British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
pies

1887 shilling

Your local village idiot again folks

As far as i can tell the 1887 shilling reverse has three types "loop in q", "long tail" and "short tail" so wher does this coin fit into the mix :unsure:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320959814679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

It doesn't. It's a sixpence.

I love this forum! I remember innocently entering around a year ago now, just after the debate about whether you could legally smelt English coinage had finally wound down! Without knowing about the fire of the recent bullion debate, I entered enquiring into 'the smelting of English silver'! I always think of you Nick! ;) fondly, of course! :)

Your local village idiot again folks

As far as i can tell the 1887 shilling reverse has three types "loop in q", "long tail" and "short tail" so wher does this coin fit into the mix :unsure:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320959814679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

It doesn't. It's a sixpence.

I love this forum! I remember innocently entering around a year ago now, just after the debate about whether you could legally smelt English coinage had finally wound down! Without knowing about the fire of the recent bullion debate, I entered enquiring into 'the smelting of English silver'! I always think of you Nick! ;) fondly, of course! :)

You'll be in a minority of one then! :P

Good old pies... Classic! :D

I made the exact same mistake when first looking around for the Q's.

Good old pies... Classic! :D

I made the exact same mistake when first looking around for the Q's.

To be fair, though, the seller does say it is a shilling.

It should be pointed out that the Simple Simon here is not the piesman, but the wally on eBay who described his sixpence as a shilling :D

If had been an edward vii i would have spotted it :)

~Only cos it says sixpense on it :D

It should be pointed out that the Simple Simon here is not the piesman, but the wally on eBay who described his sixpence as a shilling :D

True! I was more of a numpty, the one I thought I had discovered a new "variety" on, was listed as a sixpence online! Only took me a day or two to work it out :D

Another new variety... Go pies! :P

:lol:

You'll be in a minority of one then! :P

:D

Good on yer, Pies! Fair play! :D

mutter mutter :lol:

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: