British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
numidan

1944 wide date

I'm not sure what sort of of Premiums People might think it would gain with a few microns wider in width, but for me its not worthy of anything other than a 1944 prices penny.

I would'nt lose sleep at night if i did'nt have one in my collection, sorry, but each to their own i suppose. A missing colon maybe, but not a few microns in a date width on a 1944 penny.

It's all about being a completist. As soon as a variety is found, everyone has a gap in their collection to be filled. As Peck says, they're not that rare (VR Court estimates 6:1 in favour of the more common variety) so can be picked up by the eagle-eyed at a very reasonable price. There's always a good feeling from paying standard money for a rarer variety.

Just reading this thread and thought that, from the completist point of view, there are four 1944 penny varieties. The narrow date mint darkened, the wider date mint darkened, the narrow date not mint darkened/light hypo, and the wider date not mint darkened/light hypo.

I'm not sure what sort of of Premiums People might think it would gain with a few microns wider in width, but for me its not worthy of anything other than a 1944 prices penny.

I would'nt lose sleep at night if i did'nt have one in my collection, sorry, but each to their own i suppose. A missing colon maybe, but not a few microns in a date width on a 1944 penny.

It's all about being a completist. As soon as a variety is found, everyone has a gap in their collection to be filled. As Peck says, they're not that rare (VR Court estimates 6:1 in favour of the more common variety) so can be picked up by the eagle-eyed at a very reasonable price. There's always a good feeling from paying standard money for a rarer variety.

Just reading this thread and thought that, from the completist point of view, there are four 1944 penny varieties. The narrow date mint darkened, the wider date mint darkened, the narrow date not mint darkened/light hypo, and the wider date not mint darkened/light hypo.

By 'narrow date' and 'wider date', I presume you're referring to the 'recut waves, clearly double exergue line' varieties?

By 'narrow date' and 'wider date', I presume you're referring to the 'recut waves, clearly double exergue line' varieties?

I think of it as top of the second 4 pointing TO a wave and, alternatively, pointing to the left of a wave. Am I wrong to assume the date is wider, is it just that the waves are cut differently?

I think of it as top of the second 4 pointing TO a wave and, alternatively, pointing to the left of a wave. Am I wrong to assume the date is wider, is it just that the waves are cut differently?

If you re-read this entire thread again (I don't have the energy!) you may well find there is a micro difference in date width - however, most references to the variety refer to the recut waves and clear doubled exergue lines.

If you re-read this entire thread again (I don't have the energy!) you may well find there is a micro difference in date width - however, most references to the variety refer to the recut waves and clear doubled exergue lines.

thanks for clarifying that