British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mongo

Cataloguing my collection....

I use pen and paper, it even works in a power cut!

My accounts are done the same way Peter. If my accountants want £750 a year out of me they can bloody well earn it!!

As long as you keep the paper away from the candle flame :D

They don't let us have fire up here Peck, tis too dangerous this close to the wall :D

I use pen and paper, it even works in a power cut!

My accounts are done the same way Peter. If my accountants want £750 a year out of me they can bloody well earn it!!

As long as you keep the paper away from the candle flame :D

They don't let us have fire up here Peck, tis too dangerous this close to the wall :D

Pray you don't get a power cut then! :D

I started to catalogue my coins today, I must say... It is another really enjoyable part of the hobby! :)

I decided to go for a basic spreadsheet for now, one which I can expand as I see fit. I decided on: Monarch, Date, Denomination, Description, Grade, Spink, Date of Purchase and Purchase Price.

It is easy to add a description for most coins, but I struggle when it comes to coins such as a 1936 Penny for example, my description for that is "Bronze"... I can not think of anything else to write!

It is fun studying my Spink book and deciding what details I want to record for each coin, like my 1926 Shilling which I describe as "First Effigy 500 Silver".

Also, I did not realise I had aquired so many coins already... My collection is coming along nicley! :)

I started to catalogue my coins today, I must say... It is another really enjoyable part of the hobby! :)

I decided to go for a basic spreadsheet for now, one which I can expand as I see fit. I decided on: Monarch, Date, Denomination, Description, Grade, Spink, Date of Purchase and Purchase Price.

It is easy to add a description for most coins, but I struggle when it comes to coins such as a 1936 Penny for example, my description for that is "Bronze"... I can not think of anything else to write!

It is fun studying my Spink book and deciding what details I want to record for each coin, like my 1926 Shilling which I describe as "First Effigy 500 Silver".

Also, I did not realise I had aquired so many coins already... My collection is coming along nicley! :)

:) Do record where you got the coins from too, invaluable in the end B)

:) Do record where you got the coins from too, invaluable in the end B)

And you could also add such things as "Variety", "Reference" (Freeman, Peck, Spink etc), "Latest Spink value", "Proof" (Y/N), "Storage" (if you use flips, albums, trays, boxes etc). And if you ever dispose of any, you will want a record of who/where you sold it to, and how much for. You could use Description for toning characteristics, and don't forget having a space for a picture of obverse / reverse.

Thanks guys. I added a "Source" column as advised, this should keep me busy for a while! I will have to invest in a decent camera soon, I can scan my coins, but they never show the natural detail and eye appeal.

Edited by Mongo

Thanks guys. I added a "Source" column as advised, this should keep me busy for a while! I will have to invest in a decent camera soon, I can scan my coins, but they never show the natural detail and eye appeal.

If you don't adopt any of my other suggestions, then at least add a "Variety" column - you may come to regret not recording this separately right from the start (you can always leave it blank where there aren't any).

If you don't adopt any of my other suggestions, then at least add a "Variety" column - you may come to regret not recording this separately right from the start (you can always leave it blank where there aren't any).

Ok boss! :P

I have added a "Variety" column. I was going to put variety in my description, but you are right, I have noticed already that certain coins need LOTS of description! This will make it easier for me.

Thanks Peck.

Lots more coins to add, but this is how I am getting on at the moment. The "?" are coins that I need to decide a grade for. I am thinking about rounding the purchase prices up or down to the nearest £0.25, just to make things easier.

What do you find easiest when you get a discount... divide the total discount between the number of coins in that "lot", and then take that amount off each individual coin price? :blink:

coinsheet.jpg

Lots more coins to add, but this is how I am getting on at the moment. The "?" are coins that I need to decide a grade for. I am thinking about rounding the purchase prices up or down to the nearest £0.25, just to make things easier.

What do you find easiest when you get a discount... divide the total discount between the number of coins in that "lot", and then take that amount off each individual coin price? :blink:

coinsheet.jpg

Price them to the nearest pound. TBH, it doesn't really matter whether you paid 10p or £1 and when the time comes to sell, it won't matter either. A collection will contain some things that you overpaid for and others that were bought cheaply. The deviations from book prices will far outweigh any discrepancies arising from rounding error. And in time you probably won't give a damn. :)

Thanks Rob! :)

You are right, rounding up or down to the nearest pound will probably even itself out over time, and still give an accurate estimate of the purchase total.

coinsheet.jpg

On the discount question, I was always very crafty - if I thought I'd paid slightly too much for one of the coins, I'd deduct it from that one alone; otherwise I could do as you suggest; or if you feel you are likely to upgrade one sometime, you could apply more of the discount to that one, so you can sell it more advantageously when the time comes. It's as broad as it's long - in the end, you paid what you paid, so how you split is up to you.

On the grading, does Excel allow you to put text functions, e.g. drop down lists, in your worksheet? In my database I have a drop down that splits Condition into three : 1. A or N or G or blank 2. BU UNC EF VF F Fair 3. (a longer list for those occasions where obverse and reverse are different, which only happens in a minority of cases, so it's not used so much - basically it goes from /AUNC down to /NFair). Then behind the scenes my database concatenates all three Conditions into Grade. I'm sure Excel probably allows this, but if not, it's one clear advantage of databases over spreadsheets.

Thanks Peck.

I found out when I tried to use Excel that I only had a trial version on my PC! I had a Microsoft Works disc handy, so I am using that. It is a basic version of spreadsheet software so I am still working out how to use it, pretty straight forward though.

