British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

1905 Florin - fair price for the grade?

And this has been dipped to long 120985595521 someone insert url please

Here:

http://www.ebay.co.u...5521%26_rdc%3D1

Horrid. Hard to see that toning back, ever.

Which basically comes back to ski' question and whether/or rather he had/has a suspision that 1 or 2 of his coins had been dipped. You now have 2 references Ski. PS.........The coin in question from the url is from a Mr Platt, notorious for overgrading and dipping, that's his wifes ebay name

And this has been dipped to long 120985595521 someone insert url please

Here:

http://www.ebay.co.u...5521%26_rdc%3D1

Horrid. Hard to see that toning back, ever.

Which basically comes back to ski' question and whether/or rather he had/has a suspision that 1 or 2 of his coins had been dipped. You now have 2 references Ski. PS.........The coin in question from the url is from a Mr Platt, notorious for overgrading and dipping, that's his wifes ebay name

Awful coin. I have a halfcrown like that, which was so over-dipped (at least I presume that's what the problem is) that the surface has become almost porous/chalky. I don't believe it will ever tone back.

Which basically comes back to ski' question and whether/or rather he had/has a suspision that 1 or 2 of his coins had been dipped. You now have 2 references Ski.

i think its fair to say 1 of the coins is on a par with your coin dave......the other 2 are not as bad as the coin mr platt is advertising.....maybe theyre between the two.......will get the camera out at the weekend and post some pics so that you can judge. I have decided to give it a go and have sorted out a couple of very low grade shillings. will post those results too, dave you recommend 10 secs of dip and then washing.......any minimum amount of time for the rinse? if the rinse is too short could the dip attack the coins surface?

ski

Which basically comes back to ski' question and whether/or rather he had/has a suspision that 1 or 2 of his coins had been dipped. You now have 2 references Ski.

i think its fair to say 1 of the coins is on a par with your coin dave......the other 2 are not as bad as the coin mr platt is advertising.....maybe theyre between the two.......will get the camera out at the weekend and post some pics so that you can judge. I have decided to give it a go and have sorted out a couple of very low grade shillings. will post those results too, dave you recommend 10 secs of dip and then washing.......any minimum amount of time for the rinse? if the rinse is too short could the dip attack the coins surface?

ski

Yes, 10 seconds of dip is the maximum I'd try, to avoid damage. And yes, rinse it thoroughly - if you hold under a cold water tap for a good half minute, remembering to turn the coin slightly so the part of the rim you're holding gets rinsed too (or just immerse it in a jar of cold water for a short time then rinse off).

okay thanks peckris.....cant wait to try it out......by the way.....ive got a beautiful electric blue toned 1839 proof sixpence......i believe i may have read somewhere, possibly here, that blue toning is achieved by storing near a heat source

is that right, or have i remembered it incorrectly?

ski