coin as 23mm, the ratio of coin diameter to the outside of the legend diameter on my screen is 65:56 The corresponding dimensions on my example are 21mm and 19.5mm, so the diameter of the outside of the legend is within 0.3mm for a spread and not spread example. Sixpence it is. The bust goes all the way to the edge on a sixpence.

A sixpence is 21mm which bear out the spread flan theory - so at 23mm just over 10% too large.

ok so nothing spectacular then.does this spread flan effect the value?thanks rob youve put some effort into this

Using the widest diameter on your coin as 23mm, the ratio of coin diameter to the outside of the legend diameter on my screen is 65:56 The corresponding dimensions on my example are 21mm and 19.5mm, so the diameter of the outside of the legend is within 0.3mm for a spread and not spread example. Sixpence it is. The bust goes all the way to the edge on a sixpence.

ok so nothing spectacular then.does this spread flan effect the value?thanks rob youve put some effort into this

This won't affect the value which will still be based on the grade and type.