British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

Opinions as to grade please

Members' valuable opinions requested as to grade (it's a sixpence - dealer's pics):

1728_SX_PL_Rev01_Sellers.png

1728_SX_PL_Obv01_Sellers.png

Adthanksvance

Edited by Paulus

I'd say VF like this one from the same dies: http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=1214730&AucID=1115&Lot=1020&Val=0674a17307776275d02d4da710d96641

Maybe VF+ .. I find it hard to tell from a photo, sorry!

I'd go with VF, a lot of wear to the face

On the excellent, but dreaded iPhone, so could look different on a larger screen, but those veins don't look right to me! Are they a little too deep, comparative to the rest of the detail? Also, they look a tad too linear and out of alignment with the leaf IMO...check them against another example, I can't right now!

Could be wrong, but it doesn't look straight to me, if you'll pardon the pun!

Near vf reverse a bit better :D

VF + money

A very nice example :)

VF + money

GVF

VF + money

GVF

Yes I agree with GVF. Superb detail.

Adthanksvance

wow, advanced applejockinese for "and thanks in advance" :D:D:D

i also think a nicely detailed gvf

Edited by ski

1728 sixpence with plumes. all i can say is.. its better then mine :(

VF, but whats going on on the Obverse

I have to say, whoever is rating this as GVF really needs some eyes testing. Can you see the wear on the face of George? Yes there is some good detail around the coin, but the face detail is almost gone, am i missing anything?

I have to say, whoever is rating this as GVF really needs some eyes testing. Can you see the wear on the face of George? Yes there is some good detail around the coin, but the face detail is almost gone, am i missing anything?

In a word Dave (to your first question), no. I have had several of these through my hands and that kind of roundness seems to be the way they left the mint (shillings are a little different). It would in any event be odd for the face, which is protected by the hair and laurel wreath to wear before the higher points of the design. I did look - and don't forget this is only a photograph - to see whether the veins in the leaves had been tooled but I don't think so. I'll stick with GVF.

Incidentally, what grade did the dealer give it?

Edited by Red Riley

In a word Dave (to your first question), no. I have had several of these through my hands and that kind of roundness seems to be the way they left the mint (shillings are a little different). It would in any event be odd for the face, which is protected by the hair and laurel wreath to wear before the higher points of the design. I did look - and don't forget this is only a photograph - to see whether the veins in the leaves had been tooled but I don't think so. I'll stick with GVF.

Incidentally, what grade did the dealer give it?

Well i also thought it strange that the hair detail was there and the face not, so i can live with that arguement. You'd have to ask Paul about grade, not sure what it was as he never mentioned it.

I did look - and don't forget this is only a photograph - to see whether the veins in the leaves had been tooled but I don't think so.

At first glance they appeared deeper than I would've expected, and a little 'awkward'! They still 'feel' awkward for me, however, the consensus is most definitely that the coin's a goer! ;)

Are you going for it Paulus? :)

In a word - yes. Must be your phone or whatever. On my monitor I can see quite clearly the eyebrow, eye complete with pupil, nose and nostril, and lips, all well defined. And that's from a small picture.

In a word - yes. Must be your phone or whatever. On my monitor I can see quite clearly the eyebrow, eye complete with pupil, nose and nostril, and lips, all well defined. And that's from a small picture.

So this shilling would be GEF then?

post-5057-071951200 1346153187_thumb.jpg

post-5057-038508200 1346153195_thumb.jpg

I have to say, whoever is rating this as GVF really needs some eyes testing

my annual check up is not due until december :angry:

but i like the coin......so is the considered opinion here that its been retooled/enhanced ????.

but i like the coin......so is the considered opinion here that its been retooled/enhanced ????.

It might be hard to tell unless a much larger picture was uploaded ski. Coinery brought that up early on, about the leaves. Tried specsavers? :)

As always, the opinion is, if you like the coin, buy it

Edited by azda

A lot of coins left the mint looking worn in the 17/18C....indeed hammered too...try getting hold of a decent 1698 farthing...any type :angry:

The reverse is nicely struck and the silver looks good....I would snap it up at 40x face. B)

A lot of coins left the mint looking worn in the 17/18C....indeed hammered too...try getting hold of a decent 1698 farthing...any type :angry:

The reverse is nicely struck and the silver looks good....I would snap it up at 40x face. B)

Please do, it's been sat on the bay for 2 months ;)

40x face is £2.40 on a sixpence

i would as well :P

40x face is £2.40 on a sixpence

i would as well :P

Surely that would be £1 ?

I think the considered opinion is that it's NOT tooled/enhanced! I jumped on the thread late at night on an iPhone, not wishing for any potential issues to go unnoticed on Paulus' behalf, as he may have been making a last minute bidding decision etc...call it spontaneity if you will. As a comparison, I was at a live auction in Clevedon this year, and emergency posted on this forum, 15 minutes before the lot came up, so these things can happen!

However, as I said earlier, and I'm in the minority (singularly) on this, I feel awkward about the veins. Enough that I wouldn't buy it out-of-hand myself, and I'm generally quite chancy! Ironically, if it was a poor picture I'd probably give it a go, simply because I would be in the playing field of the bold! Hey ho! :D

My view, pretty much. Like a few earlier milled, the striking is a bit weak. The hair and Garter star show this. But as to wear, well, apart from possibly a little at 12 o'clock on the rim, there is none. Therefore GEF.

My view, pretty much. Like a few earlier milled, the striking is a bit weak. The hair and Garter star show this. But as to wear, well, apart from possibly a little at 12 o'clock on the rim, there is none. Therefore GEF.

Looks like i've listed it to cheap then :)