British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Well, I was looking through my collection and came across this 1694 farthing I got a while back and as I was looking at it closer I noticed that it appeared as if the last "A" in Britannia was missing the cross-bar, and the first "A" does too, but that part of the coin is so dark and worn that you have to tilt it towards the light, to see what is the metal and what is the corrosion. 2m6ux4p.jpg2rygiz6.jpg

What do you all think. If it is an inverted "V" how much is it worth? I'm assuming next to nothing being as the coin is in absolute crap condition. Apologies for the terrible pictures.

Well, I was looking through my collection and came across this 1694 farthing I got a while back and as I was looking at it closer I noticed that it appeared as if the last "A" in Britannia was missing the cross-bar, and the first "A" does too, but that part of the coin is so dark and worn that you have to tilt it towards the light, to see what is the metal and what is the corrosion. 2m6ux4p.jpg2rygiz6.jpg

What do you all think. If it is an inverted "V" how much is it worth? I'm assuming next to nothing being as the coin is in absolute crap condition. Apologies for the terrible pictures.

A few people might get excited about a missing crossbar, but at the time this was added later as the V shape was used for both letters. Maybe it's worth a small premium, but not a huge amount. Spink price the various legend errors at about double the basic version, but a dire coin will always be thus. The grade on these early varieties is crucial as the bar is frequently very weak and you need the lack of wear/corrosion to be certain it is the variety claimed more often than not. High grade (EF) William and Mary or William III should always be acquired if the opportunity arises. It's b****y rare, the latter particularly so.

Oooops! I think I just made a booby, sorry.

Edited by Mongo

990439.jpg

mine :D

You trying to make Mongo feel better by showing that we all have some crap coins? :D

Edited by Peckris

You trying to make Mongo feel better by showing that we all have some crap coins? :D

Crap?? Pffffffffft! I just listed what was left over from my joblot box on eBay, as UNC of course! :P

Crap?? Pffffffffft! I just listed what was left over from my joblot box on eBay, as UNC of course! :P

But of course!