British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest bash_8

British 1916 Old One penny

Guest bash_8

Hello

I am new to this site but have come across a 1916 One Penny.It is in reasonable condition. Can someone please let me know how much it might be worth. I have not found a 1916 one and the value seems to depend on the year.

Many Thanks

Hi bash_8

I'm afraid that in reasonable condition it's not really worth more than a few pence. (Over 86 million were made.)

It would need to be in very fine condition to be worth £1.

In uncirculated condition with full lustre it would go for around £35

Hope this helps.

Guest bash_8

Thanks that is what i suspected! It was only after watching Antiques roadshow a few hours ago and a 1933 coin ( apparently only 8 were made) if genuine, could be worth 20k+. Obviously you can see i know very little about coins- but might start showing an interest now! Thanks for your prompt reply.

Thanks that is what i suspected! It was only after watching Antiques roadshow a few hours ago and a 1933 coin ( apparently only 8 were made) if genuine, could be worth 20k+. Obviously you can see i know very little about coins- but might start showing an interest now! Thanks for your prompt reply.

Ah the legendary 1933 penny, yes that is true they are worth something like that, and yes only 7 or 8 were made.

I still sometimes look for them when i find a whole load of pennies. I know that there's no point looking for one cos i'm not going to find one ever... but hey it's fun just thinking that one maybe out there somewhere. (I think they're all accounted for, but who knows?)

1954 pennies are just as valuable (actually maybe that should be penny cos i think only 1 was made)? [dunno not really my area]... but you never know.

I found the following reference to a 1933 penny turning up on the Antiques Roadshow...

"1933 penny was on the bbc prog.The Antiques Roadshow dated 17-11-02.the expert was unsure of its validity,but suggested that it was genuine. ...". Anyone know if it turned out to be genuine?

Ah, so that explains why I suddenly had 10 enquires about various old pennies this evening. It's down to the BBC sparking a little something in its viewers again. Fortunately, it was not misunderstood this time!

1954 pennies are just as valuable (actually maybe that should be penny cos i think only 1 was made)? [dunno not really my area]... but you never know.

Only one is known to exist but it is suspected that there may be more than one.....So keep looking Sylvester!

About the 1933 Penny, it was Antiques Roadshow that the Lady wason. The expert gave the usual possibility that it was a 1938 one with the "8" filed down, the coin split in half (as it had George VI instead of George V on the obverse) and the reverse stuck to an obverse of a George V penny. He also said something about Australian pennies but I've forgotten it. It was another method on how to make them. BBC 1933 Penny. Don't worry - I've sent them an email regarding the metal used!

Thanks, Oli! After learning of the show, I was wondering if the missing/stolen 1933 had turned up.

Im sure it will some time in the future!

Guest Rob

I have a penny its 1916 and silver not copper is it rare

1 minute ago, Guest Rob said:

1916 pennies aren't copper anyway, and probably not but if you can post pictures or any other information it would help

Maundy (11mm diameter) or regular currency (30mm diameter)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guest Rob said:

We can't really make any meaningful assessment or even comment, until we see it. Please post a pic, including both sides of the coin. Thanks.  

Guest Andrew

Hi, I have a 1916 penny but it has a letter R in a box stamped on it? I've taken it to an antiques where I'm from and he suggested it's a rejected coin and very rare!? Have you ever heard of this before? 

I will get pictures tomorrow for you .

thanks

4 hours ago, Guest Andrew said:

Hi, I have a 1916 penny but it has a letter R in a box stamped on it? I've taken it to an antiques where I'm from and he suggested it's a rejected coin and very rare!? Have you ever heard of this before? 

I will get pictures tomorrow for you .

thanks

Sounds like a counter stamped coin, which anyone can do so not as rare as maybe the dealer alluded to. Pictures would be good.

Guest Andrew

Good morning and thank you for your input I've also noticed it is 1917 and not 16 Here are a couple of pictures:

thank you

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

It does look like a typical counterstamp on a worn coin, you can find many similar on ebay.

There are some rare counterstamps so I cannot comment on the type of stamp it is but it was very common practice for anyone to do this so I don't think it's going to be worth anything. Happy to be corrected.

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum.

Did the guy at the antique shop not mention it was R for RANG ;)

Guest Andrew

Hi, no he had it for a few days and that's all he could come up with as he's never heard of it before or even seen 1 , which I thought was a bit funny seeing as he is a coin expert within the antique shop. 

I've tried to look myself but can't find anything anywhere! 

Thanks

Unofficial counterstamping of coins was especially common practice during the Victorian & Edwardian eras. Sometimes it was an entire name, like J.T.Smith, or other times it was a slogan such as "votes for women". Obviously various individuals, for different reasons, obtained letter/number punches and deliberately counterstamped coins.   

It could be done officially as well, as explained here

Guest I look through all my coin

Ihave 1 1981 2p new pence and i have 3 2p 1971 new pence and 1 1971 1p new pence how mush would they be worth if they were in great condition

19 minutes ago, Guest I look through all my coin said:

Ihave 1 1981 2p new pence and i have 3 2p 1971 new pence and 1 1971 1p new pence how mush would they be worth if they were in great condition

I think if my maths is right 9p ?.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I think if my maths is right 9p ?.

A+ Pete