British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Having been pointed in the direction of the free BNJ pdf downloads (2004, the article on 1787 shillings), I've downloaded that one. However, the pdf is a quarter GB and to download them all will take a lot of time and space. I've spent quite some time converting the 2004 journal from pdf to text, then deleting all the articles that didn't interest me and the 'proceedings' at the end.

I wondered, is there an index to the BNJ, does anyone know? Alternatively, has anyone produced their own list of contents since downloading the whole lot? I'm really only interested in the English milled era, including tokens, etc; and in Roman / Greek / ancient. I'd therefore only download issues that contained relevant articles, and then do the legwork to 'convert & delete' from the text file.

Just as a note of interest - conversion of the pdf to text reduces the size from around 250MB to around 1MB, quite a saving! You lose the 'look', but you at least retain the format of heading styles, article fonts and paragraphs, footnote styles, etc.

Having been pointed in the direction of the free BNJ pdf downloads (2004, the article on 1787 shillings), I've downloaded that one. However, the pdf is a quarter GB and to download them all will take a lot of time and space. I've spent quite some time converting the 2004 journal from pdf to text, then deleting all the articles that didn't interest me and the 'proceedings' at the end.

I wondered, is there an index to the BNJ, does anyone know? Alternatively, has anyone produced their own list of contents since downloading the whole lot? I'm really only interested in the English milled era, including tokens, etc; and in Roman / Greek / ancient. I'd therefore only download issues that contained relevant articles, and then do the legwork to 'convert & delete' from the text file.

Just as a note of interest - conversion of the pdf to text reduces the size from around 250MB to around 1MB, quite a saving! You lose the 'look', but you at least retain the format of heading styles, article fonts and paragraphs, footnote styles, etc.

The last index was produced in 1999. This lists the contents under the headings as follows. Generalities, Ancients, Mediaeval & Modern, Artefacts, Metals & Other Materials, Coin & Medal Production, Finds and Hoards. The book runs to 50 pages, so is obviously impractical to list here.

For early coinage you would be better off with the Numismatic Journal.

Yes there is. The link is on the same page as the individual pdf downloads. Or you can use this link.

Why not Download and then burn onto a blank cd/dvd? Or buy a USB hardrive for such things as coin pictures or important documents thus saving space ob your hardrive.

Simples :D

Yes there is. The link is on the same page as the individual pdf downloads. Or you can use this link.

Excellent! Thanks Nick - I can browse that for articles of interest and then download the relevant journal at my leisure. I've already spotted a couple, one on Matthew Boulton, and one on George III evasions. Very useful, thanks again.

Why not Download and then burn onto a blank cd/dvd? Or buy a USB hardrive for such things as coin pictures or important documents thus saving space ob your hardrive.

Simples :D

It would require a pile of CDs or even a few DVDs - there's a whole heap of GBs involved. As it is, I've already schemed to put the PDFs onto one or two memory sticks, but keep just the articles I want in text files on my computer. That way it's easier to find what I want, rather than plough through endless BNJ journals. Thanks to the index Nick pointed me to, that will be easier to achieve.

:) Cheers Nick.Much appreciated.