British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mongo

Quick questions on the 1887 shilling Q's...

You should have a go at the Edward VII farthings too, that's a good challenge in high grade and nice tone!

Easy :P;)

Pah, you're just too damn good, Peter, they never came easily to me! :)

How did you manage to post that? When I try to reply to it, I get "The number of opening quote tags does not match the number of closing quote tags." I've amended your quoted post to correct it, otherwise it wouldn't let me post.

I do seem to have the knack of pressing a few buttons and breaking things, never to see them work again! :D

:D LOL - but you didn't get a message when you posted that?

I have two NEF Eddie farthings in the post! I am all over the place at the moment, just when I said to myself "right! I love shillings, I am going to collect them for now"... I went and put in an order for a handful of nice grade farthings! :o

Its all good fun :)

You should have a go at the Edward VII farthings too, that's a good challenge in high grade and nice tone!

How did you manage to post that? When I try to reply to it, I get "The number of opening quote tags does not match the number of closing quote tags." I've amended your quoted post to correct it, otherwise it wouldn't let me post.

I do seem to have the knack of pressing a few buttons and breaking things, never to see them work again! :D

Re set to factory settings is the 1st thing I look for :D

Interesting, no I didn't! I do normally get warned off however when I'm cutting out links and text without concentrating! Strange!

Can we call this one an extremely rare 3 over 4? :)

I have two NEF Eddie farthings in the post! I am all over the place at the moment, just when I said to myself "right! I love shillings, I am going to collect them for now"... I went and put in an order for a handful of nice grade farthings! :o

Lol I know where your coming from. I started on Edward vII florins then got a few of his shillings then a couple of vickys shillings then a couple of Edwards sixpences. Now I've just bought a Charles 1 sixpence :blink::wub:

You've got that roving eye, Mongo! You've got it bad m'friend! I do love the warmth of copper and bronze! And I like the stark black against the silver of old hammered! And I like the soft golden tones over the lustre of later milled silver! And I...

Lol I know where your coming from. I started on Edward vII florins then got a few of his shillings then a couple of vickys shillings then a couple of Edwards sixpences. Now I've just bought a Charles 1 sixpence :blink::wub:

You're all crazy! He says having also bought a Charles XII today, when he should be keeping the cash for his other coin 'research'! Apparently, if you call it research, you can justify it to the other half! God knows what I shall have to come up with for the Charles XII?

You're all crazy! He says having also bought a Charles XII today, when he should be keeping the cash for his other coin 'research'! Apparently, if you call it research, you can justify it to the other half! God knows what I shall have to come up with for the Charles XII?

I am ok on that front! I dont live with the bird, yet, so I will make the most of it while I can :P

Interesting, no I didn't! I do normally get warned off however when I'm cutting out links and text without concentrating! Strange!

Can we call this one an extremely rare 3 over 4? :)

Hahaha, why not! Make sure you post it in the "Unrecorded varieties" forum :D

The Shillings arrived today. I also now have a loupe, so it was nice to be able to compare some small coin variations for the first time, they are lovely!

And thanks for my Parcel Rob, arrived safely. I tried to PM you, but it told me I am naughty and im not allowed :D

The Shillings arrived today. I also now have a loupe, so it was nice to be able to compare some small coin variations for the first time, they are lovely!

And thanks for my Parcel Rob, arrived safely. I tried to PM you, but it told me I am naughty and im not allowed :D

Don't understand this. The last time someone initiated a PM for me was at the end of May/beginning of June. Don't know what's happened since, but if anyone knows how to reinstate the ability to PM me, please feel free to speak out.

Eclecticism rules! Nobody says you have to be consistent...

Don't understand this. The last time someone initiated a PM for me was at the end of May/beginning of June. Don't know what's happened since, but if anyone knows how to reinstate the ability to PM me, please feel free to speak out.

If you go to "My Settings" then click on the "Settings" tab on the LHS, then select "Your Notifications". All of your previous PMs are stored here - try deleting a few old ones.

Yep, I tried to PM you the other night...wouldn't let me, emailed you instead, as you know!

As usual I seem to get in on the thread after everyone else has had their say and most helpful they are particularly the pictures but. can anyone confirm my figures for the relative mintages of each reverse.

A 1.2% approximate mintage 48,410

B 11.5% 463,925

C 87.3% 3,521,798

Crikey, that's good info, 1887! Is that from your own surveys, multiplied up, a la VR Court?

No need to multiply up only interpolate. I do my own research and in this case it is based on a sample of 507 shillings in my collection, on ebay, or for sale with other dealers. The margin of error decreases inversely with the size of the sample. Interestingly the YH is twice as numerous as the rev. A. I guess there could be an error of .2% without offending the mathematicians. In cases of doubt, for example where I do not have the coin in hand I ignore the data. Could you give me ref. for the VR Court data please? Royal Mint figures are quoted and misquoted variously.

As usual I seem to get in on the thread after everyone else has had their say and most helpful they are particularly the pictures but. can anyone confirm my figures for the relative mintages of each reverse.

A 1.2% approximate mintage 48,410

B 11.5% 463,925

C 87.3% 3,521,798

Crikey, that's good info, 1887! Is that from your own surveys, multiplied up, a la VR Court?

No need to multiply up only interpolate. I do my own research and in this case it is based on a sample of 507 shillings in my collection, on ebay, or for sale with other dealers. The margin of error decreases inversely with the size of the sample. Interestingly the YH is twice as numerous as the rev. A. I guess there could be an error of .2% without offending the mathematicians. In cases of doubt, for example where I do not have the coin in hand I ignore the data. Could you give me ref. for the VR Court data please? Royal Mint figures are quoted and misquoted variously.

VR Court did a variety survey of £9,000 face value of 20th century pennies in the early '70s; I have it as a PDF. I'll fire it over to you if you can give me your email address...