British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Ok, lets get price collecting...

The time has come I think, for us to gather as many British coin prices as possible. The database is ok for general stuff, but it would be great if those of you that want to could look specifically for price data on all the Brtish coin types. I thought about something like this:

Farthings, Oli (and fractionals)

Halfpennies, HPJ

Pennies, Custard1966 and JMD (including Catwheel 2d)

Threepences/Groats

Sixpences, Sylvester

Shillings, Aethelred

Florins, William

Half Crowns/Crowns. Geoff T

Decimals

That's by no means set in stone, so lets discuss who wants the other denomination here, and of course if you are happy with your assigned denomination?

You can get the info to me however you like, via email, post, over the phone, whatever. All info should include an accurate grade, the date, any valid variety info, and if possible who sold the coin and when.

Oh yes, and remember, I'm just concerned with copper 1797 onwards and silver 1800 onwards. I do also want proof data.

Hmm, i like the sound of florins, they started in Victorian times, so i collect them. I also really like flroins, one of my favourite denominations, plus i could manage the ones later than Victoria cos i have collected them in the past as well.

Would i be able to do the florins?

Yes, I'll add you to the list above. Thanks very much.

I agree William i think Florins are some of the nicest designs ever... Godless, Gothic, Old Head, Eddy VII... I personally love those 4 designs.

I remember getting George VI and Elizabeth II ones in change regular as clockwork in the early 1990s, and of course that time when i spent that George V one... it takes me back to why i started collecting in the first place.

I owe alot to the florin, infact everything! :D

I am happy with halfpennies but could you tell me which date range(s) you most urgently need Chris?

I am happy with halfpennies but could you tell me which date range(s) you most urgently need Chris?

I suppose the earlier ones, perhaps George IV to 1901.

Likewise with the sixers which prices do you need most out of this lot?

PHASE I = 1816-1837

PHASE II = 1838-1859

PHASE III = 1860-1887

PHASE IV = 1887-1901

PHASE V = 1902-1936

PHASE VI = 1937-1970

Lemme know the phase and i'll do them one at a time!

Sylvester,

It's up to you, I mean I need them all as best you can, so whatever order suits you best.

I can work on Shillings if you like Chris.

Yes you can, great, I'll change the top part. Thanks.

I would rather do Farthings and Fractions now chris if thats ok ;)

...I can do them in this order:

I = Quater Farthings

II = Third Farthings

III = Half Farthings

IV = Farthings

...will you want farthing tokens? (i doubt so)

Edited by Master Jmd

I would rather do Farthings and Fractions now chris if thats ok ;)

...I can do them in this order:

I = Quater Farthings

II = Third Farthings

III = Half Farthings

IV = Farthings

...will you want farthing tokens? (i doubt so)

I'm happy to tackle pennies on my own.

Chris, is there some way you can make the database available on-line, or perhaps provide each of us with an electronic copy of the relevant sections?

That would make it easy to see which prices we've got and which are outstanding.

Chris, is there some way you can make the database available on-line, or perhaps provide each of us with an electronic copy of the relevant sections?

That would make it easy to see which prices we've got and which are outstanding.

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll do that.

Exactly what do you want us to do Chris? Collect some prices from different places and tell you the price and where we got them?

Exactly what do you want us to do Chris? Collect some prices from different places and tell you the price and where we got them?

i think thats the point...i will be maintly looking at Colin Cooke's site, eBay and This site... :)

Yes, that's right, but you have to make sure they are the prices that the coins actually sold for. I know Cooke doesn't give discounts! I have my own site covered JMD, I always enter the prices that coins sell for in the database, so don't worry about them.

I'd like the same amount of data as the fields in the database form.....But at least demonintaion, grade and prices.

A tip (to all rotographic forum members); on colin cooke site, each coin that has been sold says sold...if you want to know the price that it sold for then put your cursor over the picture that links you to the coin picture and read the end bit of the http adress in the bottom bar of the screen (the one that says 'done') and it will say a number (eg:75 = £75.00, 45 = £45.00 etc...) :)

A tip (to all rotographic forum members); on colin cooke site, each coin that has been sold says sold...if you want to know the price that it sold for then put your cursor over the picture that links you to the coin picture and read the end bit of the http adress in the bottom bar of the screen (the one that says 'done') and it will say a number (eg:75 = £75.00, 45 = £45.00 etc...) :)

Yes, i'd worked that out months ago!

He also answered that question on his forum

I've added some more prices from Ebay and Colin Cooke including two more of my recent purchases.

You can get the info to me however you like, via email, post, over the phone, whatever.

so are we stil using the database?

...what date range do you want me to do for the fractions and the farthings?

Chris, do you want me to do double florins as well? I am happy doing them, if you like....

What's this obsession with Colin Cooke? :huh:

What's this obsession with Colin Cooke? :huh:

no obsesion,...he just has loads of coins for sale... ;)

Well i've started pulling together prices for the sixers.

I thought i'd start with the most tedious and my least favourite areaof this denomination the Victorian Young head issue (there's just far far too many small varieties... and too too many years), but i'm making progress and i've added a few you didn't have.

I'm going about this in a different approach, i don't have an uptodate Spink on hand... but next week i'm going to photocopy the relevant sections of the local libraries 2004 copy... cos i ain't buying one. (I mean the 2004 one will soon be superceeded by next years so it'd be a waste of money).

So i've decided to put the 2000 Coincraft to use... prices were at the top end 4 years ago but they are about right now, take those prices, take those in the 2003 CCs' book and balance them out... that will give me the rough guide and then i'll amend and tweak the prices as i come across examples listed for sale on coin lists etc.

Then i've got to take on George V, another area i'm not particularly fond of. :rolleyes:

I'll be glad to get to Geo III-William IV though, i actually like that area!