British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Generic Lad

Victorian currency twopence?

Are the 1838 and 1848 twopences currency or maundy? I was under the impression that all Victorian silver pennies, twopence and groats (with the number 4, not the Britannia groat) were maundy coins, but when I look in my 2009 copy of Spinks I see that under the young head number 3914E shows a twopence separate from the maundy twopence which is 3919. So why are the Spinks numbers different?

Are the 1838 and 1848 twopences currency or maundy? I was under the impression that all Victorian silver pennies, twopence and groats (with the number 4, not the Britannia groat) were maundy coins, but when I look in my 2009 copy of Spinks I see that under the young head number 3914E shows a twopence separate from the maundy twopence which is 3919. So why are the Spinks numbers different?

The 1838 and 1848(?) are currency pieces. The 1838 is quite common and doesn't have the higher quality field associated with maundy money. The 1848 is not common.

The 1838 and 1848(?) are currency pieces. The 1838 is quite common and doesn't have the higher quality field associated with maundy money. The 1848 is not common.

Hm, interesting, guess you learn something new every day! Thanks!

Hm, interesting, guess you learn something new every day! Thanks!

Re-reading the reply I'd better add in case you get the wrong idea, that there are Maundy twopencess in the sets for 1838 and 1848 and not that they are replaced by currency pieces. It's just that currency pieces also exist.