British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Your not listening

yes i am....im also reading...........and some of the reply's here have suggested that an exclusive survey as you;ve suggested may not contact enough collectors who own this coin, and too wide a survey (slabs, ebay) may also give false readings as mentioned. a very early reply suggested contacting the mint, good advice i think.

so, from the replys here how many of the people who have so far joined in on this topic, this being a very exclusive survey, have replied saying they own this coin?.......ive had a very quick look back......to me it just looks like you.

so weve accounted for 1 out of the 10.......taking this surveys results alone......your coin is indeed much scarcer than r5 would suggest, i hope you find another 9......i seriously hope you dont find any more than 9........if your investement is based on 10 examples then your investement may be compromised if you find 20 or 30 or more.

I don't think the potential number of examples extant is large enough to do a meaningful survey. You can establish relative rarity values using a scattergun sampling approach when dealing with common items, but when you are talking about genuinely rare coins I don't think you will get the answers you want. Let's do a survey. How many people on this forum will own up to having a 1933 penny? We know there are supposedly a small number in private hands, but even an answer of one would suggest that one in 30 or 40 (this being the number of regular posters) people had one. You are talking about a coin which has supposedly a population three times greater in private hands, or if the numbers are wrong maybe 3 or 4 times more again. The numbers simply aren't large enough to get even an approximate estimate of rarity other than to say it is likely to be a double figure number.

Ski - even by my very limited counting ability this forum has shown three people who own one of these crowns!

All others - please post if you have a 1935 error edge crown.

Your not listening

yes i am....im also reading...........and some of the reply's here have suggested that an exclusive survey as you;ve suggested may not contact enough collectors who own this coin, and too wide a survey (slabs, ebay) may also give false readings as mentioned. a very early reply suggested contacting the mint, good advice i think.

so, from the replys here how many of the people who have so far joined in on this topic, this being a very exclusive survey, have replied saying they own this coin?.......ive had a very quick look back......to me it just looks like you.

so weve accounted for 1 out of the 10.......taking this surveys results alone......your coin is indeed much scarcer than r5 would suggest, i hope you find another 9......i seriously hope you dont find any more than 9........if your investement is based on 10 examples then your investement may be compromised if you find 20 or 30 or more.

I seem to remember somewhere that I also owned up to having one. B)

Baldwins have one for sale (£3500)

GK Coins have sold one recently

PCGS list 13

NGC list 3 currency

Your not listening, if 10 people have one (without graded or slabbed coins) it then shows many people that the estimate of R5 is not accurate by a long way!

You only need a modicum of sense to realise that Rayner is miles off in the rarity scales on 99.9% of the coins listed.

ESC was compiled long before the internet was a common everyman/everyday tool and he had to make educated guesses based on a limited collector/museum contact list and previous works.

Trying to work out rarity on coins you own is almost pointless unless you are a pure investor rather than a collector. Your time would be better spent trying to track down the coins that you don't own and then trying to find the best examples available for purchase.

Amen. One can fluff on the ownership of an ESC R5 but a grain of salt best be swallowed.

An example of this type of thing in the opposite : rarity of the 1862 & 1864 2/6s are much scarcer with relatively fewer in private hands.

With milled and varieties etc I think all keen collectors know the difficult ones.With the use of the internet it is much easier today.

I'm looking to up grade a couple of 18C farthings and persistence from experience proves I will. :)

Double post

Edited by Peter

Amen. One can fluff on the ownership of an ESC R5 but a grain of salt best be swallowed.

An example of this type of thing in the opposite : rarity of the 1862 & 1864 2/6s are much scarcer with relatively fewer in private hands.

As Spink rates them extremely rare, I hardly think they're underestimated!

Ah, Peck, as they say, "My Bad"....I meant that in my estimate these should be R4 or so, more rare than ESC indicates...

Anyone out there got a 1888 wide date crown?

Does anyone bother with or collect the 20 odd variants of the 1893 crown?

Yep.

I have a nicely toned prooflike 1893, and I've long meant to look up which version it is, but as yet I haven't bothered.

Yep.

Bloody 'ell, Nick, I'm not the greatest fan of the Jubilee stuff, but that's a bit nice! Just right for colour, certainly to my taste!

I can see why some collect all the 1893 variants, but it must be hard to learn all the various streamer designs and die numbers etc etc!

but it must be hard to learn all the various streamer designs and die numbers etc etc!

yes i think that too for other coins, hair ribbon details and curls in the hair etc etc etc.....its a minefield for us learners........but when you do learn something :)

die numbers i can cope with, although with aging eye site, a glass is essential now <_<

I can see why some collect all the 1893 variants, but it must be hard to learn all the various streamer designs and die numbers etc etc!

Die numbers? In 1893?? :o

Die numbers? In 1893??

it ran through my mind too.... B)

im amazed though.....for a mintage of less than .5 million that there are sooo many varities

Edited by ski

Ski - my eyes are getting ropey now to, i have just recieved (from internet) a small magifying glass with light thats 60x magnification that is absolutely incredible. An apparently perfect coin under this can show show masses! Only £5 each.

Die numbers? In 1893?? :o

CGS and others catalogue the variants with Die numbers

Ski - my eyes are getting ropey now to, i have just recieved (from internet) a small magifying glass with light thats 60x magnification that is absolutely incredible. An apparently perfect coin under this can show show masses! Only £5 each.

at that mag, can you hold it still?...