British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mongo

The 1935 Crown that could have been minted?

Came accross this picture from the Royal Mint online exhibition. Is it just me, or is this design so much more attractive than the one that was minted? :o

The heraldic artist George Kruger Gray prepared a St George in 1935 for the Silver Jubilee crown, which narrowly lost out to Percy Metcalfe’s version.

1935crown.jpg

Yeah, the issued design was know as 'the rocking horse' and that describes it quite well. I suspect there are quite a few coins that with our modern eyes would have looked better with designs that were rejected at the time.

Now, if you could just find a coin that had slipped out of the mint with this reverse ... that would solve the problem of funding a collection I'd imagine! :P

That's why patterns hold such an interest for me. So many things that might have been. Patterns are the hidden gems, and frequently cheaper than currency rarities as a bonus.

Yeah, the issued design was know as 'the rocking horse' and that describes it quite well. I suspect there are quite a few coins that with our modern eyes would have looked better with designs that were rejected at the time.

Now, if you could just find a coin that had slipped out of the mint with this reverse ... that would solve the problem of funding a collection I'd imagine! :P

That sure would be a find! :D

I wonder how many honest coin collectors on this forum would "pocket" pattern, error coins etc. from the mint, if they had the chance to work there, and knew they could get away with it!... not me... honest! :P

Came accross this picture from the Royal Mint online exhibition. Is it just me, or is this design so much more attractive than the one that was minted? :o

The heraldic artist George Kruger Gray prepared a St George in 1935 for the Silver Jubilee crown, which narrowly lost out to Percy Metcalfe’s version.

Not just you - it's a beaut, much nicer than the rocking horse.

i like this - BUT the head of George just looks wrong there is no face there and it just looks bad - i am sure it could have been a lot better

Also does george look just a little too small ? :lol:

My opinion only !

A bit like a dwarf on a horse really

That's pretty cool thanks for sharing.

If I was being critical the horses head looks a bit small, where as its neck looks a bit large and I agree that St George looks a bit small in preportion as well but its nice to see a different design of this type.

If I was being critical the horses head looks a bit small, where as its neck looks a bit large and I agree that St George looks a bit small in preportion as well but its nice to see a different design of this type.

At least he's got some clothes on.

Looks to me as if that lance has just gone through the creature's lip which means St. G will have shortly have one mighty angry dragon on his hands.

Edited by Red Riley

Awful simply awful as I include the majority of modern issues.Croker et all must be turning in their graves.

At least he's got some clothes on.

Looks to me as if that lance has just gone through the creature's lip which means St. G will have shortly have one mighty angry dragon on his hands.

And being that small, and encased in armour, he won't be able to do the "fisherman thing" down the pub, to show the size of the "one that got away". :lol:

It's an agreeable design but I prefer the Percy Metcalfe Rocking Horse.

I would love Britannia to be put back on our coins.(just posting my thoughts :) )

I would love Britannia to be put back on our coins.(just posting my thoughts :) )

You never know Peter! King Charles? William?... You might be lucky :)

Now that is going to be difficult... an attractive portrait of Charles! :P

Err look at the Royalty over the centuries....not attractive...I give you Liz 1,Anne,George 111.Even in their prime I would list under PUG. :rolleyes:

Err look at the Royalty over the centuries....not attractive...I give you Liz 1,Anne,George 111.Even in their prime I would list under PUG. :rolleyes:

I dont know, Anne looks pretty fit... I definitley would! :P

I dont know, Anne looks pretty fit... I definitley would! :P

She is over 300 years old....I think there is a name for that. :o

I thought the 50p Britannia was one of the best portrayals ever (though the standing Britannia of Ed VII florins takes some beating).

I thought the 50p Britannia was one of the best portrayals ever (though the standing Britannia of Ed VII florins takes some beating).

I liked standing Britannia but the date (forth digit)disappeared after 5 years in circulation.

I liked standing Britannia but the date (forth digit)disappeared after 5 years in circulation.

Good job none of them are rare enough to make one with a worn date worthwhile ;) (No, I don't want a worn 1905 thank you very much :D )

i didn't like the 50p though, thought it was a bit small for the coin. i prefer the bunhead.

as for the 1935 crown, you have to remember, the design it got was the fashion of the time.

i didn't like the 50p though, thought it was a bit small for the coin

I agree, but I think the most attractive Britannia design was the one on the copper farthings (1826-1859). The standing Britannia does not appeal to me on the Edward VII florins.

I also think some of the £2 Britannia designs are nicely produced :ph34r:

i didn't like the 50p though, thought it was a bit small for the coin. i prefer the bunhead.

as for the 1935 crown, you have to remember, the design it got was the fashion of the time.

Yes, you could be right. But remember, the world's first seven-sided coin must have been a bastard to design for! And it did look a lot better on the large 50p.

Yes, you could be right. But remember, the world's first seven-sided coin must have been a bastard to design for! And it did look a lot better on the large 50p.

Agreed, the larger 50p coins were much better, the same as the large 10p coins

Back to the OP - I believe the Norweb specimen of the pattern coin went for something like 16k pounds. Perhaps Rob has the exact citation...