British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Why is it that when you go on-line your mind goes to mush?

iyve kno eyedea.... :)

bad pics can sometimes and have been advantageous to me.

my pet hates, having come back from Bulgaria, and knowing what the prices there were, and now are after 4-5 years.

SILVER PRICE!! - last time i was there, was picking up russian 800. silver 50 kopecks imperial- soviet for a few quid, now its 15-20- 30+ anything silver is upwards £15, still found some nice things there in copper. for a few quid. - seems silver price, and age are the factors being played there now :( (did find a worn 1819 20 kopeck for under a quid though :D)

people listing something as rare when it isn't

people who bid silly sums on metal detector finds... when most of the coins with details are junk, and rest are discs.

Spinks latest Coin auction Catalogue now out. What do members think

of the clarity, and ease of finding coins especially archived lots on the

new website. To me it seems to be just a shadow of what it used to be.

Am I right in feeling this ?

Yes, the search function is rubbish I think. Takes ages and then doesn't turn up what it should! For example, a search for 'charles shilling' finds nothing unless you search for 'charles I, shilling'. Who designed that!?!?!

And I like to open lots in a new tab, but if I try that it just gives me the whole catalogue page again which wastes time.

Quite frustrating. :angry:

Spinks latest Coin auction Catalogue now out. What do members think

of the clarity, and ease of finding coins especially archived lots on the

new website. To me it seems to be just a shadow of what it used to be.

Am I right in feeling this ?

Yes, the search function is rubbish I think. Takes ages and then doesn't turn up what it should! For example, a search for 'charles shilling' finds nothing unless you search for 'charles I, shilling'. Who designed that!?!?!

And I like to open lots in a new tab, but if I try that it just gives me the whole catalogue page again which wastes time.

Quite frustrating. :angry:

The same people who make 'Title' a mandatory field on an online form, or who allow you to enter credit card or National Insurance Numbers with the usual spaces in, then tell you there's an 'error'. Jeez. I was a computer programmer, so I know just how easy it is to remove spaces from an input field if you don't want them. But no, web form designers break the golden rule of IT - "NEVER EVER LET PROGRAMMERS DESIGN AN INTERFACE USED BY THE PUBLIC".

Glad someone else agrees, I always used the Spink Archive a lot , but now its pitiful.

Even when you find some items that do show up on a search, there can be just one when

you know they have auctioned 100's and when you do find something there is no date given

as to when the auction was , so in spite of all the blurb they give about the "new"

website , its next to useless, sad to say .I must give up wasting my time as I can never

get anywhere with it, and the photo quality is now the worst of any of the large Auction

houses, whereas it used to be the best. So poor in many cases its just too risky to leave

a bid as you just cannot judge the finer points of a Coins condition.

Another eBay feature that irritates me is seeing an item that might interest you, so you click on the 'enlarge' photo button and it fires up a new window to show you the same photo, the same size or smaller (on some occasions).

Another eBay feature that irritates me is seeing an item that might interest you, so you click on the 'enlarge' photo button and it fires up a new window to show you the same photo, the same size or smaller (on some occasions).

I've noticed this myself Nick. My normal pictures are bigger than ebay enlarged ones which to me is quite strange.......I've enlarged my own pictures on ebay only to find they are smaller than the ones i've uploaded or are on the main auction picture.

Edited by azda

I've noticed this myself Nick. My normal pictures are bigger than ebay enlarged ones which to me is quite strange.......I've enlarged my own pictures on ebay only to find they are smaller than the ones i've uploaded or are on the main auction picture.

I completely sympathise with eBay because their storage requirements must be gargantuan, but for me - if the button doesn't result in an enlarged image then don't call it 'enlarge'.

I completely sympathise with eBay because their storage requirements must be gargantuan, but for me - if the button doesn't result in an enlarged image then don't call it 'enlarge'.

Here, here! A huge bugbear for me too!

Yes but they want extra cash for showing LARGER PIX.........Yet my pix are larger than theirs lol?

Does anyone know how to get the eBay 'enlarge' feature to work? I imagine it's an extra cost somewhere ...

Does anyone know how to get the eBay 'enlarge' feature to work? I imagine it's an extra cost somewhere ...

Its an extra cost aye........

Its an extra cost aye........

If I remember correctly its a tick box on the top of sencond page when making the listing.

Time to add a new pet hate to room 101 I think!

There are several new members over the last month or two, welcome :D , and don't be afraid to post anything you like, including any frustrations, questions or maddening things that might deserve to be placed here!

I have just finished my monthly perusal of all my favorite dealers' coin lists and am reminded of a pet hate phrase, i.e. 'doesn't detract'

This can be interpreted as anything from downright patronising (I am an expert therefore if I say this gouge doesn't matter then it doesn't and don't challenge me), at worst, to Estate Agent style selling at best (e.g. the slight scratch near King's nose and slight edge bump at 4 o'clock that 'don't detract' from the attractiveness and appeal of this rare coin). How on earth can a scratch, each knock/bump, gouge, even weak strike not detract from a coin's eye appeal???

