British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HMRC and trying to deal with problems. I have plenty of work. Dysfunctional admin should not be my problem - but it is.

COA's for replica or fantasy coins - I don't buy or collect them so I don't know why it bothers me, but it does

• Like 1

Sitting watching a penny for 9 days with a starting price of £7.99, put a sensible & fair snipe at 6 seconds to go, and being beaten at 5 seconds by £2 :(

Being underbidder is the story of my life these days

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, davidrj said:

Sitting watching a penny for 9 days with a starting price of £7.99, put a sensible & fair snipe at 6 seconds to go, and being beaten at 5 seconds by £2 :(

Being underbidder is the story of my life these days

Successful snipes often entail making your bid massively above the latest bid. That way, you will almost certainly be way ahead of the competition, but still only pay slightly above the bid immediately below yours. 

Works for me anyway. 

True. My bid was three figure though :(

Sorry to hear that you got sniped ! I am feeling worse than you.....Did I miss something of significance ?

I'll wait a day or so to see if anyone on here bought it (only two other bidders). If no show I'll put pictures up in the penny thread

13 minutes ago, davidrj said:

I'll wait a day or so to see if anyone on here bought it (only two other bidders). If no show I'll put pictures up in the penny thread

Well spotted David.

The buyer was quite keen :)

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Well spotted David.

The buyer was quite keen :)

Lol

On 05/09/2016 at 11:47 PM, davidrj said:

It was an 1875 cannonball

1875%20cannonball.jpg

• Like 3

Bad luck, David, and well spotted anyway. That would have been a neat capture. 

There seems to be an increasing tendency for some sellers to suggest their coin is slabbed and graded, when it clearly isn't e.g.

link

Edited by Paulus

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

There seems to be an increasing tendency for some sellers to suggest their coin is slabbed and graded, when it clearly isn't e.g.

link

That raises an interesting question. Would a TPG be able to insist eBay remove those listings which imply their (presumably trademarked or copyrighted) name and grading system are being used in a way that misrepresents their business? eBay certainly do it for digital material and as I see it, there is the same insinuation that you are getting the genuine item.

17 minutes ago, Paulus said:

link

I would forward the link to Semra.

13 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Done

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jaggy said:

I'm not sure the coin would hurt the business anymore than they already had done to themselves last year, plus they read these boards anyway, so should see the link :ph34r: saying that, if you describe a coin in a slab on the .com site i'm sure you have to list the slab number

That link is laughable if you know what CGS 75 means!

Just now, Stuntman said:

That link is laughable if you know what CGS 75 means!

I have asked emailed for the UIN number on the slab so it can be checked on the database (wonder if i'll get a reply) :D

9 hours ago, Paulus said:

link

Clearly isn't a Farthing either. PT Penny 

22 hours ago, Rob said:

That raises an interesting question. Would a TPG be able to insist eBay remove those listings which imply their (presumably trademarked or copyrighted) name and grading system are being used in a way that misrepresents their business? eBay certainly do it for digital material and as I see it, there is the same insinuation that you are getting the genuine item.

22 hours ago, jaggy said:

21 hours ago, Paulus said:

Done

I assume this has now been cleaned up, as there are now no references to TPG or grading.  

32 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I assume this has now been cleaned up, as there are now no references to TPG or grading.  

Yes, looks like he removed the references to CGS 75 and GEF soon after my post or getting eBay messages :)

Edited by Paulus