I had a browse through my Spink book and it gives a good description for common coins, such as a 1936 Penny it describes as "Small bare head l, R. Brittania Seated r. date in ex."... That sounds a bit better than my description.. "Bronze"

I will use the spink descriptions, then add my own for the variety column, as some are not listed in spink (the Q's on the 1887 shillings for example). I may aswell get it right now, rather than have to go back and do them all again later.

What is a typical description for a common coin in your database Peck? It might give me some ideas. :)

Thanks Peck.

I found out when I tried to use Excel that I only had a trial version on my PC! I had a Microsoft Works disc handy, so I am using that. It is a basic version of spreadsheet software so I am still working out how to use it, pretty straight forward though.

I had a browse through my Spink book and it gives a good description for common coins, such as a 1936 Penny it describes as "Small bare head l, R. Brittania Seated r. date in ex."... That sounds a bit better than my description.. "Bronze"

I will use the spink descriptions, then add my own for the variety column, as some are not listed in spink (the Q's on the 1887 shillings for example). I may aswell get it right now, rather than have to go back and do them all again later.

What is a typical description for a common coin in your database Peck? It might give me some ideas. :)

Actually I only use Variety where there is one, e.g. LT for 1902 pennies, or H / KN, or ME, stuff like that. If there's a Freeman or Peck number I'll use that for less well known varieties. Description I use for a multitude of purposes - e.g. Lot Number (auctions), perhaps a general rarity comment, people who helped me with information about the coin, more precise details about the seller - e.g. my Midland Coin Fair drop down choice doesn't identify who the actual dealer is. As for your Spink description, I leave it in Spink (no point in duplicating that!).

Actually I only use Variety where there is one, e.g. LT for 1902 pennies, or H / KN, or ME, stuff like that. If there's a Freeman or Peck number I'll use that for less well known varieties. Description I use for a multitude of purposes - e.g. Lot Number (auctions), perhaps a general rarity comment, people who helped me with information about the coin, more precise details about the seller - e.g. my Midland Coin Fair drop down choice doesn't identify who the actual dealer is. As for your Spink description, I leave it in Spink (no point in duplicating that!).

Thanks again, your right. I thought that just after I posted last! Seems pointless to add lots of description where it is not needed.

I will use my Spink to find the details of each coin, then pick and choose parts of the descriptions as needed :)

I'm starting doing my list one major difference is I'm keeping all my shillings florins etc together. Otherwise I think when I have quite a few it will take ages to spot which ones I'm missing :)

I'm starting doing my list one major difference is I'm keeping all my shillings florins etc together. Otherwise I think when I have quite a few it will take ages to spot which ones I'm missing :)

Not a problem for me pies, I can "sort" any of the columns whenever I need to, with the click of a button!... by date, denomination, grade etc. and also by denomination + date. That is one of the good things about a spreadsheet :)

Edited by Mongo

If you're using Excel and want to include photos in the spreadsheet (in the form of mouseover pop-ups), you might like to read this thread which explains how to do this. It works very well!

If you're using Excel and want to include photos in the spreadsheet (in the form of mouseover pop-ups), you might like to read this thread which explains how to do this. It works very well!

Thanks for that, it looks really good! I am actually using the lesser spreadsheet, Microsoft Works, but it does seem to have most things just like Excel. I will see if your instructions will work for my spreadsheet too. I do not have a decent camera to take good photos yet, but I will use some "test" photos for now :)

I had a quick look, and there is no option to "Right click on that cell then choose 'insert comment' from the drop down menu" like in your thread :(

I will have a good look around the net tomorrow and see if I can find some tutorials for Microsoft Works. If not, then I will get a copy of Excel installed.

Edited by Mongo

I have just been playing around with the "sort" option in my file. I think your idea is better pies! I will have a different list for each denomination, or maybe each monarch, either way will work :)

Your suggestion is much easier to sort pies! Just tried it out with some of my farthings. Thanks for posting the idea, saved me lots of work :)

coinsheet-1.jpg

Not a problem for me pies, I can "sort" any of the columns whenever I need to, with the click of a button!... by date, denomination, grade etc. and also by denomination + date. That is one of the good things about a spreadsheet :)

I had a quick look, and there is no option to "Right click on that cell then choose 'insert comment' from the drop down menu" like in your thread :(

I will have a good look around the net tomorrow and see if I can find some tutorials for Microsoft Works. If not, then I will get a copy of Excel installed.

It seems to me a great pity that databases have gone out of fashion - they are much more powerful and versatile, and unrestrained by columns and rows (unless you "convert to table" which you can do for a particular layout), you can create layouts of great beauty and elegance, with fields where you want them, drop down lists to select from and save typing, and yet still with a range of calculations and functions available, just like a spreadsheet. And you can have total fields, summary fields etc

Apple Works came with a simple database - is there one in MS Works? If so, and assuming it has a good range of functions, you might find you don't need Excel.

Here is an example of one of my layouts (history of Seaby/Spink values)

oops, it won't let me add an attschment on a Edit - see next post

Edited by Peckris

The attachment in question:

post-4737-065869200 1343124324_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it speaks for itself!

That does look more useful and versatile than a spreadsheet Peck. I did not even look to see if Microsoft Works has database software... It does! The templates on offer are of no use for listing coin data, but this is what it looks like blank.

database.jpg

When I get some spare time, I will have to have a play around with it and see what I can create :)

That does look more useful and versatile than a spreadsheet Peck. I did not even look to see if Microsoft Works has database software... It does! The templates on offer are of no use for listing coin data, but this is what it looks like blank.

database.jpg

When I get some spare time, I will have to have a play around with it and see what I can create :)

Great - it will only be a simple database, Access-lite, but I'm prepared to bet it's more powerful and versatile than the MS Works spreadsheet. Make sure it includes total / summary fields where you can dynamically see the running total of - e.g. - your purchase costs, latest values, etc.