British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hussulo

Counterfiet coins being produced in China

If anyone hasn't read or seen this before it makes an interesting but scary read:

http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins/ig/Chinese-Counterfeiting-Ring/

Buyer beware!

Not so much caveat emptor as cave coinem :P (One for Classical scholars B) )

Yep, the Chinese have managed to counterfeit an entire culture, which is really a shame because the Chinese coin market is rather profitable right now, but there are so many fakes out there, and those that aren't fakes are deceptively worded.

Take this for instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Chinese-chun-guang-chan-shou-Silver-Bullion-/110906142671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d2856fcf

At first, it sounds interesting, little piece of silver, might be worth the price but you look at the description and in broken English it says:

"Material : Silver/copper-nickel allay/zinc"

So the "silver bullion" is actually copper nickel and zinc...

It also doesn't help that Cash coins are really easy to fake. I wouldn't mind having a small collection of Chinese cash coins because they are inexpensive but there's just no way to know if they are genuine or not unless you dig them out of the ground yourself.

Yep, the Chinese have managed to counterfeit an entire culture, which is really a shame because the Chinese coin market is rather profitable right now, but there are so many fakes out there, and those that aren't fakes are deceptively worded.

Take this for instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Chinese-chun-guang-chan-shou-Silver-Bullion-/110906142671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d2856fcf

At first, it sounds interesting, little piece of silver, might be worth the price but you look at the description and in broken English it says:

"Material : Silver/copper-nickel allay/zinc"

So the "silver bullion" is actually copper nickel and zinc...

It also doesn't help that Cash coins are really easy to fake. I wouldn't mind having a small collection of Chinese cash coins because they are inexpensive but there's just no way to know if they are genuine or not unless you dig them out of the ground yourself.

I don't think its that bad. Its probably much like collecting Roman coins - You have to take your time to get the knowlegde of the coins and one can never be 100% sure but that's how the world is...

This is an old list but still useful.

Seiuks idea of heaven lol :)

Edited by azda

The only secure way to get a complete collection of anything is to produce it yourself... :ph34r:

The only secure way to get a complete collection of anything is to produce it yourself... :ph34r:

You are Ashmore and I claim my £5 :D

If anyone hasn't read or seen this before it makes an interesting but scary read:

Buyer beware!

Thanks for sharing the article with us Hussulo! It's certainly good to hear about these things. I definitely won't be buying any more U.S coins from online auctions. Will stick to dealers for these now :)

Buyer beware!

Thanks for sharing the article with us Hussulo! It's certainly good to hear about these things. I definitely won't be buying any more U.S coins from online auctions. Will stick to dealers for these now :)

Most sellers are OK.Just be careful with what you buy and how much you pay and where you buy it from.

It scares me!!!!!! Could we not set up a forum just for fake coins so if new one show up the word can get out quickly. :o

Buyer beware!

A dealer in the US was actually busted for knowingly selling fakes. Just saying.

The more worrying one is the Gothic crown which is doing the rounds. If some would be good enough to pop the link in from this eBay number

Chris, an appeal to you...can we have a separate 'link,' or whatever the correct terminology is for it, akin to the 'new varieties' section, where known fakes can be posted under sub-divisions, Elizabeth I, George III, etc., with perhaps a page clarifying how the location should be used? Namely, 'nothing but counterfeit talk here please,' and under the right sub-heading, please, on pain of death!

It seems a bit of a waste that all the valuable past contributions have just disappeared into the ether, dependant upon someone guessing that the thread began with a title like 'my favourite christmas present from marilyn,' or whatever??

Could become a major resource, could bring even more traffic to the forum!

I obviously have no comprehension of the logistics involved in this, but it would surely be worthwhile in the name of numismatics?

The more worrying one is the Gothic crown which is doing the rounds. If some would be good enough to pop the link in from this eBay number

great looking coin how do you id it as a fake from the pics :unsure:

Edited by pies

I

i don't pies, but 2 clues of origin are the sellers name plus his 1 feedback name. Also the description. Lost in translation comes to mind.

I

i don't pies, but 2 clues of origin are the sellers name plus his 1 feedback name. Also the description. Lost in translation comes to mind.

There is a fair chance that coin is now owned by a uk person.So when its resale time it may well fetch a huge amount :(

Chris, an appeal to you...can we have a separate 'link,' or whatever the correct terminology is for it, akin to the 'new varieties' section, where known fakes can be posted under sub-divisions, Elizabeth I, George III, etc., with perhaps a page clarifying how the location should be used? Namely, 'nothing but counterfeit talk here please,' and under the right sub-heading, please, on pain of death!

It seems a bit of a waste that all the valuable past contributions have just disappeared into the ether, dependant upon someone guessing that the thread began with a title like 'my favourite christmas present from marilyn,' or whatever??

I obviously have no comprehension of the logistics involved in this, but it would surely be worthwhile in the name of numismatics?

With what fakers can and do produce these days it's time we start to talk about it more. we need to get to know what they are and have faked. We could with regular members swap any fake coins we have so pepole get to know the look/feel and then pass it on with permission of the owner. There could be a data base so the coin swap will keep track of coins being swapped around so it can be returned to the owner if requested. :rolleyes:

With what fakers can and do produce these days it's time we start to talk about it more. we need to get to know what they are and have faked. We could with regular members swap any fake coins we have so pepole get to know the look/feel and then pass it on with permission of the owner. There could be a data base so the coin swap will keep track of coins being swapped around so it can be returned to the owner if requested. :rolleyes:

My point exactly! There is an extremely good 1905 shilling that has been available under the exact same philosophy and terms that you have just described, only the original thread is now long buried, unless found by chance!

It's a pity you can't bookmark individual threads here - you can with other forums using different software. Unless you can, and I haven't found out how you do it?

The GOTHIC CROWN Ebay 180919089610 fetched only £400.00 ,but it is damned

hard to see whats wrong. I posted this Gothic sold by Laura_5268 from China

previously. She (he ?) is the well known 1763 Northumberland Shilling forgery

seller. Most collectors cannot see whats wrong with the Gothic Crown in my

pictures, but it is listed as a FAKE and the seller alone makes that a certainty.

If things are this good, anything could be out there ,as if only a few are

sold slowly it will take a long long time for them to be noticed, and as we have

seen the 1763 Shillings fakes have passed through the major London Auctions quite

happily.

post-6970-059011500 1341926725_thumb.jpg

Heres the FAKE GOTHIC REVERSE ---sorry it was to large to add in last post

I'd love to know if any Forum Members know EXACTELY what to look for on these

FAKE GOTHIC's . As Gothic's are selling on the "bay" for £1000/£2000 region

in quite a quality seemingly every week. It seems to me there are many more

around than were ever minted !!

One report says the HARP STRINGS are NOT precisely straight on the fakes ?

post-6970-051483500 1341926847_thumb.jpg

My point that was probably missed earlier was its easier to spot that as being iffy goling by the sellers details on ebay but if that coin comes from an innocent person how can you id it as fake i.e judge the coin :unsure:

It's a pity you can't bookmark individual threads here - you can with other forums using different software. Unless you can, and I haven't found out how you do it?

You can always create a shortcut to any given thread, of course. That will last as long as the device you've shortcutted it to.

It's a pity you can't see further back than your previous 5 posts though.

I also remember that 1905 shilling thread which Coinery mentioned.