British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

Opinions as to grade please

I did look - and don't forget this is only a photograph - to see whether the veins in the leaves had been tooled but I don't think so.

At first glance they appeared deeper than I would've expected, and a little 'awkward'! They still 'feel' awkward for me, however, the consensus is most definitely that the coin's a goer! ;)

Are you going for it Paulus? :)

Thanks everyone for your opinions, nicely varied! Still musing over it, I like it, it is graded by the dealer as GVF, with GVF money attached, so no bargain, but I might ... in fact knowing me I probably will! Will post bigger and hopefully better pics if and when I do!

For that kind of money i'd ask the seller for some high res pics first :)

I have to say, whoever is rating this as GVF really needs some eyes testing. Can you see the wear on the face of George? Yes there is some good detail around the coin, but the face detail is almost gone, am i missing anything?

In a word - yes. Must be your phone or whatever. On my monitor I can see quite clearly the eyebrow, eye complete with pupil, nose and nostril, and lips, all well defined. And that's from a small picture.

So this shilling would be GEF then?

Certainly no less than EF - there is not much facial difference between the two to be honest. You're not seeing the original picture clearly for some reason.

I did look - and don't forget this is only a photograph - to see whether the veins in the leaves had been tooled but I don't think so.

At first glance they appeared deeper than I would've expected, and a little 'awkward'! They still 'feel' awkward for me, however, the consensus is most definitely that the coin's a goer! ;)

Are you going for it Paulus? :)

Thanks everyone for your opinions, nicely varied! Still musing over it, I like it, it is graded by the dealer as GVF, with GVF money attached, so no bargain, but I might ... in fact knowing me I probably will! Will post bigger and hopefully better pics if and when I do!

The dealer seems to be in consensus with the majority here, which is a good sign. If you like it, go for it. My only reservation is the gold colour but 10 to 1 that's the poor white balance not the coin itself.