British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

Price of things in William III's reign?

Here's a photo of my newest sixpence.

I wonder how much a sixpence could buy you in the late 1690s. Does anybody know of any good books or websites that look at these kind of stats? What were people's wages/what did things cost in the the 1600s-1700s.

D

post-7349-086783200 1339459383_thumb.jpg

I wonder how much a sixpence could buy you in the late 1690s. Does anybody know of any good books or websites that look at these kind of stats? What were people's wages/what did things cost in the the 1600s-1700s.

D

Hmmmm i don't want to sound suspicious, but is it genuine, something about it looks odd, the legend for instance. What is the weight, and have you a REV picture?Maybe its just me

Edited by azda

D

Hmmmm i don't want to sound suspicious, but is it genuine, something about it looks odd, the legend for instance. What is the weight, and have you a REV picture?Maybe its just me

Hi Azda, oh yikes! I hope not :/ that'd be bad news. Here's a pic of the reverse. Apologies for the poor quality. I dont have a very good camera. D

post-7349-047573200 1339461460_thumb.jpg

I can tell you that in 1690, it cost a farthing to be rowed across the Thames in London.

D

Looks fine to me! Pictures are poor, but the clincher for me is that milled edge (where you can view it)! I've got a couple of coins with a similar type of degeneration/corrosion, that I feel extremely happy are genuine.

However, as Azda said, it's always worth checking the weight, I always do this as a matter of course! My own W3 sixpences run at 2.88g/3.00g, with one as heavy as 3.12g, so still relatively variable.

Does anyone have any known W3 sixpence counterfeits they could post?

D

There are websites but cash wasn't always king and bartering was common place.

I checked a google search and it returned a 6d as having £3 buying power in 1700.

D

Looks fine to me! Pictures are poor, but the clincher for me is that milled edge (where you can view it)! I've got a couple of coins with a similar type of degeneration/corrosion, that I feel extremely happy are genuine.

However, as Azda said, it's always worth checking the weight, I always do this as a matter of course! My own W3 sixpences run at 2.88g/3.00g, with one as heavy as 3.12g, so still relatively variable.

Spookey, but just found this for sale on fleabay, quite a nice collectable, really...not a sixpence, but crown!

post-6942-021422100 1339489893_thumb.jpg

post-6942-002866800 1339489920_thumb.jpg

It has some graffitti under the harp shield and under the opposite shield is an S. Looks to have some corrosion to

It has some graffitti under the harp shield and under the opposite shield is an S. Looks to have some corrosion to

Sorry, should've mentioned it was a cast, base-metal, fake! Really spooky, having just asked if anyone had any images of W3 fakes, that I suddenly bump into one on The Bay! I'm going to have a very small pop at it myself! :)

And interestingly, whilst I can edit this post, I cannot edit the other one to note that it is a fake!

Edited by Coinery

D

Spookey, but just found this for sale on fleabay, quite a nice collectable, really...not a sixpence, but crown!

Unlike the sixpence, that crown does look a bit dodgy. It just "feels" wrong.

As for the value of a 6d in 1696, you young whippersnappers really have no idea. I remember well. You could buy a three storey house, a 30 foot luxury barque, a night out at Drury Lane Theatre with the moll of your choice on your arm, a sedan chair home, and still have change out of a sixpence. Yoong people today, dornt knor they're born, du theay? :P

D

Unlike the sixpence, that crown does look a bit dodgy. It just "feels" wrong.

As for the value of a 6d in 1696, you young whippersnappers really have no idea. I remember well. You could buy a three storey house, a 30 foot luxury barque, a night out at Drury Lane Theatre with the moll of your choice on your arm, a sedan chair home, and still have change out of a sixpence. Yoong people today, dornt knor they're born, du theay? :P

Sorry, did try to edit it, it is a fake!

Our posts overlapped!

As for editing, you only have around 15 minutes to edit a post, but I have a feeling that if someone else posts immediately after yours, you might even lose that?

D

I have one which is pourous on both sides, it did make alarm bells ring, weight is 29.5g give or take on my pish scales, dia is around the 40mm mark as it's not exactly round, see what you think

P6090561.jpg

P6090562.jpg

D

I have one which is pourous on both sides, it did make alarm bells ring, weight is 29.5g give or take on my pish scales, dia is around the 40mm mark as it's not exactly round, see what you think

P6090561.jpg

P6090562.jpg

What's the edge legend like?

Just visible, OCTAVO edge

So difficult with images, but my money says it's not good...I can't tell if that's haymarks or underlying base-metal pits! It is horribly tooled however. The hairlines beside the forehead don't even bother to follow what was a curl! Sorry, Dave, hope you didn't spend very much on it!

So difficult with images, but my money says it's not good...I can't tell if that's haymarks or underlying base-metal pits! It is horribly tooled however. The hairlines beside the forehead don't even bother to follow what was a curl! Sorry, Dave, hope you didn't spend very much on it!

What was making me itch was just above the 2nd V in GVLIELMVS , it looks to be flaking, thats when alarm bells started ringing

What was making me itch was just above the 2nd V in GVLIELMVS , it looks to be flaking, thats when alarm bells started ringing

Back on the phone, now, but I think it was the central reverse too that was 'uncomfortable'! See if you can stick it to the back of a speaker magnet!

I know people will go mad about this, but I wouldn't be without my silver testing acid!

I'm not recommending that this is done as a routine thing but, for those head-scratching challenges you occasionally come across, if you touch a tiny spot on the edge of a coin, especially one that you feel confident hasn't been plated, you'll get a positive reaction one way or the other in around 2 seconds!

I alway do this next to a running tap and thoroughly rinse it the second I've got the information I'm after. There is absolutely no signs left afterwards!

The great thing about the test is it only tests positive on high-grade silver, it doesn't change colour at all on silver alloys at .500.

Whilst it may seem sacrilege, there have been coins in the past that I have enjoyed an awful lot more for applying that final scientific conclusion!

That wouldn't have cost you more than a groat where I come from. What did you do with the other tuppence?

That wouldn't have cost you more than a groat where I come from. What did you do with the other tuppence?

Oh, I'd install an actress in a house 2 miles distance, and keep her in oysters, oranges, and mead :D

Oh, I'd install an actress in a house 2 miles distance, and keep her in oysters, oranges, and mead :D

Peck

You are Charles 11 reincarnate & I claim my £5 :)

Peck

You are Charles 11 reincarnate & I claim my £5 :)

Sorry, you weren't dressed as Nell Gwynne. No £5 for you :D

If you are really broke you could always visit baldrick from time team , down at the docks! :lol:

If you are really broke you could always visit baldrick from time team , down at the docks! :lol:

I'm afraid my name is not "Bbobbb". :D

I do believe he likes a good dig. :rolleyes: