British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

hi all,i have a 1699 third issue william 111 halfpenny.i am sure it has a stop after the date but would like someone to look at photo for a second opinion.much obligedpost-7580-044740600 1347046921_thumb.jpg

hi all,i have a 1699 third issue william 111 halfpenny.i am sure it has a stop after the date but would like someone to look at photo for a second opinion.much obligedpost-7580-044740600 1347046921_thumb.jpg

Your picture is even smaller than the thumbnail, and it's only 9k. You have 150k to play with - can you post a bigger picture?

Does it match Nicholson 122? i.e. is it from the same reverse die? The image is too dark to tell and it would help if the whole reverse was present.

Does it match Nicholson 122? i.e. is it from the same reverse die? The image is too dark to tell and it would help if the whole reverse was present.

i havnt got a clue what you just wrote,havnt heard of nicholson but if it helps will put a pic of full reverse on.thanks for inputpost-7580-059530300 1347092466_thumb.jpg

i havnt got a clue what you just wrote,havnt heard of nicholson but if it helps will put a pic of full reverse on.thanks for inputpost-7580-059530300 1347092466_thumb.jpg

Basil Nicholson had the most comprehensive collection of halfpennies in recent times, sold via Colin Cooke in 2004. This link goes to the William III section and 122 is the 1699 stop after date. Your coin is not from the same reverse die, but the picture is too dark and the pitting makes it very difficult to say for certain what is in the exergue. A different die doesn't exclude a stop after the date, but the condition of the coin raises questions as to whether any apparent stops are genuine or artefacts arising from corrosion.

Basil Nicholson had the most comprehensive collection of halfpennies in recent times, sold via Colin Cooke in 2004. This link goes to the William III section and 122 is the 1699 stop after date. Your coin is not from the same reverse die, but the picture is too dark and the pitting makes it very difficult to say for certain what is in the exergue. A different die doesn't exclude a stop after the date, but the condition of the coin raises questions as to whether any apparent stops are genuine or artefacts arising from corrosion.

ok thanks for the indepth answer will check out colin cooke website maybe learn some more..thanks