British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Another one I am considering

Hoping the assembled masses don't mind, to be honest this is one of the most valuable sides to this great forum for me - the last requests prompted some lively debate so hopefully you're up for another!

This one is owned by a collector friend of mine who is up for selling and I want to offer him a fair price, so opinions as to grade again if you could be so kind! :) I am thinking NEF but my judgement might be 'coloured'!

1812_Three_Shillings_Rev02_Sellers.png

1812_Three_Shillings_Obv02_Sellers.png

Decent coin, unfortunately they are like the Bank Dollars, quite hard to sell.

Hoping the assembled masses don't mind, to be honest this is one of the most valuable sides to this great forum for me - the last requests prompted some lively debate so hopefully you're up for another!

This one is owned by a collector friend of mine who is up for selling and I want to offer him a fair price, so opinions as to grade again if you could be so kind! :) I am thinking NEF but my judgement might be 'coloured'!

I'd go with EF on that, but as a maximum. There seems to be a few small scratches on the reverse?

I'd go with EF on that, but as a maximum. There seems to be a few small scratches on the reverse?

Thanks Peck, yes there are, but not visible except under magnification ... so near EF about right then?

Thanks Peck, yes there are, but not visible except under magnification ... so near EF about right then?

I tend to grade on wear only but add other description as necessary. So for me it would be "EF with a few light scratches on reverse". But with those pictures, the buyer would be able to see clearly what he was getting anyway.

unfortunately they are like the Bank Dollars, quite hard to sell

i didnt know that............why so?

I have an example ....that is the way I collect.It won't serve you any premium.I paid about £15 for a VF example...it is lurking on the sell side. :)

i only have 1 example.......selling it wont be a problem for me............

my son on the other hand may have when he inherits it..........serves him right for being younger, fitter and better looking than me :D

They are unconventional denominations and the series is not extensive enough to make an interesting collection. You are restricted to two basic obverses and reverse types in three denominations including the 9d patterns, all within a 6 year period. You could expand it with the varieties of the number of acorns and leaf positions as listed by Davis, but even allowing for all the proofs in the different metals, you only have about 3 dozen coins. A shame really because some of them are quite rare.

Edited by Rob

They are unconventional denominations and the series is not extensive enough to make an interesting collection. You are restricted to two basic obverses and reverse types in three denominations including the 9d patterns, all within a 6 year period. You could expand it with the varieties of the number of acorns and leaf positions as listed by Davis, but even allowing for all the proofs in the different metals, you only have about 3 dozen coins. A shame really because some of them are quite rare.

Three dozen? That sounds bliss to me!

I See them here in Germany and they're wanting €200 for a GEF, i just smile and go by them. As Rob says, its a shame because they are nice Coins.

Bank Dollars are strange to, they have a very interesting history to them, some with underlying Detail of the Host coin yet trying to sell one is difficult.

I See them here in Germany and they're wanting €200 for a GEF, i just smile and go by them. As Rob says, its a shame because they are nice Coins.

Bank Dollars are strange to, they have a very interesting history to them, some with underlying Detail of the Host coin yet trying to sell one is difficult.

20-30% off book price is about right for a nice example. I sold a stunning 1814 1/6d for £180 a year or so ago, so UNC makes EF prices, and I've just sold a 3/- in a CGS 85 slab for just over £250. Part of the problem might be that Spink only list currency up to EF which is surprising for relatively modern milled whereas the proofs usually make book which is priced for FDC. The only currency to consistently sell for book is the 1816 3/- which is rare. Never seen a mint state one. The ex-Lingford coin which went through London Coins 2 or 3 years ago quite patently wasn't UNC, irrespective of the catalogue description.

I have to say I've not found them that difficult to sell. Double florins on the other hand...

I have to say I've not found them that difficult to sell. Double florins on the other hand...

Similar problem. 4 years only with even fewer varieties unless you expand the criteria to include patterns, in which case the numbers are nearly the same as the BoE tokens.

Bank Dollars are strange too, they have a very interesting history to them, some with underlying Detail of the Host coin yet trying to sell one is difficult.

I find that odd (only my personal view) - I think the BoE dollars are far more interesting than the unconventional tokens of a few years later. Perhaps it's something to do with it being a complete design, with a very well balanced obverse and reverse. Those BoE tokens have always struck me as rather rudimentary designs, with a verbal description of the denomination surrounded by a wreath, and those rather weird looking portraits.

Actually, I've just had a great idea for a collection focus - the very mixed up nature of the currency after 1775 and before 1816. For silver, that would take in the 1787 shillings and sixpences struck specially for BoE customers, the countermarked Spanish reales, the BoE dollars, and BoE tokens. For copper there are multifarious trade tokens, the Cartwheels of 1797, the 1799 issues, the 1806 and 1807 issues. Covering a period of only 40 years, it would include coins and tokens of a wondrous variety.

Again, I think that's a series that invites being represented by a type (BU 1887 and 1889 are very affordable). It's only a blown-up florin, after all. Part of the reason may be to do with the obverse type being Jubilee Head only, never the most popular design. Even those scarce "1 for I" varieties don't really do it for me. I think they would appeal mainly to type collectors, but as a series they kind of lack interest. More interesting by far to me is the reason why they were introduced (Stage 2 of a decimal system? One fifth of a pound), and even more why they were discontinued ("Barmaid's Ruin", mistaken in busy pubs for a crown).

Edited by Peckris

Three dozen? That sounds bliss to me!

If you include counterfeits there's at least another 60+ variations to collect :D

Edited by seuk

now i do like double florins........for all you dealers thats struggling to sell......im in the market for a roman1 proof :D