British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mongo

If you could own one coin from history, what would it be?

I was day dreaming today, like I often do when my brain aches.

I started to think about the importance of some coins roles in historical events, my mind wandered a bit, and I thought how lovely it would be to own the actual coin that decided the kick-off for the 1966 World Cup Final! (does that coin even exist? maybe it has already passed through one of your hands!). Then when I tried to think of other examples, I could not think of any.

So I open this thread up to you all, if your bored, have a little think about it...

What ONE coin would you love to own, that has taken part in some sort of Historical event? :)

I was day dreaming today, like I often do when my brain aches.

I started to think about the importance of some coins roles in historical events, my mind wandered a bit, and I thought how lovely it would be to own the actual coin that decided the kick-off for the 1966 World Cup Final! (does that coin even exist? maybe it has already passed through one of your hands!). Then when I tried to think of other examples, I could not think of any.

So I open this thread up to you all, if your bored, have a little think about it...

What ONE coin would you love to own, that has taken part in some sort of Historical event? :)

The penny held up by King Harold at Hastings, when he said "Here, is that a 1033? I can't see it clearly. Let me just hold it up to the ligh..."

Or when Nelson said to Hardy, "I bet you this Doriens and Magens shilling that we got them beat by sundown."

Or the quarter handed over by Abraham Lincoln to the ticket office ("That'll be 10 cents for a balcony seat for tonight's production, Mr President")

But actually, it would have to be any of the pennies laid beneath foundation stones by George V in 1933...

Archbishop Wigmund of Northumbria (837) gold solidus. The beginning of taking coinage seriously in Northumbria, my birthplace! B)

Not quite sure how the story goes, but the Caesar coin Jesus held up and asked 'whose head is on this, let Ceasar have what is his...'!

That would likely be the world's most valuable coin (I wonder what the Vatican could cough-up for that?), and to think one of you might have it in your collection. :blink:

This one might be interesting.

k66892_l.jpg

It's Samuel Johnson's touchpiece that he received from Charles II. Though as it's in the British Museum it might be difficult to obtain! I'd also like John Dee's crystal ball, though it's not a coin.

Of course, for me the logical thing would be to have the 1933 double eagle and sell it to fund coins I really want!

Edited by TomGoodheart

You guys never disappoint! Lots of interesting use of coins in history/legend I have never even heard of, great stuff :)