British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinery

Acetone Knackers NGC Slab Plastic & Logo!

Fools beware! I have just taken receipt of an amazingly beautiful MS64 copper in an NGC slab. The seller very kindly cellotaped the slab with gusto to a piece of cardboard, presumeably hoping to protect at least one face of the slab. Anyway, after cursing under my breath for 10 minutes, I had in hand a lovely sticky lump of plastic, with a coin encapsulated somewhere beneath the goo!

So, me thinking the best tool for the job to be acetone, I gave it a good rub with a soaked tissue - result is an opaque slab and partially damaged NGC histogram. F**k! :wacko:

nb: slab and histogram are genuine, and the coin inside is the one photographed on the NGC website! DO NOT USE ACETONE ON SLABS/HISTOGRAMS!

Fools beware! I have just taken receipt of an amazingly beautiful MS64 copper in an NGC slab. The seller very kindly cellotaped the slab with gusto to a piece of cardboard, presumeably hoping to protect at least one face of the slab. Anyway, after cursing under my breath for 10 minutes, I had in hand a lovely sticky lump of plastic, with a coin encapsulated somewhere beneath the goo!

So, me thinking the best tool for the job to be acetone, I gave it a good rub with a soaked tissue - result is an opaque slab and partially damaged NGC histogram. F**k! :wacko:

nb: slab and histogram are genuine, and the coin inside is the one photographed on the NGC website! DO NOT USE ACETONE ON SLABS/HISTOGRAMS!

Stuart, the only thing I use on slabs is a hammer ;)

:rolleyes:

Alcohol, not acetone; bit late for now...

Not that I am a slab backer, but for those that are anti-slabs: DO NOT TOUCH OBVERSE OR REVERSE surfaces!!!

I have seen far too many coins handled by ham-fisted collectors and dealers with residual prints and or rim dings - to me this is at least part of the counter argument against the no-slab folks....

DO NOT USE ACETONE ON SLABS/HISTOGRAMS

i think the histogram is safe but keep the acetone away from the hologram :rolleyes:

Alcohol, not acetone; bit late for now...

Not that I am a slab backer, but for those that are anti-slabs: DO NOT TOUCH OBVERSE OR REVERSE surfaces!!!

I have seen far too many coins handled by ham-fisted collectors and dealers with residual prints and or rim dings - to me this is at least part of the counter argument against the no-slab folks....

I usually slobber alcohol over my coins....not pure but mixed with hops,malt and barley with a speck of spare rib juice. B)

I have tried acetone on cd covers - it has the same effect - totally ruins them.

As for totally ruining slabs - i think acetone deserves a gold medal . :D

You now have the perfect reason to set the coin free!

DO NOT USE ACETONE ON SLABS/HISTOGRAMS

i think the histogram is safe but keep the acetone away from the hologram :rolleyes:

Where on earth did I get that one from? :D

You now have the perfect reason to set the coin free!

I know what you mean but, whether we like it or not, it would likely sell so much better, having been graded by a 'true numismatic professional :D' (acetone disaster aside)! ;)

I hear that acetone is not safe to use on Hysterectomies

as well!!!!! :lol:

I hear that acetone is not safe to use on Hysterectomies

as well!!!!! :lol:

Not to be recommended! ;)

as much as it is nice to hold the coin, i would love slabbed ones as you know that they are safe from easy accedental damage.

or not in this case :P

On the other hand, acetone is very good for removing nail varnish

so I'm told :D

And coins from slabs as well!!!!! :P

I'm going to see whether jewellers rose can bring the surface back to life (may even give T-cut a trial on an Acetoned CD cover), the opaqueness can only be microns deep! I'm not quite as bothered about the HOLOGRAM as it's still obviously their hologram, and the online images match clearly, but it would be good to see the coin at least!

Maybe you can Test various other chemicals Stuart while you're at it, just so we all know what is good to use and what is'nt. ;)

I'm going to see whether jewellers rose can bring the surface back to life (may even give T-cut a trial on an Acetoned CD cover), the opaqueness can only be microns deep! I'm not quite as bothered about the HOLOGRAM as it's still obviously their hologram, and the online images match clearly, but it would be good to see the coin at least!

There is a product on the market for removing the opacity from the plastic windows on car soft tops - http://www.renovointernational.com/products/plastic-polish.php. The bad news is, I had some and threw it away after a general clear out of my garage a few months ago. The even worse news is, it didn't seem to work anyway.

I always use white spirit for removing sellotape residue.

Maybe you can Test various other chemicals Stuart while you're at it, just so we all know what is good to use and what is'nt. ;)

It's a massive pain in the proverbial I can tell you! Ahh, the joys of idiocy :D

There is a product on the market for removing the opacity from the plastic windows on car soft tops - http://www.renovointernational.com/products/plastic-polish.php. The bad news is, I had some and threw it away after a general clear out of my garage a few months ago. The even worse news is, it didn't seem to work anyway.

Many thanks for that, I'll have a proper surf around that one tomorrow, maybe a better starting place than T-Cut! A shame there's not a colour restorer for the hologram!

A shop vice and pliers also suffice. I had to crack out poor Annie out of her plastic tomb a few years ago:

anne1707ecrown.jpg

Surely she wasn't deserving of such a punitive condemnation as being plastic tombed. Now she breathes once the more.

I'd try a Single Malt for removing residue, one for me, one for the tomb, twice the more for me, only once for the plastic tomb.

Not tried on a slab , but I always use a smear of brasso to remove the sticky

gunge tapes and sticky labels leave on plastic items. I alway tend to " smash

the slab " as I like to know whats hidden away around the edge of a coin even if

I can see the Obverse and Reverse well

I'd try a Single Malt for removing residue, one for me, one for the tomb, twice the more for me, only once for the plastic tomb.

I couldn't possible waste good whiskey on an old slab! ;)