British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just about to get a PPI refund £5,850 :P

Any surgestions what to do with it!

Just about to get a PPI refund £5,850 :P

Any surgestions what to do with it!

Only one - send it to ME!

a night with a high class hooker in a west end hotel :D

Spend a little bit on a course on how not to be taken in by sales pitches. ;)

Spend a little bit on a course on how not to be taken in by sales pitches. ;)

Some reading glasses for the small print. ;)

A nice little windfall though. :) The world is your lobster on that amount :) I think I would head for a beach resort on the Indian Ocean in Sept/Oct for a week or two.Buy a few nice coins.Spend a little on loved ones and just enjoy it. :)

Well you can't spend it all on a coin surely? Keep the £5K to one side for a coin and let the wife decide what to do with the shrapnel.........

buy me a newark shilling?

You're cheap Scott, go for the halfcrown ;)

buy me a newark shilling?

You're cheap Scott, go for the halfcrown ;)

Go for a ninepence or sixpence - far less common. Better still a flat crown shilling where there are only a couple dozen or so survivors.

There is actually a pontefract Siege shilling for auction on the CNG website $1500 estimate and last time i looked it was over $2k

I recommend Steve Thompson :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As georgebbest would say

Spend most on wine women and booze. Waste the rest

There is actually a pontefract Siege shilling for auction on the CNG website $1500 estimate and last time i looked it was over $2k

Given it has been messily plugged, that's a lot of dosh. :o

Heads up for anyone who's interested, the Briot hammered halfcrown is the one that was unregcognised as a type by Lockdales a couple of years ago - hence the estimate of £30! CNG bought it there and paid under £1K. They had it on their site at $2450 for a while and it didn't sell, so has gone in the auction. Good provenance on it being ex-Cumberland Clark, Farquhar, Dupree, Hopkins and Pritchard. There are a few stress marks, but it isn't a bad example.

Given it has been messily plugged, that's a lot of dosh. :o

Heads up for anyone who's interested, the Briot hammered halfcrown is the one that was unregcognised as a type by Lockdales a couple of years ago - hence the estimate of £30! CNG bought it there and paid under £1K. They had it on their site at $2450 for a while and it didn't sell, so has gone in the auction. Good provenance on it being ex-Cumberland Clark, Farquhar, Dupree, Hopkins and Pritchard. There are a few stress marks, but it isn't a bad example.

Some lovely pattern farthings on there, beautiful!

Or a cheap hooker and a Cromwell crown.

I just wonder how many PPI claims are fraudulent?

Some people like the insurance and accept it...how many were actually miss sold?

When I buy white goods I always refuse insurance.

If I wanted insurance I certainly wouldn't buy it through the seller.

We all have a go at banks but in this instance I feel sorry for them.

A lot. I spent some time working for the Financial Ombudsman Service and essentially we started with the assumption that the claimant was in the right. Certain occupations - teachers, policemen (sorry John) were prevalent in making claims and a fair few won despite the fact that you knew in your heart of hearts that they were being somewhat economical with the truth, you just couldn't put your finger on it. In my time there, the assumption was made that professionals such as solicitors or accountants should really have known what they were doing and would have had the nous to read the small print and ask questions. However, I understand that has now changed and solicitors are now claiming like there is no tomorrow. So either we've got the worst legal profession in the world, or someone is pulling a fast one. Bizarre.

I do have a degree of sympathy with anyone (apart from the above) who was mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance however as it was normally an add-on to something else, such as a pension. The cost was usually a fraction of the overall total and as such people tended to disregard it. When you add up many years worth of payments however, it does come to a tidy sum.

A lot. I spent some time working for the Financial Ombudsman Service and essentially we started with the assumption that the claimant was in the right. Certain occupations - teachers, policemen (sorry John) were prevalent in making claims and a fair few won despite the fact that you knew in your heart of hearts that they were being somewhat economical with the truth, you just couldn't put your finger on it. In my time there, the assumption was made that professionals such as solicitors or accountants should really have known what they were doing and would have had the nous to read the small print and ask questions. However, I understand that has now changed and solicitors are now claiming like there is no tomorrow. So either we've got the worst legal profession in the world, or someone is pulling a fast one. Bizarre.

I do have a degree of sympathy with anyone (apart from the above) who was mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance however as it was normally an add-on to something else, such as a pension. The cost was usually a fraction of the overall total and as such people tended to disregard it. When you add up many years worth of payments however, it does come to a tidy sum.

I think this and other similar situations are endemic across society, irrespective of background. 20 years ago my sister used to arrange mortgages for a high street lender. When the s**t hit the fan in the early 90s, you've guessed it. The biggest problems were with self-certified incomes by the legal profession and accountants. i.e. their application could be tailored to achieve the desired result.

Compensation now appears to be a major pre-occupation of this country. Whiplash claims, trips, mis-selling, contents losses etc. Why work when you can get something for nothing? Sad really.

The refund of cash was only £2.500 or so but lloyds had to pay me 8% interest PA and this more than doubled the value of the claim :)

Where do you get 8% interest on your cash these days?

never never land

Or zimbabwe

In hindsight I would of bought that new car at £99 per week...with PPI.

What a sad crazy world we live in. :(

No offence taken Derek :)

I have only made 2 claims in my life, both for car wrecks that should have ended my claiming days, but, I was fortunate enough to be wheeled away from them.

I could have submitted lots and lots of claims but chose not to. One of the easiest cons claims I could have had was for vibtration whitefinger. I spent 4 1/2 years as a coal miner and the payouts have been immense for that. They were virtually paying out just because you could be bothered to apply. Strangely enough I worked in the police at the time and one of my colleagues claimed (and was paid) for his time at the shipyard in Barrow, errrrrr "how can you be a serving police officer if you can't use your hands some days?????"

No offence taken Derek :)

I have only made 2 claims in my life, both for car wrecks that should have ended my claiming days, but, I was fortunate enough to be wheeled away from them.

I could have submitted lots and lots of claims but chose not to. One of the easiest cons claims I could have had was for vibtration whitefinger. I spent 4 1/2 years as a coal miner and the payouts have been immense for that. They were virtually paying out just because you could be bothered to apply. Strangely enough I worked in the police at the time and one of my colleagues claimed (and was paid) for his time at the shipyard in Barrow, errrrrr "how can you be a serving police officer if you can't use your hands some days?????"

I had a mis-diagnosed fractured scaphoid, which is inexcusable and a classic claim situation against the NHS A&E. They known it's often missed, so take later date X-rays to search for the beginnings of calcium deposits, which show up the fracture more clearly.

The problem with breaking the scaphoid is that it only receives a blood supply from one end, meaning the other half dies and knackers your wrist if it's missed!

Anyway, I was working in theatres at the time, with the surgeon who fixed it, and his colleagues who mis-diagnosed it! Not a perfect claim situation, really! :(

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I was very glad indeed of Mortgage Protection Insurance when I got made redundant in the 90s.

I had a mis-diagnosed fractured scaphoid, which is inexcusable and a classic claim situation against the NHS A&E. They known it's often missed, so take later date X-rays to search for the beginnings of calcium deposits, which show up the fracture more clearly.

The problem with breaking the scaphoid is that it only receives a blood supply from one end, meaning the other half dies and knackers your wrist if it's missed!

Anyway, I was working in theatres at the time, with the surgeon who fixed it, and his colleagues who mis-diagnosed it! Not a perfect claim situation, really! :(

I broke two vertebrates in my neck, my left clavicle and nearly severed my spinal cord. Good thing the NHS only picked up on the clavicle... :rolleyes: