British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Mid 60's, Coincraft wanted Rotographic!

Well here's a little news I picked up today from Mr Marles.

In the mid 60's when the CCGB forerunner 'Check your change' was selling by the million, and Marles and co. were making loads of dough....None other than Mr Lobel (I don't think he was called Coincraft then) wanted to buy the rights to that book. Marlesey went to meet him in London, but Lobel thought the asking price was too high and it came to nought (or half a page of scribbled lines).

(Those of you into real music will be able to spot the Pink Floyd lyric there. Points awarded for song title, album and year.)

So, how things could have been different if it had gone the other way. Perhaps the CCGB would have just been a non existant part of the Coincraft catalogue, and perhaps our very own little book as it is today would not exist at all.

By the way, I heard a little birdy on the numismatic street that said there will not be another revised Coincraft catalogue.....And I mean 'ever', or certainly not in a few years.

Have you finished all of the prices yet Chris? If not, which denominations do you need to get?

wow, good thing lobel didnt buy it then!

Btw, chris, i obviously don't listen to 'real music' :lol:

Yes you do William - stick to your cultural guns :D

I put Pink Floyd and classical in the same grouping. Had Beethoven, Händel, Mozart etc had the same equipment as Pink Floyd, they would have created the exact same style music, I bet.

Or at least it would have had the same amount of feeling put into it.

Talking of music, is german radio any good Chris? :P

No, most of it's crap and just plays the same crap as most crap British Radio stations.

In the whole of Europe the 'mainstream' music industry is simply about making as much money as you can in as short a time as possible from some young nobody who will fade away quicker than rainbow.

No, most of it's crap and just plays the same crap as most crap British Radio stations.

Agreed...there are not many radio stations that have my choice of music presented on it.

Is anyone able to pick up kiss100 where you live. I am and its great! :D

Edited by Half Penny Jon

Does anyone able to pick up kiss100 where you live. I am and its great! :D

Does anyone able :rolleyes: a bit of sentence restructure there HPJ...

Kiss100 does not agree with my taste of music...and yes, that means that i can pick it up where i live ;)

Fixed my little grammatical error ;) What kind of music do you like then JMD?

Fixed my little grammatical error ;) What kind of music do you like then JMD?

refer to this ;)

Oh yeh, I forgot about that thread! :lol:

...who will fade away quicker than rainbow.

I used to like that song...

'Since you've been gone', we used to sing it at college. :D

Actually I meant to say 'a rainbow', but the band kind of did the same. Although they did have more songs than that all time rock classic 'Since you've been gone'. And they were involved with Deep Purple a lot. (I know they shared members along the way).

I once had a girlfriend who's dad went to school with a Deep Purple member.

By the way, I heard a little birdy on the numismatic street that said there will not be another revised Coincraft catalogue.....And I mean 'ever', or certainly not in a few years.

I was told the same thing at the 2004 FUN Show in Florida. Too bad as that was a great catalog.

"Good books bad books,

you know I've had my share,

but when Coincraft left town for another year,

Spink didn't seem to care."

Sorry Chris! ;)

Actually I meant to say 'a rainbow', but the band kind of did the same. Although they did have more songs than that all time rock classic 'Since you've been gone'. And they were involved with Deep Purple a lot. (I know they shared members along the way).

I once had a girlfriend who's dad went to school with a Deep Purple member.

Ha Deep Purple that takes me to my childhood my parents played it none stop! Happy memories... :D

Mr Lobel...look what i found...

1979:Richard Lobel companies:

Richard Lobel and co. Ltd

Richard Lobel Investments Ltd

Richard Lobel Auctions Ltd

Museum galleries

Coincraft

McGleish Coins Ltd

Piccadilly Coins Ltd

The coin advisory service

:huh:

Where'd you find that lot JMD?

Where'd you find that lot JMD?

Page 10 of 1979 coin yearbook...it is my second oldest coin book :)

it came to nought (or half a page of scribbled lines).

(Those of you into real music will be able to spot the Pink Floyd lyric there. Points awarded for song title, album and year.)

Time

Dark Side of the Moon

but it should be naught not nought :)

Yes, excuse the spelling mistake.

Apart from that, you are of course absolutely correct Custard. Tell me, did you know it instantly, or was it after a little research?

Please accept a massive 20% of your next accessory order, or a custom discount on coins as your prize. I'm always willing to treat those who are aware of Pink Floyd (..not just Another Brick in the Wall pt.2) favourably!

Yes, excuse the spelling mistake.

Apart from that, you are of course absolutely correct Custard. Tell me, did you know it instantly, or was it after a little research?

Please accept a massive 20% of your next accessory order, or a custom discount on coins as your prize. I'm always willing to treat those who are aware of Pink Floyd (..not just Another Brick in the Wall pt.2) favourably!

Cheers Chris.

I knew the song instantly.

I had to think a bit about whether it was Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here

And I had to reach across to a CD rack to look up the date.

If you're ever in New York go to the Planetarium (I think it's on Central Park West).

They play Dark Side of the Moon as an accompaniment to some sort of psychedelic cosmic show projected onto the ceiling and you just lean back in your specially adapted seat and enjoy