British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

moneyer12

what else do you collect?

I collected stamps when I was a kid, this thread has just reminded me! I wonder what they are worth now?

I have an album full of hundreds GB stamps back to Victoria, lots of old mint sets and mint runs.

I might dig it out the wardrobe and have a look at them! Who knows, maybe I will start collecting them again... This forum is dangerous! :P

It's really weird. Back in the 60s, and probably for a time after that, stamps put coins right in the shade as a minority hobby. Yet now it has reversed completely, and stamps are almost nowhere. Anyone got any idea why that happened ?

I have no idea why but when I was a lad, probably around the same time as you, virtually every boy collected stamps to some extent but few collected coins. I still have my GB collection with the prize penny black and dozens of different plate numbers of penny red etc., but it's worth so little these days. Looking on eBay, you can't give first day covers away and stamps which I could only have dreamed of owning are way down in price, relative to 40 years ago.

I collected stamps when I was a kid, this thread has just reminded me! I wonder what they are worth now?

I have an album full of hundreds GB stamps back to Victoria, lots of old mint sets and mint runs.

I might dig it out the wardrobe and have a look at them! Who knows, maybe I will start collecting them again... This forum is dangerous! :P

It's really weird. Back in the 60s, and probably for a time after that, stamps put coins right in the shade as a minority hobby. Yet now it has reversed completely, and stamps are almost nowhere. Anyone got any idea why that happened ?

I have no idea why but when I was a lad, probably around the same time as you, virtually every boy collected stamps to some extent but few collected coins. I still have my GB collection with the prize penny black and dozens of different plate numbers of penny red etc., but it's worth so little these days. Looking on eBay, you can't give first day covers away and stamps which I could only have dreamed of owning are way down in price, relative to 40 years ago.

Mind you, any lad wanting to collect stamps today would need a mortgage just to buy a full set of stamps at what the Post Office charges now. And when you calculate that they issue several commems each year, it puts the cost of an annual BU coin set in the shade somewhat (and if you're hard up, you can pull new issue BU coins from your change). And who posts a letter these days when you can send an email? At least if coins go out of fashion, they will have an intrinsic metal value.

I do not collect them.... yet! but here is another little hobby of mine, meet Spidey :)

ChileRose1.jpg

ChileRose2.jpg