I will buy a coin based on eye appeal, grade, and price, all my own opinion, but it does wind me up that we are in this potentially manipulative market sometimes, anyone else agree?

Edited by Paulus

I have just finished my monthly perusal of all my favorite dealers' coin lists and am reminded of a pet hate phrase, i.e. 'doesn't detract'

Indeed. And totally subjective IMHO, since it might not detract when you're hoping to sell it (though in that case, it has to be questioned, why mention it at all?) but a buyer might (and likely will) feel very differently!

I dislike "VF details" (etc..) So what? The D of DG may be as crisp as a proof, but if the rest of the coin is washer grade then what's the point in saying "[..] details" Unless the whole coin is close to the grade in question (in which case "near [whatever grade], some areas better" would be more honest), it seems a rather meaningless thing to say...

biggest pet hate are the Americans calling cents pennies

There are several new members over the last month or two, welcome :D , and don't be afraid to post anything you like, including any frustrations, questions or maddening things that might deserve to be placed here!

This can be interpreted as anything from downright patronising (I am an expert therefore if I say this gouge doesn't matter then it doesn't and don't challenge me), at worst, to Estate Agent style selling at best (e.g. the slight scratch near King's nose and slight edge bump at 4 o'clock that 'don't detract' from the attractiveness and appeal of this rare coin). How on earth can a scratch, each knock/bump, gouge, even weak strike not detract from a coin's eye appeal???

I will buy a coin based on eye appeal, grade, and price, all my own opinion, but it does wind me up that we are in this potentially manipulative market sometimes, anyone else agree?

Not really, no. I take it as the subjective opinion it is, and have the strength of character to make up my own mind on whether or not it actually does detract, myself.

Stuff like that doesn't wind me up at all, I'm pleased to say. I just take it as a line that is trying to place the best possible spin on the coin. Something that sellers do.

Not really, no. I take it as the subjective opinion it is, and have the strength of character to make up my own mind on whether or not it actually does detract, myself.

Stuff like that doesn't wind me up at all, I'm pleased to say. I just take it as a line that is trying to place the best possible spin on the coin. Something that sellers do.

I do too, now, but I used to regard dealers as experts and naively treat their coin gradings and assessments/comments as objective, a lesson learnt but one yet to be learnt perhaps by those new to collecting? Just me being rose-tinted I suppose! It stays in the Room for me!

One of my pet hates is when a coin is given a really long description in an auction catalogue that's just full of irrelevant historical rubbish. Typically this happens in US auctions selling english coins. I can still remember some of the drivel about the family life of Elizabeth I and nothing about the crown itself just to fill in more lines of text in the hope I guess to make the coin look all the more important....

One of my pet hates is when a coin is given a really long description in an auction catalogue that's just full of irrelevant historical rubbish. Typically this happens in US auctions selling english coins. I can still remember some of the drivel about the family life of Elizabeth I and nothing about the crown itself just to fill in more lines of text in the hope I guess to make the coin look all the more important....

This is because America has no history and relies on British rule

I'm australian. Worse?

Even worse is when they call pennies "large cent"

Even worse is when they call pennies "large cent"

It is interesting, as a American, that you bring up about the cent/penny comparison. Although our small coins are really "Small Cents" and "Large Cents", they are called by everyone "pennies" (small cents), and "Big Pennies" (Large Cents). That use of the word penny, instead of cent by Americans, may be as a result of the large population of Americans whose heritage is from the British Isles.

A term that illustrates the same type of association, is when something is considered really "good." It is not considered good enough for the President...but instead, good enough for the "King of England!" (or Queen!).

Indeed. And totally subjective IMHO, since it might not detract when you're hoping to sell it (though in that case, it has to be questioned, why mention it at all?) but a buyer might (and likely will) feel very differently!

I dislike "VF details" (etc..) So what? The D of DG may be as crisp as a proof, but if the rest of the coin is washer grade then what's the point in saying "[..] details" Unless the whole coin is close to the grade in question (in which case "near [whatever grade], some areas better" would be more honest), it seems a rather meaningless thing to say...

And it's not a new phenomenon either. I recently dug out a dealer's list from the 90s, and he often listed things like "BU, traces of lustre" or "BU, some lustre present". Wha-?

I particularly dislike the term "choice FDC" used by a London auction house. If FDC is perfect, then what on earth is "choice FDC"? They recently described a 1935 raised edge proof crown as choice FDC and the said coin has been slabbed by CGS as UNC88. UNC88 (88 out of 100) is hardly perfect in the first place! I think one might reasonably conclude that coins they describe as plain "FDC" are even less perfect.

They have also used the terms "AFDC" and "choice FDC or near so" which I think are even more meaningless.