British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
TomGoodheart

Snake buckle / fastener

These things seem to go for about £25 on ebay. More in the US where they are sold as 'Confederate/ Civil War' items. It's an old military / service snake style buckle, which would have been used to fasten a belt. I understand they were popular from the early 18th century up to the 1950s.

I don't know much about it other than that. I found it, I think a year ago in Northumbria. Perhaps it's Roman :P It's uncleaned other than a wash under a tap, but some of the brass shows through the patina. As it was at the side of a track it might have been driven over at some point..

The photos show both cm and inch scales and it's quite nicely detailed. I plan on sticking it on ebay as I want the money to spend on coins more than I want to keep it, though if I had the choice ...

Anyone interested?

Top3a.jpgUndersidea.jpg

Being a beach angler it looks like a lugworm

Being a beach angler it looks like a lugworm

Well, you could try that Peter. I'm not sure you'd get many bites, but it sort of works as a hook on its own!

These things seem to go for about £25 on ebay. More in the US where they are sold as 'Confederate/ Civil War' items. It's an old military / service snake style buckle, which would have been used to fasten a belt. I understand they were popular from the early 18th century up to the 1950s.

I don't know much about it other than that. I found it, I think a year ago in Northumbria. Perhaps it's Roman :P It's uncleaned other than a wash under a tap, but some of the brass shows through the patina. As it was at the side of a track it might have been driven over at some point..

The photos show both cm and inch scales and it's quite nicely detailed. I plan on sticking it on ebay as I want the money to spend on coins more than I want to keep it, though if I had the choice ...

Anyone interested?

Top3a.jpgUndersidea.jpg

Oh those are quite common - they also come in bright red, green, yellow and orange. They're made out of sugar so you can eat them. :D

Were they not silver originally? I am sure they used to attach to brightly coloured fabric covered elastic..... snake belts, that's it!

Were they not silver originally? I am sure they used to attach to brightly coloured fabric covered elastic..... snake belts, that's it!

41gTfxdjCWL._SX342_.jpg

But before that they were made of brass and used on military uniforms around the world.

41gTfxdjCWL._SX342_.jpg

But before that they were made of brass and used on military uniforms around the world.

Nope, sorry Richard I think yours is the circa 1975 model which you have kindly shown :D

They were good belts though weren't they? It used to be a reet good laugh "twanging" the other kids at school :)

A pair of two tone stay press,a budgie jacket and a crombie.A pair of tassled loafers were also cool.Ipswich were good in those days & Newcastle were still b00l0cks even the Mackems won a cup.

I will say the Mags had the best fans and I have drunk with them at Ipswich...quality lads who liked a laugh and a spanking at pool and darts. :)

A pair of two tone stay press,a budgie jacket and a crombie.A pair of tassled loafers were also cool.Ipswich were good in those days & Newcastle were still b00l0cks even the Mackems won a cup.

I will say the Mags had the best fans and I have drunk with them at Ipswich...quality lads who liked a laugh and a spanking at pool and darts. :)

You were only good because of Sir Bobby!

41gTfxdjCWL._SX342_.jpg

I seem to remember that my snake fastener belt consisted of two snakes that clipped together, not inside a metal ring like that one.

You were only good because of Sir Bobby!

Sir Bobby was a Blue Townie.His half time talks could be heard in the North Stand.Bobby Robson's Blue and White Army.

We also sang the Bladen Races.

looks nice that :D

No bids yet, so it could still be yours Scott! :P

Richard

I hope you have change for a 1967 6d ;)

Richard

I have some nice shiny 1967 pennies. Would they do? Alternatively, now I know Churchill crowns are still valid tender .... :P

Richard

I have some nice shiny 1967 pennies. Would they do? Alternatively, now I know Churchill crowns are still valid tender .... :P

The Churchill Satin type and I will give you plenty of change ;)

Actually, didn't Bill Haley sing about this thing? "Snake Buckle and Roll"?

If it doesn't sell you will just have to use it in one of your assemblages! :)

If it doesn't sell you will just have to use it in one of your assemblages! :)

LOL That's where it was until I realised I could get some money for it!!

Well then maybey you should try and sell the actual assemblage!! :)

Any offers then? Trouble is, at 1.15 x 0.9 m (45" x 35", though being a tryptych it folds to half that) it doesn't exactly fit into an envelope, so postage will be a bit.

votivepiece-smaller.jpg

The snake buckle belongs on the left with the rest of the found objects.

Mmm I see what you mean - it is a tad on the large side! Are there any local open art exhibtions / gallery craft shops that you could submit it and/or see if they would take some of your peices on a sale or return basis? I used to paint and sold a few bits that way.

Any offers then? Trouble is, at 1.15 x 0.9 m (45" x 35", though being a tryptych it folds to half that) it doesn't exactly fit into an envelope, so postage will be a bit.

votivepiece-smaller.jpg

I bet Damien Hirst is shitting himself looking at that :D

votivepiece-smaller.jpg

You mean shitting himself and framing the result in a glass tank, don't you? :lol:

votivepiece-smaller.jpg

You mean shitting himself and framing the result in a glass tank, don't you? :lol:

I thought that was his entry 2 years ago for the Turner prize? :D

Sign in to follow this