British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Afternon all. I have just got this today and I thought I'd post it up as its square. B)

Just got me wondering about other square coins - have there been many issued?

post-7102-091485200 1339241712_thumb.jpg

Afternon all. I have just got this today and I thought I'd post it up as its square. B)

There were quite a few colonial "shaped" coins, squares, scalloped edges, all sorts!! And some nice designs as well. A great budget series for any collector, some very nice examples can be picked up for peanuts. Have a look at the British West Africa coins, British India coins, Ceylon coins etc.

Mmmm see what you mean Colin, some nice examples out there and could be a nice basis for a collection :rolleyes: ......oh gawd!!

Mmmm see what you mean Colin, some nice examples out there and could be a nice basis for a collection :rolleyes: ......oh gawd!!

One of my many side collections is the British West Africa 1/10 of a penny coins, for some reason they appealed, and I now have a near complete set, it allows me to satisfy my collecting tendencies on a cheaper level :)

Debbie

Take your purse to the Midland fair.I usually buy on the third circuit :)

Delve deep into the trays there is often a bargain.

Debbie

Take your purse to the Midland fair.I usually buy on the third circuit :)

Delve deep into the trays there is often a bargain.

Great advice. But don't waste your time on the 10p or 25p trays - go for the more expensive ones and try to see if the dealer will offer you a further discount on quantity, assuming you find some nice things.

There is also this 10 bob thingy from Guernsey:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guernsey-1966-ten-shillings-coin-EF-/350567922015?pt=UK_Coins_BritishRegional_RL&hash=item519f79f95f#ht_500wt_1180

Have a great time tomorrow! I went to my first in London 2 weeks ago, really good!

Hi, I know there are a couple of lovely Iraqi and Kurdish coins that are square. I too collected them due to their interesting shape! :) It's fun collecting curious and interesting coins ... and it keeps me distracted from sixpences when I've bought too many and am waiting for my next pay day.

What you need is a Scarborough siege coin with a Shakespeare sonnet engraved upon it! That should satisfy your need for the ultimate square 'ish' love token! :D

:rolleyes: This is a square one you might find interesting? Although I don't like the look of the green bit in the corner!

here

:rolleyes: This is a square one you might find interesting? Although I don't like the look of the green bit in the corner!

here

Although it isn't too desirable to have hammered silver in varying shades of green, if the metal wasn't mixed well it can easily occur. Civil War coinage is more prone to it as is the debased coinage of Henry VIII and Edward VI. If they were trying to miantain a certain standard, sometimes it became necessary to throw a bit of copper into the pot.

here

Although it isn't too desirable to have hammered silver in varying shades of green, if the metal wasn't mixed well it can easily occur. Civil War coinage is more prone to it as is the debased coinage of Henry VIII and Edward VI. If they were trying to miantain a certain standard, sometimes it became necessary to throw a bit of copper into the pot.

A very dangerous collectible...I would not go near this unless unlimited funds are at your disposal.

Hi Debbie , in all there have been 26 countries and territories that made square coins

and some of them made rather a lot ( India and the Netherlands )

The "coin" you have in the picture is however not a coin , it is a token from 1989 where on the one side you have a copy of a Dutch coin ( 1939) and on the other side you can get your name engraved .

If you are or any other person is interested in square coins you should read

world square coins 1900-2000

isbn 978-87-91472-01-05

any good bookshop / coinshop can order it for you , or you may even find it at your local library

regards scm

post-7775-054018200 1354268434_thumb.jpg

Hi Square Coin Man, thank you for your answer and information and welcome to the forum!

I actually collect engraved coins and love tokens, it was just because that one happened to be square I thought it a little unusual and lead me to ask about square coins. I would guess that you collect them? I have so far resisted going down that avenue myself, but please do post any examples you may have as I am sure some of use would be interested in seeing them! :)

Hi Debbie , in all there have been 26 countries and territories that made square coins

and some of them made rather a lot ( India and the Netherlands )

The "coin" you have in the picture is however not a coin , it is a token from 1989 where on the one side you have a copy of a Dutch coin ( 1939) and on the other side you can get your name engraved .

If you are or any other person is interested in square coins you should read

world square coins 1900-2000

isbn 978-87-91472-01-05

any good bookshop / coinshop can order it for you , or you may even find it at your local library

regards scm

collection would get very expensive if you go back before 1900, all those wonderful Klippe coins of the German states, Swedish plate money, and not forgetting Newark siege pieces

I have a large supply of square Guernsey 1966 10/- pieces which I will happily offload at face value to anyone that wants them.

Incidentally, talking about inappropriately square things, does anybody remember the original Austin Allegro with the 'quartic' steering wheel? Not only were they crazy enough to decide that a square wheel was a good idea but they then had to go and invent a daft name for it. Bizarre organisation, BL.

Hi Square Coin Man, thank you for your answer and information and welcome to the forum!

I actually collect engraved coins and love tokens, it was just because that one happened to be square I thought it a little unusual and lead me to ask about square coins. I would guess that you collect them? I have so far resisted going down that avenue myself, but please do post any examples you may have as I am sure some of use would be interested in seeing them! :)

Hi Debbie , interesting that you collect love tokens would love to hear more about that

as for square coins, yes I do collect them and have a rather big collection of them.

I would be more then happy to post a few here every now and then with some background information on them

As a result of a shortage of money during the first World War, the city of Ghent (belgium)decided to produce it's own money (emergency money). At first only notes were printed, but after a while the city of Ghent started minting coins as well. From 1915, coins of 0.50, 1, 2 and 5 franc were issued. This was motivated by the fact that metal coins are more difficult to counterfeit. The coin of 2 franc, 1 franc and 50 cents were designed by Georges Verbanck. The coins were made of iron, coated with brass on the obverse and copper on the reverse. The coins of 50 cent were put into circulation in July 1915. Of this particular coin 512 773 copies were issued. The production of the 2 franc started in October 1915 with a quantity of 313 709. Originally the 1 franc coin was produced in the shape of a square as well. Due to technical difficulties the municipal council of Ghent decided to produce this 1 franc coin in the shape of a circle, issued in December 1915.

The obverse of the three coins depicts a heraldic lion (symbol of courage and coat of arms of Belgium) in a double circle. In the circle we can read: "STAD GENT - VILLE DE GAND" (= city of Ghent). On the reverse we can see a circle with in the centre the value of the coin, below it "CEN", above it 1915. Legend: "UITBETAALBAAR OP 1 JANUARI 1917 - REMBOURSABLE LE 1 JANVIER 1917" (= redeemable 1st January 1917). This means that this coin could be exchanged for "normal" money from 1917.

A square coin of 1 franc was made in later years. This was in fact not a means of payment, but was sold as a token for charity. These coins were sold for 3 franc each. a 1000 of them where made in gold.

of course it is very hard to get one of the golden once , but they do show up every now and then

regards squarecoinman

post-7775-095084600 1354311268_thumb.jpg

The coins were made of iron, coated with brass on the obverse and copper on the reverse.

Oh have not heard of there being a different metal used for each side on a coin before - fascinating stuff and interesting history.Thanks for sharing.

I do find square coins to be aesthetically pleasing on the eye. I even have a square wedding ring,which I found in a junk shop - but that's another story! :)

The coins were made of iron, coated with brass on the obverse and copper on the reverse.

Oh have not heard of there being a different metal used for each side on a coin before - fascinating stuff and interesting history.Thanks for sharing.

I do find square coins to be aesthetically pleasing on the eye. I even have a square wedding ring,which I found in a junk shop - but that's another story! :)

I could not agree more with you they are pleasing for the eye. I took this story partly because they made bi-metallic coins

and I liked the idea that one would get "real money later on" I will when time permit post a few more square coins and the stories behind them.

scm

Here you go Debbie. Square and engraved! A Newark (under siege) ninepence on Mark Rasmussen's site. Rather fancy this one myself;

post-129-050058600 1354449660_thumb.jpg

Thanks Richard for showing this. Bit out of my budget unfortunately - its not really square though anyway (so I keep telling myself!) :P

Variations in the 1966 square 5 cent coin from Suriname

of course there are many different variations , as some of the coins where made with and without mint master sign

but for now i start with showing the size difference in the 66

regards scm

post-7775-061743200 1354621466_thumb.jpg

Oh no not micro varieties ...... :rolleyes: BTW where is Suriname?