British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mat

Canadian Token

Guest Mat

Good day,

I have recently found an interest in the coin collection I recieved as a youth. I have been surfing around the internet learning about the collecting of coins, and was fascinated. Like any other hobby or profession one doesn't realize how grand it can be until investigated. I am extremely new to this and would like to know if anyone could provide me with information regarding my 1820 Upper Canada half penny token. It is the sort with an anvil, two shovels, and a sloop on the front. Was it pressed in the 30's? Is it rare? value?

I also have a coin that has a loop on the top of it so one could attach it to a chain. "to hanover 1837" is written on the front and a mounted rider is depicted on the front. H.M.G.M Queen Victoria is written on the back. The coin does not look that old and I cannot find any information about it. If anyone could provide any information I would be grateful.

Mat

Dear Mat,

I thought I would have no trouble finding that coin in my 19th Century World Coin Catalogue, but I couldn't see it! According to this source Upper Canada was formed in 1849 and there is a provincial halfpenny dated 1832 but nothing as early as 1820. I think you'll have to register and post a scan of the coin.

The second coin is a 'Cumberland Jack' made to poke fun at the then Duke of cumberland, it probably dates around 1837, but is pretty common and not likely to be worth more than a couple of quid if it's in exceptional condition and the loop is contemporary.

Welcome to the forum and back to coin collecting.

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com