British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
scott

monarch run. some questions

as you know, i am doing a monarch run (very slowly now >.>)

currently got all the way back to Henry VII (Yes i even have a James II, and a colonial Edward VIII :P) but here is the thing.

should posthumous Henry VIII coin as Henry or as Edward (my Henry VIII seems to be matching up to posthumous issues) . and should I count Mary and Phillip and Mary as seperates.

but the real question lies in War of the roses. and identifying earlier halfs, quarters etc to find a Differant monarch named under Henry (Richard, John etc) as there would be little identification.

i have a coin from war of the roses, but in a usual state, clipped, but has the distinguishing D in the middle of the reverse (from what i gather was a mint only used in that period.

But only half a monarchs head to play with, its difficult to identify fully. does anyone have any quick visial identifications i can use to distinguish.

currently got all the way back to Henry VII (Yes i even have a James II, and a colonial Edward VIII :P) but here is the thing.

should posthumous Henry VIII coin as Henry or as Edward (my Henry VIII seems to be matching up to posthumous issues) . and should I count Mary and Phillip and Mary as seperates.

but the real question lies in War of the roses. and identifying earlier halfs, quarters etc to find a Differant monarch named under Henry (Richard, John etc) as there would be little identification.

i have a coin from war of the roses, but in a usual state, clipped, but has the distinguishing D in the middle of the reverse (from what i gather was a mint only used in that period.

But only half a monarchs head to play with, its difficult to identify fully. does anyone have any quick visial identifications i can use to distinguish.

It all depends whether you define a 'monarch run' as at least one coin from each REIGN, or whether you want one coin identifying each MONARCH. As you've noticed, the two aren't always the same thing. It's just the same with some Roman coins, where Antoninus Pius was used for more than one emperor around that time, not just the real and proper A.P. It's your collection, so I'm guessing you must define the rules for it.

Just to give one pointer - Philip and Mary weren't joint rulers like William and Mary, but because he appears on a few coins, it would certainly be interesting to have that particular type, but not necessarily as part of a monarch run?

I think I would probably count the combined-bust coins separately, as you may have done for W&M and W3? For the Henry/John coins, many identifications can be had using spink's, if you compare the moneyer information(at the end of the section) against the other pointers in the actual descriptions. It's more often a process of illimination, so identification working in reverse, but quite possible, even with low-grade coins! Which brings me to another point, why buy the halves and quarters and make your life really difficult? whole coins can be purchased really cheaply in the lower grades.

Superb idea for a run, though, will certainly stretch the grey matter in the period you're now entering! Great stuff! :)

Edited by Coinery

not a combined bust for Phillip and mary, just a normal coin with thier names in the legend in the legend

never seen any cheap Johns, and richard I, let alone touching the prices for even a particle of a norman coin :P

also a question o steven, are they under him, or Matilda or are there both?

personaly i would count mary and philip and mary as seperate issues as indeed they are.

stick to the groats and get a nice one of each - they are also a good investment as they are a lot rarer than say henry VIII half groats / groats

not a combined bust for Phillip and mary, just a normal coin with thier names in the legend in the legend

never seen any cheap Johns, and richard I, let alone touching the prices for even a particle of a norman coin :P

also a question o steven, are they under him, or Matilda or are there both?

Not fancying a Philip & Mary shilling or sixpence then? ;)

Ahhh , steven and the anarchy - lot more difficult that one.

personally i would just try and get a nice steven penny - very hard at the best of times :D

At one time I endeavoured to collect one coin from each monarch from WI on up to EII, but some monarchs are practically impossible. Then you have stuff like claimants, Queen Matilda, Lady Jane Grey etc.

These days I might actually collect HVIII coins and watch him age, inflate, marry, divorce etc. Some monarchs like HVIII and Queen Mary of Scotland just played their whole existence out one way or another on their coins. Face it, some monarchs are just more fascinating than the most.

you can't have Lady jane Grey, and its just the specific monarchs, if Matilda is possible it would be fun.

would love a philip and mary double portrait but, those are way out of my league, even a very worn example is over £20. and that defies the point of having it >.>

I think both my mary and Philip and pary are groats. well, Philip and mary is sort of 60% of a groat :P but they are a pain to find.

i think the shilling is on my wants list, but they go for far too much. especially as some are dated.

my main focus, as it should be is the war of the roses currently.

you can't have Lady jane Grey, and its just the specific monarchs, if Matilda is possible it would be fun.

would love a philip and mary double portrait but, those are way out of my league, even a very worn example is over £20. and that defies the point of having it >.>

I think both my mary and Philip and pary are groats. well, Philip and mary is sort of 60% of a groat :P but they are a pain to find.

i think the shilling is on my wants list, but they go for far too much. especially as some are dated.

Actually I have seen some LJG fantasies, gosh knows if Richard Lobel hasn't made some already, surely he will.

Actually I have seen some LJG fantasies, gosh knows if Richard Lobel hasn't made some already, surely he will.

Oh, I've had some of those too. B) Oops, did I say that out loud? :D

Edited by Peckris

I had to scroll back up to check you weren't Peter then! :D

I'm sure Peter shares similar sentiments, as long as Mrs Peter isn't looking over his shoulder :D

I'm sure Peter shares similar sentiments, as long as Mrs Peter isn't looking over his shoulder :D

My laptop is facing Mrs Peter :) My search history is strictly research based ;) Lady Jane Greys ghost apparently hangs around the Norman Tower/churchyard in the centre of Bury St Edmunds on Feb 24th.My father and his buddies camped out there in the 50's and had a brush with the law.How I tutted when this was disclosed. :rolleyes: