British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

TomGoodheart

Chas I shillings

On photography a tripod is your friend too. You only need to concentrate on holding one thing. I'll post a picture of a 1937 2/- piece taken using only a tripod and available light with a very cheap digicam.

And here it is

post-7414-002817900 1344250442_thumb.jpg

Very nice. I shall have to try that. I think the tripod is in the garage (along with a zillion other things!) It has to be easier than steadying the camera on a cardboard box!

Hey, Peck, there's another one of those sneaky extra QUOTES in senumis's reply (above my response) weird! :)

I saw that! Trouble is, I would get an error message every time. Weird is right.

Well, I've had another go with the camera with slightly better results. Still took ages to get this. Not a shilling, or Charles I, but it shows my technique is improving!

Reverse.jpg

Edit. Gosh. I think my dinner plate is even bigger than Daves! :P

Edited by TomGoodheart

On photography a tripod is your friend too. You only need to concentrate on holding one thing. I'll post a picture of a 1937 2/- piece taken using only a tripod and available light with a very cheap digicam.

And here it is

post-7414-002817900 1344250442_thumb.jpg

Very nice. I shall have to try that. I think the tripod is in the garage (along with a zillion other things!) It has to be easier than steadying the camera on a cardboard box!

My troop claim I have camera shake.....could be an excuse to earn a few £ from my Ebay account.I photographed about 60 coins with which I was happy with until my daughters deleted the lot. :( I must admit that some of the non coin pictures my eldest has produced are superb.

Well, I've had another go with the camera with slightly better results. Still took ages to get this. Not a shilling, or Charles I, but it shows my technique is improving!

Reverse.jpg

Edit. Gosh. I think my dinner plate is even bigger than Daves! :P

Yes, but unlike Dave's, yours has resized to a very comfortable 39% - his don't resize at all :D

*bump* (again!) ;)

*bump* (again!) ;)

Just a thought Tom - why not put them on eBay?

*bump* (again!) ;)

Just a thought Tom - why not put them on eBay?

I probably will once I get off my arse and take some better photos. In the meantime I thought they can just sit on this thread if anyone here might be interested. I have Monday off so might see if I can remember where I put the tripod!

As far as I know, they're of virtually no interest to anyone else here, but ... I've listed my Bell mint mark and Crown over Bell coins on ebay. Both unusual mint marks for these particular obv/rev types.

post-129-050016300 1367097921_thumb.jpg 151035668906

post-129-044928900 1367097942_thumb.jpg 151035658996

I'm happy to consider offers, so feel free to pm me if you might like to break into the wonderful world of Charles I shilling micro-varieties!!!

:P

Edited by TomGoodheart

Alternatively as a special offer to Members, you can have both for £156 which includes insured, next day delivery postage!

Sorry. First one's gone now and there's a pending offer on the second.

First time ever I've had success with BIN or Best Offer on ebay!!!

Sorry. First one's gone now and there's a pending offer on the second.

First time ever I've had success with BIN or Best Offer on ebay!!!

YAY! But you do realise, now you've actually sold some, I'm not wasting any more sympathy on you? :D

YAY! But you do realise, now you've actually sold some, I'm not wasting any more sympathy on you? :D

Sympathy is nice ... but I'd rather have money!

Talking of which.. I have two more coins for sale. For those of a ..er, sympathetic nature!! :P

Before I offer them elsewhere .. first Spink 2784 Sharp B1/1 ex Alan Morris.

Creased and straightened but a decent enough grade and hard to find this early series. The first photo is a bit contrasty. In the hand it's closer to the second:

post-129-017975900 1367265134_thumb.jpg post-129-027292900 1367265238_thumb.jpg

I'm asking £175

And number two, Spink 2799, Sharp G1/2 triangle in circle.

Ragged small flan, but a very crisp portrait and probably near as struck. Still bright, though hints of toning starting to appear.

Yours for £90.

post-129-027923200 1367265564_thumb.jpg

A few more on ebay:151291735991151291713149151291722044151291744648

All with the 'Tom Goodheart' provenance of course!!

:P

"All with the 'Tom Goodheart' provenance of course!!"

Which has considerable value.

Regards

Mark

151291744648 Sold

:D

I can't help wondering about 151291722044 which looks like crown on the obverse (I can't see any trace of a tun), but listed as Tun over Crown over Bell on the reverse. A combination of marks would be most unusual, so the question is whether the reverse shows some artefact which appears to be a tun, but isn't. If the obverse had been a clear tun I might have been interested but I need to be convinced of the reverse.

Those museum copies are getting better. :rolleyes:

Those museum copies are getting better. :rolleyes:

I've had years of practice Peter! :D

I can't help wondering about 151291722044 which looks like crown on the obverse (I can't see any trace of a tun), but listed as Tun over Crown over Bell on the reverse. A combination of marks would be most unusual, so the question is whether the reverse shows some artefact which appears to be a tun, but isn't. If the obverse had been a clear tun I might have been interested but I need to be convinced of the reverse.

I know Tun makes no sense Pyx wise. But that's all I could think it might be .. I've amended the listing description.

See what you think Rob:

post-129-0-86742300-1399049245_thumb.jpg

Trace of a previous die, i.e. one before it was bell marked - so portcullis or even harp. You would need a really good hi res image to sort though. Maybe the rounded bit is the bottom half of an S? The die would not need to be recut in the same orientation as being hand held, the die axis is a lottery.

Trace of a previous die, i.e. one before it was bell marked - so portcullis or even harp. You would need a really good hi res image to sort though. Maybe the rounded bit is the bottom half of an S? The die would not need to be recut in the same orientation as being hand held, the die axis is a lottery.

I paid £100 for it in 2004. I'm open to offers from anyone happy to pay by bank transfer? :)

Edited by TomGoodheart

151291735991 Sold