British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mongo

Quick questions on the 1887 shilling Q's...

I would like to get myself an example of an 1887 Shilling for my collection, I think there are three different "Q" types? Which one is the most difficult to find?

Thanks! :)

I would like to get myself an example of an 1887 Shilling for my collection, I think there are three different "Q" types? Which one is the most difficult to find?

Long tail Q, Davies rev. A

In my experience Mongo, the Q with the long loopless tail is the trickiest - 1+A. 1+C is the easiest.

This might help...

1887Shillings.jpg

Thanks Rob! I was actually just looking at the ones you have for sale, I might go for both types you have on offer. Then I will only have to find the long tail to complete the set!

In my experience Mongo, the Q with the long loopless tail is the trickiest - 1+A. 1+C is the easiest.

This might help...

1887Shillings.jpg

Thanks declan... I was googling like a nut earlier trying to find pics of all three! Those are very helpful :)

Thanks Rob! I was actually just looking at the ones you have for sale, I might go for both types you have on offer. Then I will only have to find the long tail to complete the set!

Cripes, are you micro'ing' already, Mongo? It's testament to the quality of this forum that you are even giving it a go. As I've said over and over, a learning resource like this one is worth a dozen books and more. Having said that, you then need the books! But hooray for you, great stuff. Your thread's really inspired me! :)

Oi Mongo dont you go buying any more of my coins :P (I already have 1C) :)

Those pics really help cheers

You can have one of those too if you want.

Cripes, are you micro'ing' already, Mongo? It's testament to the quality of this forum that you are even giving it a go. As I've said over and over, a learning resource like this one is worth a dozen books and more. Having said that, you then need the books! But hooray for you, great stuff. Your thread's really inspired me! :)

The resources, the books.... but I also need the money! :) I thought the 1887 shilling would be a good place to start with something like this, as the prices are affordable for me. I am also looking into the Old head Victoria farthings varieties, with the help of Colin and his Aboutfarthings site!

Booo hiss booo! I wish I never said I was after Rob's shillings now :P

Thanks Rob. My coin pocket money is spoken for this week, so I will have to stick with those two for now (along with one of those stock box's I asked about). Will put my order in on Thursday for those 3 items :)

Thanks Rob. My coin pocket money is spoken for this week, so I will have to stick with those two for now (along with one of those stock box's I asked about). Will put my order in on Thursday for those 3 items :)

Thanks

The resources, the books.... but I also need the money! :) I thought the 1887 shilling would be a good place to start with something like this, as the prices are affordable for me. I am also looking into the Old head Victoria farthings varieties, with the help of Colin and his Aboutfarthings site!

You should have a go at the Edward VII farthings too, that's a good challenge in high grade and nice tone!

Booo hiss booo! I wish I never said I was after Rob's shillings now :P

You can have them as you let me have my florin :D :D :D :D

That's the first time I ever heard a seller say "Don't go buying my coins" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

As usual I seem to get in on the thread after everyone else has had their say and most helpful they are particularly the pictures but. can anyone confirm my figures for the relative mintages of each reverse.

A 1.2% approximate mintage 48,410

B 11.5% 463,925

C 87.3% 3,521,798

Plus of course the proofs 1,084 which are thought to all be rev. C thought, I do have a currency "proof" rev. B

You should have a go at the Edward VII farthings too, that's a good challenge in high grade and nice tone!

Easy :P;)

As usual I seem to get in on the thread after everyone else has had their say and most helpful they are particularly the pictures but. can anyone confirm my figures for the relative mintages of each reverse.

A 1.2% approximate mintage 48,410

B 11.5% 463,925

C 87.3% 3,521,798

Crikey, that's good info, 1887! Is that from your own surveys, multiplied up, a la VR Court?

Edited by Peckris

Pah, you're just too damn good, Peter, they never came easily to me! :)

No, nor me. Got most of them up to nEF and than stalled - apart from 1902 and 1905 - found those two close to UNC but not quite.

How did you manage to post that? When I try to reply to it, I get "The number of opening quote tags does not match the number of closing quote tags." I've amended your quoted post to correct it, otherwise it wouldn't let me post.

How did you manage to post that? When I try to reply to it, I get "The number of opening quote tags does not match the number of closing quote tags." I've amended your quoted post to correct it, otherwise it wouldn't let me post.

Ah Peck...are you stumped :)

I got a few nice Eddies from Germany (not Chris).

I've stopped looking now because upgrading GEF is not an Ebay option (or a coin fair option) after I have gorged on steak,red wine etc

the night before. :)

Ah Peck...are you stumped :)

I got a few nice Eddies from Germany (not Chris).

I've stopped looking now because upgrading GEF is not an Ebay option (or a coin fair option) after I have gorged on steak,red wine etc

the night before. :)

It's always been the case. Forum software has certain rules that are independent of whatever computer platform you use, and I'm baffled how they can be broken even accidentally?

I do seem to have the knack of pressing a few buttons and breaking things, never to see them work again! :D