British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

17 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Proofs are all locked up in bank, matte and Peace (1926) I will try to show. That darned "Tokyo-A" collector was somehow able to beat me to the 1926 Wreath model obverse pattern & the family, I believe, is holding it still. That I'm sure would be above 25k pounds - so lost likely forevermore. ?‍♀️

What is the biggest difference between currency and proof wreath crowns VS? The rim? Superior strike? Do any of the proofs have frosted designs?

This is a matter of some debate amongst those who are interested. Some are loathe to call the best proof and at one time called them specimen. 

Few are frosted, though on the proofs the field and devices are not quite IMO of the same finish. The edges are squared and the device details crisper.

I once tried to describe this and point out examples: the cross on the orb itself (really more of an inverted "T" should be fully detailed and clear (NOT the cross that surmounts the orb), the flower  stamens should all be clear and separate. On the obverse, the moustache, eyebrow corner, beard, and ear lobe all the way round should be crisp with excellent detail. There are other bits, but these are important and key areas. The denticles and edge milling should be sharp and defined. Simply a reflective field is just not good enough, and I think viewers (and graders sometimes) can be deceived. Actually hard to capture in but a few words. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VickySilver said:

This is a matter of some debate amongst those who are interested. Some are loathe to call the best proof and at one time called them specimen. 

Few are frosted, though on the proofs the field and devices are not quite IMO of the same finish. The edges are squared and the device details crisper.

I once tried to describe this and point out examples: the cross on the orb itself (really more of an inverted "T" should be fully detailed and clear (NOT the cross that surmounts the orb), the flower  stamens should all be clear and separate. On the obverse, the moustache, eyebrow corner, beard, and ear lobe all the way round should be crisp with excellent detail. There are other bits, but these are important and key areas. The denticles and edge milling should be sharp and defined. Simply a reflective field is just not good enough, and I think viewers (and graders sometimes) can be deceived. Actually hard to capture in but a few words. 

Very hard to capture in pics too, which is part of the problem!

On 11 March 2017 at 7:03 PM, azda said:

and one for the penny boys, if you can help with a freeman number

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

F10

Terrific coins. It seems the images may favor some over others. Just curious... Did you have the Capitol plastic holder custom made or do they actually make this for the series? And I suppose the question whether you contemplate ever submitting them for grading at either PCGS or NGC is worthy of asking... 

I had it custom made about 10-12 years ago; I like their presentation and really for me, so no slabs. Those are hand held iPhone pictures so kinda grab bag. I sold away another currency set that was about equal, these just a bit better. 

As as far as wear, to me the key areas aren't a lot different than strike with the cheekbone, mustache, brow edge and ear top being key - the obverse the decider. Lower margin of Crown seems to attract hits as well...

On 11/03/2017 at 6:38 PM, azda said:

REV, some more to come when i reduce the sizes and pop in and out due to size limit per post, wish someone would sort that out

IMG_1410.JPG

Breath-taking collection VS! The 1935 ‘Rocking Horse’ gold proof crown, which is coming up for sale shortly might be of interest to you.

• Like 1

Thanks, Brad...That one is above my pay grade. I actually had the money many years ago, but none were on offer, so I don't think I'll ever get that one.

Just out of interest, were any of the proof wreaths originally issued in boxes? I rather suspect that cardboard cases were used like the 1935 RE proofs.

8 hours ago, brad said:

Breath-taking collection VS! The 1935 ‘Rocking Horse’ gold proof crown, which is coming up for sale shortly might be of interest to you.

Gold plating a silver crown would be approx £40K cheaper and would look just the same ... :ph34r:

Breathtaking collection of coins there.  Bravo indeed!

• Like 1

Soon (hopefully) to follow courtesy of Dave are a few of the proofs. The 1936 which shows modest cameo is the best Wreath proof of any date I have seen, but I threw in the mattes of 1926, 1927 and even 1937 - well, only got the obverse on that one as I was in a rush at the bank.

I do not recall ever seeing the crowns to come in boxes; I got the REP 1935 in cello that came with the other proofs of that year but was not in a package. The 1926 Wood Pattern did come in a box quite similar to that the cardboard case that 1927 sets were issued in along with the other patterns that were given to the widow of the designer, Wood, evidently by Paget.

On 3/11/2017 at 9:57 PM, VickySilver said:

Proofs are all locked up in bank, matte and Peace (1926) I will try to show. That darned "Tokyo-A" collector was somehow able to beat me to the 1926 Wreath model obverse pattern & the family, I believe, is holding it still. That I'm sure would be above 25k pounds - so lost likely forevermore. ?‍♀️

Not anymore, some more of vickysilver coins

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Have to say, the 36 looks lovely

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

As does the 34

FullSizeRender-6.jpg

Matt Proof

FullSizeRender.jpg

Matte peace dollar

Peace Dollar.jpg

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

What is the G6 crown? 

The matt proof from 1951 had "Five Shillings" on 

Edited by divemaster

20 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Soon (hopefully) to follow courtesy of Dave are a few of the proofs. The 1936 which shows modest cameo is the best Wreath proof of any date I have seen, but I threw in the mattes of 1926, 1927 and even 1937 - well, only got the obverse on that one as I was in a rush at the bank.

I do not recall ever seeing the crowns to come in boxes; I got the REP 1935 in cello that came with the other proofs of that year but was not in a package. The 1926 Wood Pattern did come in a box quite similar to that the cardboard case that 1927 sets were issued in along with the other patterns that were given to the widow of the designer, Wood, evidently by Paget.

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to photograph them in your bank. It is really fantastic to see all these great coins! :)

Edited by Sword

Who out there has, and actively collects 1951 crown varieties ?  LCGS list 9 varieties, are there more than that?

Will varieties just keep turning up because of die faults?

2 minutes ago, divemaster said:

Who out there has, and actively collects 1951 crown varieties ?  LCGS list 9 varieties, are there more than that?

Will varieties just keep turning up because of die faults?

I probably would if I could recognise them :)

I can see your point because it’s down to variants in the horses maine and tail details etc.